• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependency with Custody Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Karl J

I disagree that the ex could never take the exemption. But, because we're delving in to hypotheticals, I'm going to stop. The OP has seen that your information is, for her, (at best) misleading. That is what counts.
I gave you the court case that says he can't. If you want to ignore the law, fine that's your choice. Seems like bad legal advice to intentionally ignore the law

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I gave you the court case that says he can't. If you want to ignore the law, fine that's your choice. Seems like bad legal advice to intentionally ignore the law
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wait wait wait...the divorce decree IS conditional on child support. So why is it when I sent in the decree they accepted it? It does state that it cannot be conditional on support and it is.
Because Karl just doesn't get it.

Karl J

Not anymore! Because now that im aware that the divorce decree is not supposed to hold up with the IRS because of their law changes on conditional decrees, doesnt that federal law trump state law? its getting a little bit confusing at this point. The fact that the decree is conditional and not allowed with the IRS anymore changes everything. Is it still contempt of court with the federal rule changes?
Read Armstrong vs Comissioner. Once you understand the tax courts position, you should see a lawyer in your state.

You won't be contempt because legally you can't give him the exemption.

Zigner

Read Armstrong vs Comissioner. Once you understand the tax courts position, you should see a lawyer in your state.

You won't be contempt because legally you can't give him the exemption.
Ya got it wrong, Karl. Either that, or CTU's implication above is correct.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Again, read Armstrong vs comissioner. OPs husband has no federal tax adavantage. He couldn't take the exemption even if both the OP and her ex agree to per Armstrong vs Comissioner.

The law is very clear here
You are not a lawyer. You are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl J

A lot of name calling towards me, but not much substance. Everything I have said is backed by the actual law, not my opinion.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A lot of name calling towards me, but not much substance. Everything I have said is backed by the actual law, not my opinion.
You state you are a lawyer, you need to be vetted by this site. You haven't been. That is going to change. And you don't know family law or what state courts can do as you don't appear to practice within them. So quit posting that a state court cannot hold a parent in contempt. They can.

Zigner

You state you are a lawyer, you need to be vetted by this site. You haven't been. That is going to change. And you don't know family law or what state courts can do as you don't appear to practice within them. So quit posting that a state court cannot hold a parent in contempt. They can.
To be fair, the OP claims to be a tax accountant, not a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">