• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 year old doesn't want to visit Dad anymore

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverplum

hence the 'stripping' tendency, 'eh silver. the things we bring to adulthood are SO rooted in our childhood.
I'm SO weird! Clearly, I can blame my parents. :p
JacobJoel said:
i got one really solid lead on a lawyer and hubby knows him AND even likes him. cool.
YAY!!!
JacobJoel said:
<sigh> and a lecture about not going to church. because, you know. going to CHURCH is the answer to all life's problems.

not.
Eh. I get lectured about that, too. :rolleyes:
I've been a regular churchgoer, and a not-at-all-goer, at diff times in my life.
While raising children: Every Single Sunday. Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Post-children? Rarely attend.
Church membership? Done with that, probably forever. :rolleyes: It's not Church...it's the dang people! :p :rolleyes:

JacobJoel

i dunno.

fifty percent of the people i have met here are divorced with acrimonious relationships w/their former spouses that they LOVE to tell you about.

and they all want you to go to THEIR church.

i know i sound arrogant, but i just can't see me doing it. not with a straight face anyway.

the X needs us to have the children on Monday's and Friday's. period.

so she can attend prayer meetings at two different locations. yeah. ok. i fight bitterness all the time.

i am probably in trouble for highjacking this thread.

wileybunch

JacobJoel - Thanks for your perspective on being a SM. I am also one as my husband has custody of his 2 children. My daughters situation is very different however. My 12 year old son absolutely adores his SM. I think she is a good person and she has done good things for my ex's relationship with my son.
I would absolutely not at all recommend you go to court to try to change anything. Your kids have a certain relationship with their dad and people he brings into their life and there's a wide spectrum of what's acceptable. I'm sure neither parent wants to try to dictate that for the other.

Your daughter and stepmom have their own relationship separate from any other child and her and it just is what it is. You don't have the whole story and never will. I would think a first step would be to talk respectfully to her father about what she's told you and say you'll leave it in his hands, maybe daughter would like to go to counseling with him sorta thing and then stay out of it.

Too often in these situations, CPs allow the child to do "splitting" which children do throughout their lives naturally, but it gets exascerbated in these situations where children can turn their back on the parent (or stepparent or extended family) that they feel like and shut them out. Not only is this bad for the parent-child relationship for the obvious reason, but I would be concerned about the future ramifications for that child to hang in there and work through their own relationship issues in the future with their own spouse, kids, and friends.

JacobJoel

you are absolutely correct in all your observations WB.

my point was she just can NOT with hold her child w/out a court order. period.

and if she is going to step into it, to do so prepared to do some serious fact finding prior to doing so. period.

and i really like that last observation on splitting. maybe the books that silver recommended would help OP as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">