• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about basic inmate rights/privilages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Common belief is that people in jail get what they deserve because they are being punished. The unfortunate truth is that Prison/Jail has moved from a "correctional" system to a punishment system.

This is doing society as a whole no service.
I wholeheartedly disagree. It keeps sexual offenders off the streets. It also keeps murderers, thieves, and various other violent people off the streets. That does a great service to the law abiding members of society.

quincy

Common belief is that people in jail get what they deserve because they are being punished. The unfortunate truth is that Prison/Jail has moved from a "correctional" system to a punishment system.

I would also like to add that the folks who like to joke about prison clearly should be ashamed.

Any amount of time in jail will open your eyes pretty quickly that it is not in fact a laughing matter. I hope you don't find yourself there one day.....

You may go to prison in Massachusetts if:
you have sex and you are not married,
you have sex with someone other than your spouse,
you have anal, or oral sex with your wife or someone else,
you use the lords name in vain or deny his existence,
you live with someone, have a few drinks and make out on the couch, if you are not married.
you engage in homosexual activity
you employ an albino or midget for exhibition

Seems to me that Massachusetts is a state of criminals which would explain why they have so many police, lawyers, prosecutors, fbi agents, etc etc etc.
john legality, you are talking about laws that may still be "on the books" in Massachusetts but are no longer enforced (or enforceable). These types of laws still exist in many states (and even stranger ones that might have had some purpose long ago but are no longer relevant).

And your post really has nothing to do with CivilianKano's concern about mail delivery in Florida jails.

john legality, you are talking about laws that may still be "on the books" in Massachusetts but are no longer enforced (or enforceable). These types of laws still exist in many states (and even stranger ones that might have had some purpose long ago but are no longer relevant).

And your post really has nothing to do with CivilianKano's concern about mail delivery in Florida jails.

Its a response to the people who claim civiliankanos friend is were she deserves to be....

These antiquated laws stand as proof that our legal system is broken, if you doubt they can't be enforced, flaunt them in from of law enforcement and see what happens. Laws remaining such as this undermine our legal system, they create criminals out of everyone,,, even you holy law abide rs who think you're above everyone.

If a deluge of unenforceable laws exist side by side with enforceable one's how is a person to know what is legal and not legal?

Again allowing these laws to remain render the other laws ineffective.

quincy

Its a response to the people who claim civiliankanos friend is were she deserves to be....

These antiquated laws stand as proof that our legal system is broken, if you doubt they can't be enforced, flaunt them in from of law enforcement and see what happens. Laws remaining such as this undermine our legal system, they create criminals out of everyone,,, even you holy law abide rs who think you're above everyone.

If a deluge of unenforceable laws exist side by side with enforceable one's how is a person to know what is legal and not legal?

Again allowing these laws to remain render the other laws ineffective.
State legislatures can work to eliminate the unenforceable, antiquated laws that exist without reason, but legislators apparently have better things to do with their time (what those better things are is subject to question, however :)).

Yes, I am a law-abider but I certainly HOPE that I am not "above everyone." I like to think that most people are nice, upstanding and law-abiding - and I approach all people that way, until given good reason to believe otherwise.

If you do not know what is legal and what is not legal in your state, you can always ask.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Check John legality's posting hx before you waste any more time on him. He's got an agenda and he's prepared to advertise it as often as he can work it in.

Check John legality's posting hx before you waste any more time on him. He's got an agenda and he's prepared to advertise it as often as he can work it in.
Consider yourself lucky you are not faced with having to burden yourself with an "agenda".

To get back on topic,,,

The Jail that I have been in opened all mail, and kept many articles until i was released.

This is reasonable.

They had a cleaning schedule that was adhered to. Your safety is considered, and your basic health needs are considered.

They offer counseling, education, access to a legal library.

You have 0 privacy in all matters.

You can be restrained at any time they choose with physical force. I'm pretty sure everything I mentioned is legal.

That being said,, the lights are on 24/7, you are in a room with dozens of other men convicted of a-z crimes, it is loud 24/7, you need to be on alert 24/7. you see people get their heads smashed in. This of course is not healthy which is arguably against rights still retained as a prisoner

davew128

Seems to me that Massachusetts is a state of criminals which would explain why they have so many police, lawyers, prosecutors, fbi agents, etc etc etc.
Oh all the posts you've made, I will agree with this one 100%. The last 3 House Speakers convicted by the feds, the late Senator Chappaquidick...well that one's too easy, Former Rep. Bonnie Fwank and his then boyfriend running a brothel in their apartment and then his current boyfriend growing a pot farm, Rep. Tierney's Sgt Shultz routine on his wife laundering illegal overseas gambling money for her brother, Fmr Senate President Bulger almost assuredly aiding his brother Whitey......

It goes on and on in that state.

davew128

I have never "played" with someone that the law said it was illegal for me to "play" with.
And given that the age of consent is a relatively low 16 (compared to 18 in neighboring NY) anyone who does really does NOT have an excuse.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh all the posts you've made, I will agree with this one 100%. The last 3 House Speakers convicted by the feds, the late Senator Chappaquidick...well that one's too easy, Former Rep. Bonnie Fwank and his then boyfriend running a brothel in their apartment and then his current boyfriend growing a pot farm, Rep. Tierney's Sgt Shultz routine on his wife laundering illegal overseas gambling money for her brother, Fmr Senate President Bulger almost assuredly aiding his brother Whitey......

It goes on and on in that state.
That doesn't meant the state is full of that sort of people. Just the state government.

CivilianKano

And it is shockingly obvious that the informational links provided to the OP have not been read, perused, given a glance...
why would you say this? i thanked you for your link, it was about their mail policy and what they are allowed/not allowed to do with it. I found a great article from the ACLU about how they were challenging the postcard policy in anotehr state and how it was changed. I would like to thank you again, i contacted the ACLU to see if they can help this situation.

CivilianKano

I would also like to add that the folks who like to joke about prison clearly should be ashamed.

Any amount of time in jail will open your eyes pretty quickly that it is not in fact a laughing matter. I hope you don't find yourself there one day.....
thank you for such a considerate and way of looking at this. More empathy in this world would be nice. Maybe it says something about society by how it treats even its most malevolent characters

CivilianKano

I wholeheartedly disagree. It keeps sexual offenders off the streets. It also keeps murderers, thieves, and various other violent people off the streets. That does a great service to the law abiding members of society.
this is completely off the subject; but do honestly think all that is keeping murders, thieves and violence off the streets is the fear or the legal system? the last time i checked, jails have a 95% return rate. If you were even partly normal when you became incarcerated, you may leave a totally different person. I suppose your answer to this would to exasperate the penalties and become more barbaric- this theory is where we are today and it clearly isnt "correcting" anyone. It is in my opinion that there will always be a small minority of criminals out there; hearing you take personal pleasure seeing them be punished may make me question if you yourself are on the boundary of that minority.

CivilianKano

To get back on topic,,,

The Jail that I have been in opened all mail, and kept many articles until i was released.

This is reasonable.

They had a cleaning schedule that was adhered to. Your safety is considered, and your basic health needs are considered.

They offer counseling, education, access to a legal library.

You have 0 privacy in all matters.

You can be restrained at any time they choose with physical force. I'm pretty sure everything I mentioned is legal.

That being said,, the lights are on 24/7, you are in a room with dozens of other men convicted of a-z crimes, it is loud 24/7, you need to be on alert 24/7. you see people get their heads smashed in. This of course is not healthy which is arguably against rights still retained as a prisoner
again this is entirely off the subject, please allow me to stand on a soap box for a moment- but i expect prisoners to do their time without the fear of being raped or murdered. There should be a sense of security in a place as secure as a jail. When judges and state attorneys throw away non violent offender to the the department of corrections; its not only the mental anguish of being incarcerated they have to worry about. A 2 year term can turn into a life sentence. There is no secret about how broken DOC is, the legal system uses it as an advantage. That is why IMO if the inmate is raped, injured or murdered- everyone involved in sentencing would be an accessory because the DOC is a system of punishment and it rewards as well as works with psychopathic behavior. Because of this, statistically more men in this country are raped than women. So why arent they proud of this statistic? Why isnt it proudly displayed on the courtroom marble facade; "Commit a crime, get raped or killed" or on the prison entrance "torturing people is legal after you enter these gates, we need you!". I would like to see a society that rehabilitates its failures and helps to reintegrate them back into normal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">