• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 yr old son..moves in with grandma..she wants custody..and child spt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imalady

missouri
yes, his name was on the account...it was just the two of us and i wanted him to be able to pay bills and such should i ever be hospitalized..he's been on the account since he was 14....he was the only family member i could trust, and now i can't even trust him

nailtech

That’s my question as well, why would you put your sons name on you banking account??
The other question is, the checks he has outstanding are you required to pay them?? is your name also on that account?

Then I have to say to those who claim he may be lazy or claim parental laziness, you can do all the homework in the world, but if the child does not perform in school like in a test and you have no control over it, they still don’t make the grade, and that’s the child fault and the teachers, I know because I had one..... she did her homework cause I saw to it, then she got to school and flunked out, so I also held her back in the first grade... it was stated she was not "mature" enough to move on that year, and yes maturity has a lot to do with it.... then if they are a year behind in age that’s a double whammy....... she was classified with a learning disability in the 6th grade... so no it’s not always the parents FAULT..........

At age 19 I finally got her to graduate...... she only graduated at 19 because her BD is in March..... Not after Sept.... or July in some places.... and everyday was a challenge.....

as far as the money, tell him thats his inheritance and cut him off from there..... enough said... and chalk that up to a loss...... leave anything and everything else to a more deserving charity.... JMO...... and tell the child to sue his uncle for his money......

Last edited:
I

imalady

Missouri
I put my son's name on the account because I was teaching him how to handle money and I also wanted him to be able to take care of bills and things should I ever be hospitalized, etc. The checks he wrote were on a separate account that I closed immediately when the other account was robbed. No I'm not responsible for those checks because I closed it before he started writing them. I have totally disowned the whole family and cannot have my son return to live with me after this. I could never trust any of them ever again. The fact that the rest of the family believes their story without even asking me what my side is, is really frustrating and a real source of hurt. I am leaving my money to St Judes hospital for children.

Bre's_mom

I feel horrible about what happened. I hope things get better for you, and you giving the money to St. Judes is great... You sound like a very good person, Good luck:D:

I

imalady

thanks, imastepmomtoo...ive gotten alot of encouragement and support from people or don't know and will probably never meet and you are one of them..THANKS!!..my next project is get thru this thing in court which is Sept 12..after that Im delcaring my own independence day and going to seek out people to be my new family who are loving and caring and just good honest people, the kind i thought my blood family was. Ive learned that blood is thicker than water but that love is even thicker than blood. Thanks again for your encouragment and support...it's very much appreciated.

I

imalady

momma_tiger.........ive already answered your questions....scroll up

I

imalady

Missouri...now Grandma is asking for half of everything my son's name was on for the last 5 years, my son wants $10,000 for the stress ive put him thru plus $2000 because i showed up at his school to talk to him..they also want to know about the men ive dated, which ones ive slept with etc...they say my son wrote the bad checks he wrote cuz i didn't support him...heck he took $10,000 from me to begin with........can they get away with any of this??????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">