• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advertisements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Maybe it was a mistake and they meant Instant Pot since they'll be collectables now that the company that makes them (along with pyrex) has declared bankruptcy.
Banking on things like appliances to be collectibles that will end up increasing substantially in the future is often a losing bet. Look at eBay or other second hand outlets and you'll not find a lot that is selling for more than the price new, even before taking into account inflation. With inflation, the return on most of these items is absmyl. There are some things that are particuarly special that people will pay a premium to get, mostly those that are very desireable and limited in supply.

With millions of instant pots out there (and pyrex and corning ware) I don't see that premium coming for a lot of years down the road, if ever. Note that Instant brands filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which is a restructuring of debt. A lot of companies survive that process intact and some go on to thrive. So the Instant Pot is not dead yet. They are still being sold and still sell reasonably well. But they face a common problem of market saturation leading to lower sales because there are now very few new buyers to attract to boost sales. They also got caught in the Pandemic problem that cursed many makers of things for the home. Sales of that stuff skyrocketed during the pandemic and those companies were riding high. They didn't plan for the inevitable drop when the pandemic ended. Instant Brands took on a lot of debt to expand to meet the covid era demand and that debt burden is now weighing them down. So, at least for now, there is no indication that Instant Pots won't continue to be sold for years to come. It's a little early to start chasing them as potential collectibles.

LdiJ

Sigh... I should have used an emoji. It was a joke.

I have a 6-qt Instant Pot and want to get an 8-qt eventually.
Don't bother, you will be disappointed. The 8 quart is not bigger overall, it is just taller. I found it to be a waste of money and returned it. For an example (these are not the dimensions, I am just guesstimating.) If the 4 quart has a bottom diameter of 8 inches (in the pot part) and is 6 inches tall, then the 6 quart is still 8 inches at the bottom but is 9 inches tall, and the 8 quart is still 8 inches at the bottom and is 12 inches tall. Therefore, for a lot of the functions bigger isn't more useful.

bcr229

Don't bother, you will be disappointed. The 8 quart is not bigger overall, it is just taller. I found it to be a waste of money and returned it. For an example (these are not the dimensions, I am just guesstimating.) If the 4 quart has a bottom diameter of 8 inches (in the pot part) and is 6 inches tall, then the 6 quart is still 8 inches at the bottom but is 9 inches tall, and the 8 quart is still 8 inches at the bottom and is 12 inches tall. Therefore, for a lot of the functions bigger isn't more useful.
Thanks for the info. I wanted to use it for bulk batches of chili or bone broth recipes but it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the expenditure to get a second IP just for that.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
According to the Instant Pot company figures, I see about a one inch difference in the inner width of the 6 quart vs 8 qt models. Not very big so I can see why it appears to be the same size. The difference in height, as you noted, is much more significant. I didn't realize this until you mentioned it. It means the bigger ones are great if you are doing things that involve a lot of liquid, but not so great if you want to put a longer piece of meat (or whatever) on the bottom. That takes away some enthusiasm I'd have in upgrading sizes.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Thanks for the info. I wanted to use it for bulk batches of chili or bone broth recipes but it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the expenditure to get a second IP just for that.
I use a slow cooker for such. For bone broth, I freeze chicken carcasses (*) after roasting (or the bones if I do parts) until I have enough, then stick them in the slow cooker (I have an 8qt for just this purpose) overnight on low.

Bulk batches of chili, stew, or beans, I tend to do during the day, so I can give the occasional stir.

(*) I don't do beef bones as those are reserved for the dogs. LOL I used to make it when Dad was alive, but mostly because he'd get mad that the dogs got marrow bones and he didn't!

bcr229

I do beef bone broth too, but I just put half an angus steer in the freezer and I got four large bags of bones with it. So, the dog can spare a few.

LdiJ

I bought the glass lid accessory for my instant pot and with that it makes a decent slow cooker, too. May not surpass the classic Crock Pot, but saving the money and cabinet space is a good trade off. :)
Believe it or not I have 4 crock pots. I have a 1.5 quart, a 4 quart, a 6 quart and an 8 quart. I use them all for various things. I gave up on the Instant Pots.

LdiJ

According to the Instant Pot company figures, I see about a one inch difference in the inner width of the 6 quart vs 8 qt models. Not very big so I can see why it appears to be the same size. The difference in height, as you noted, is much more significant. I didn't realize this until you mentioned it. It means the bigger ones are great if you are doing things that involve a lot of liquid, but not so great if you want to put a longer piece of meat (or whatever) on the bottom. That takes away some enthusiasm I'd have in upgrading sizes.
I didn't notice any difference. The accessories that went with them were exactly the same size too. However, as you said, an inch isn't much if you are talking about a circumference so I could have missed it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">