• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21658(I) 12500(M) 16028(I) Ticket CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Occultist

As for the lane change, I doubt there will be much you can do about that as regardless of the failure to signal, the lane change was unsafe.
Would the Law of Necessity help the OP at all? According to his post, he felt he had to change lanes due to the sudden brake in front of him and the concern of the vehicle behind him following too closely.

I'll admit I'm skeptical of such a claim since he also claims to have signaled, even if the bulb was out, which to me says there was plenty of stopping time. :confused:

I_Got_Banned

Would the Law of Necessity help the OP at all? According to her post, she felt she had to change lanes due to the sudden brake in front of her and the concern of the vehicle behind her following too closely.

I'll admit I'm skeptical of such a claim since she also claims to have signaled, even if the bulb was out, which to me says there was plenty of stopping time. :confused:
Occultist.... The OP is a "she"

She's "CurlieCutiePie" NOT "CurlyLarryMoe"... :p

But more importantly, we all know what we need to do if someone is tailgating us... Ride the brake pedal... J/K

You give yourself more room between you and the car in front of you...

Had she done that, it would NOT have been necessary for her to swing out of her lane that quickly whether she signalled or not!

CdwJava

Would the Law of Necessity help the OP at all? According to his post, he felt he had to change lanes due to the sudden brake in front of him and the concern of the vehicle behind him following too closely.

I'll admit I'm skeptical of such a claim since he also claims to have signaled, even if the bulb was out, which to me says there was plenty of stopping time. :confused:
I'll suspect that she was following too closely. But, a necessity defense is a possibility ... at least for the sudden lane change. She would still have to deal with the other offenses.

- Carl

CourtClerk

After standing in line this morning in a line that literally wrapped around 1 side of the building then back, then going inside and waiting in yet another long line, the clerk tells me my court date is in June. So I could have scheduled that online, but being that my stupid ticket says to APPEAR before the 24th, I thought I had to go in. SO ANNOYED
Yeah, I used to work at that court. Makes the county a lot of money

CourtClerk

By the way people:

Fix it tickets are NO LONGER $10, they are $25 per violation... that means 2 correctable violations, $50, 3 correctable violations, $75.

CurlieCutiePie

I didn't request an extension, That's my actual court date, I wanted to get it over with,now I have to wait!:mad: The thing is I was online the night before because I didn't know what time I had to be there and I selected the "schedule a court date" Option and it said June, but of course I didn't book it because my ticket clearly states "Appear on or before the 24th". They should word it more clearly like "you have until the 24th to schedule an upcoming court date". Would have saved me a wasted day!

I_Got_Banned

I didn't request an extension, That's my actual court date, I wanted to get it over with,now I have to wait!:mad: The thing is I was online the night before because I didn't know what time I had to be there and I selected the "schedule a court date" Option and it said June, but of course I didn't book it because my ticket clearly states "Appear on or before the 24th".
I don't know how or why that can happen!!!
I honestly think you mistakingly rescheduled it/requested and extension and it gave you that far of a date because the courts are so backed up these days...

In fact, do this... Go to the court's website and do a search either by D/L # or by citation number... And I bet you it will say "Extension" and it will list the June date in the "Status" column.

They should word it more clearly like "you have until the 24th to schedule an upcoming court date". Would have saved me a wasted day!
Well, the choices available to you when the citation is entered into the system are the same choices that are availabe on the date of your appearance... otherwise, they would have to disclose to you what changes, when and why, right?

Actually, last time I posted something about this I was corrected with a "courts have grace periods too"... I believe the do give you 10 days before it is actually changes to a "Failure To Appear". Not sure if they're being understanding and generous, or if they're "that busy" that it takes that long for the file to get from the courtroom to the clerk's office. J/K

CourtClerk

I don't know how or why that can happen!!!
I honestly think you mistakingly rescheduled it/requested and extension and it gave you that far of a date because the courts are so backed up these days...
Metropolitan Court, where this ticket is assigned is about 4 months back on tickets. They are by far the largest traffic court in the US and possibly the world. They deal with more traffic tickets than anyone else. The reason why it happened is because 12500 requires a mandatory court appearance. Had the OP read the courtesy notice (if they received it), then they would have seen that they need to schedule an arraingment date on the ticket. There was no mistake, it is proper proceedure.
In fact, do this... Go to the court's website and do a search either by D/L # or by citation number... And I bet you it will say "Extension" and it will list the June date in the "Status" column.
It will not. See above.
Well, the choices available to you when the citation is entered into the system are the same choices that are availabe on the date of your appearance... otherwise, they would have to disclose to you what changes, when and why, right?
The only choice available would have been to schedule an arraignment.

CurlieCutiePie

I never got a courtesy notice or else I would have known what time to be there. It says on the ticket that I may or may not get one, and of course I did not. I'm 100% sure I don't have an extension, I was pretty pissed when I saw the clerk writing "June" on my arraignment paper, she said the 24th was the "due date" to schedule my court appearance, not my actual court date. I learned one thing though, the back entrance line is about half the time, you can't see it from the front, you have to walk around to the back of the building. I'll be in that line next time I go.

I_Got_Banned

Had the OP read the courtesy notice (if they received it), then they would have seen that they need to schedule an arraingment date on the ticket.
The only choice available would have been to schedule an arraignment.
So what would have happened had there not been a 12500 in this particular citation? Would she have been able to see the judge on her scedulled court date listed on the citation?

CourtClerk

So what would have happened had there not been a 12500 in this particular citation? Would she have been able to see the judge on her scedulled court date listed on the citation?
The date on the bottom of the citation is NOT a court date, rather, it is a due date. A date to pay the ticket, or make an arrangement on the ticket. If the 12500 were not on the ticket, the OP would have been able to (1) pay the ticket and/or pay it and request traffic school (and show proof of correction for the insurance) (2) request an extension (3) pay the bail and plead not guilty (4) schedule an arraignment.

Because of the 12500, it makes it a mandatory court appearance, UNLESS the OP actually did have a valid driver license on the date the ticket was issued, then the court can amend the violation and you can pay the POC fee.

I_Got_Banned

The date on the bottom of the citation is NOT a court date, rather, it is a due date. A date to pay the ticket, or make an arrangement on the ticket. If the 12500 were not on the ticket, the OP would have been able to (1) pay the ticket and/or pay it and request traffic school (and show proof of correction for the insurance) (2) request an extension (3) pay the bail and plead not guilty (4) schedule an arraignment.
First, let me apologize to CurlieCutiePie for the thread-jacking... But...
If I choose #3, and considering the fact that I am "entering a plea", does that grant me a trial date within 45 days, or am I waiving my right to a speedy trial because an actual "commissioner" didn't hear my plea?

I_Got_Banned

If I choose #3, and considering the fact that I am "entering a plea", does that grant me a trial date within 45 days, or am I waiving my right to a speedy trial because an actual "commissioner" didn't hear my plea?
I think I got ignored! Wonder if I hit on a nerve... :p

CourtClerk

I think I got ignored! Wonder if I hit on a nerve... :p
Me, ignore you???? Never that. :cool: I never saw the question... sorry.

Yes, you would get a trial within 45 days unless you waived time. You do not have to go before the judge to enter your plea. You can do that at the traffic window.

I still love ya IGB :p

I_Got_Banned

Me, ignore you???? Never that. :cool: I never saw the question... sorry.

Yes, you would get a trial within 45 days unless you waived time. You do not have to go before the judge to enter your plea. You can do that at the traffic window.

I still love ya IGB :p
:blushing:

I love you more CC!

Thanks for the reply... & with all this love, there's no need to say "sorry". :p

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">