• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An Update RE: Brenda's aka KMH1225 Story

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugaboo

As most of you know, Monday was Brenda's (KMH1225) appointment for her attorney. When we didn't hear anything from her, Raddad called a few times and left messages. Today he received this letter in his email. It is from her room mate.

Dear Thomas & Shannon,
My name is Karen. It is my house that Brenda Lindsey has been staying at. I have some news for you that I feel is only fair that you know.
I met Brenda approx. 3 weeks ago, through a mutual friend. I liked Brenda from the first time I met her. You see, I am a "Foster Parent" who is extremely aware of how disfunctional CPS is in Arizona. I listened to Brenda's story about her children and, as you did, wanted to help her. I brought her into my home in Scottsdale and started on a game plan to get her children back. I am an Architect and have quite a few connections to "rattle" CPS. I am also one month younger than Brenda's mother. (My point is that I have alittle bit more life experience than Brenda!!!) Any way, on Monday, July 15th, my truck was in the shop getting new brakes, so I rented a car and took the day off work to get Brenda to her attorney's appointment that you set-up for her. At 2:00pm we arrived at the attorney.
The news was pretty much what I expected. Brenda was one week away from her children going up adoption by the state, because she has neglected to keep in contact with her "whereabouts" with CPS. In the state of Arizona, anything over 8 weeks of "NO CONTACT" is considered abandonment by the mother. Brenda literally collapsed in the attorneys office. I felt bad because I knew what had happened. You see, I come from a family history of extreme depression, Brenda had gotten sooooo depressed about the issue with her children that "time" got past her before she realized it. Brenda told the Attorney that Audry Surrett was her caseworker, so the attorney called CPS while we sat in her office and apparently Audry Surrett was terminated the first of April. Brenda had a new caseworker and did not know it. She was also appointed a public deffender & did not know that either. I asked the attorney to call CPS back to find out if we could visit them immediately, so she did. We left.
I was not able to go in the office with Brenda when we arrived, but this new caseworker was extremely compassionate to Brenda's case. She told Brenda that her children ask about her often and miss her terribly. She told Brenda that she needed to go immediately to "TASC" to drop a UA, then the case worker would set up a meeting to try to help Brenda get another chance. Brenda did not know whether to laugh or cry when she walked out. Everything was looking brighter!!!! I asked Brenda to drop me off at home, so I could get some work done, before stopping at "TASC." She complied.
Unfortunately, .................
I HAVE NOT SEEN BRENDA SINCE MONDAY AROUND 6:00PM.
Brenda has stolen the rental car that I had gotten. I have contacted a few people who knew her and apparently missed her every time by minutes. The rental car was due in on Tues. at 10:00am. When she never came home the night before I started calling hospitals, police, jail, ect. By 6:00pm Tuesday evening I was left with NO CHOICE, but to report the car stolen.
I have to apologize for not answering the telephone when you've called. I was really trying to give Brenda the benefit of the doubt, that she would return soon. Today is Thursday and I can no longer hide from the phone calls from her case manager, nor you. I know she is OK, because like I said, I've missed her by minutes @ people's homes, but she has left me in a terrible situation and it looks like a very costly one, too. To top it off, I'm hurt that this is the way that not only myself, but you and the case worker have been repaid for allowing her a second chance. I don't know what she is thinking. But she is in for a huge surprise is the police catch her, before me. Grand Theft Auto is not settling easily with CPS right now. I'm afraid her chances are over.
I'm sorry to bring you this news. The two of you have been a "God Send" and I can assure you, you have have restored my faith in human nature.I was really hoping that she would show up by now to return the car, but it does not look like that is going to be the case. I will keep you updated if I hear anything, but as of now, please "DELETE" the website that you have made for Brenda. In my oppinion she is not deserving of it. Put the $$$$ towards your attorney fees. I definately wish you the best of luck. Please feel free to call me if you have any other questions. I promise I will answer my phone now!!!!!
Sincerely, Karen

Needless to say, we were shocked. We hope and pray that Brenda gets the help that she needs, whatever it may be. The webpage has been taken down along with the posts that were on the message board on help4dads. Please, lets all keep her and her children in our prayers.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How sad...

And I was going to send off a check this w/e when I was doing my bills. Seems there must have been much more to the story than anyone was told. :( I just hope it doesn't discourage anyone who wanted and tried to help.

And that Brenda, but especially her kids, get the help they so desperately need. sigh....

bugaboo

Thanks MommaTiger...

For your kind words. I just couldn't believe what I read! Ya' know, it makes it to where I am real skeptical to help anybody. I do know that if we help anybody else that we will do ALL investigations first! We should have gotten all the phone numbers to CPS and caseworkers berfore anything else. At least it only cost us $35.00 (paid directly to the Attorney Referral Service) and we didn't pay the $100.00. I just hope and pray that her children are well taken care of and happy. The children deserve to be happy and healthy, NO MATTER WHAT!

Again thank you everyone for your support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The thing to remember is that none of this is a reflection on anyone who tried to help. Hearts were in the right place - unfortunately they were taken advantage of. But you did the right thing - and that's always worth doing.

Grace_Adler

Damn, this is bugging me. I want to know what happened to her and if this person is telling the truth. I assume they are. I agree with you guys and hope everything works out in the end.

4LilMan

Well, I guess we all learned a lesson, huh? I wanted to know what happened to her and I was hoping to hear that this woman succeeded in her attempt to get her children back. But this shows us that there are 2 sides to every story. How sad for the kids. Mom must really have something wrong with her emotionally to just take off and leave the situation & with a rental car in which another person who opened their home up to her is financially obligated. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I find that part in the letter unusual that she has not had contact with her children in over 8 wks. It kind of makes me question whether she really wanted the kids back or not. No parent would not contact their children for that long if they were dying inside like she said she was. She could have seen them under supervision or called them, couldn't she? You all who tried to help her, I still have the utmost respect for you & I am sure I speak for everyone else as well. It is not your fault that she didn't take advantage of the situation and get her children back. I know that you all did it for the kids and now nothing has come out of it. But you know, there is nothing that you can do about it. It is in the hands of God now. They will be taken care of regardless. I guess the kids are going to be adopted then? You know Brenda could have just had a nervous break down ... who knows. I just hope that these kids get to see their mom again b/c now they have to suffer the consequences when all that they wanted was their mom, family, and home back. Very sad. :(

CMSC

Well, I was really hoping when I told raddad to be careful that I was completely insane and this woman really needed help but I guess I was right. Sometimes you should follow your gut farther than your heart.

There might be a very quick answer to all this....

Did Brenda show up for her UA? Did she drop dirty or know she was going to drop dirty so just didnt go? From her posts, the comments made about her ... "soft spoken, sweet" from Raddadthomas ... "so depressed time got away from her"... from the woman who had her car stolen ... it sounds very suspiciously like a drug problem. My guess would be heroin or crack cocaine because addicts to either of those would fit those descriptions. And no, I wouldn't think a room mate of 3 weeks would necessarily be able to tell. I worked with someone for 3 years before finding out he was a crack head. And he seemed like a nice, clean cut, hardworking, ex-military, family guy.

Convicts and drug addicts, especially drug-addicted convicts, are the one class of parents that regularly loose parental rights and have the hardest time getting children back. Particularly if they were placed together in a stable, loving foster home that is interested in adopting the kids. It may sound heartless, but it is one of the only circumstances (other than extreme physical abuse or neglect or sexual abuse) in which I whole heartedly agree that all parental rights should be terminated.

I also agree with all the sentiments expressed here ... the compassion that poured out of the posters on this board was beautiful to see. And yes, I was an early skeptic, and that doesn't make me proud that I smelled something sour. It actually makes me very sad that I am as skeptical and cynical as I am. I envy all of you the wonderful feelings of compassion you felt as you believed you were reaching out to champion a poor, lost soul. And I fervently pray that the next time you feel moved, you act just as swiftly and just as compassionately. Better to be burned on occasion than not to feel the glow.

Grace_Adler

I was going to say the same thing about the drugs!! I know someone who is/was a crack addict that does the same type of things. Alot of times it's impulsive. He's a very good friend of mine, I've known him for 19 years. He's nice, generous, compassionate..ect. He just has these compulsive things whatever you want to call it..happen. He's been clean for about 6 months now and goes to meetings and I try to be supportive of him for that.

Sometimes it's almost impossible for someone to get clean but every once in a while it happens. I saw a report on Dateline or one of those shows where there were about 3 or 4 mothers trying to get their children back from CPS and foster care. This took place in IN. Miraculously the only one who got their child back was the crack addict. She really cleaned her life up. The one least likely predicted to do a turn around was the one who did.

Curiousity is killing me as to what's going on. I'm a very compassionate and empathetic person and sometimes too nice but at the same time I'm extremely suspicuous, cynical and skeptical too. I guess we'll never know though. I still think it was great of you to try and go out of your way to help. At least there are still some decent people in this world left.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
IL Parent.....

I sometimes feel like I must be a real stoop... Yeah, I had the same gut feeling. But I could help but think "what if?"... I tend to get caught up in these things - did so right before Christmas last year. I ended up shelling out for 2 GameBoy Advances + a game each. Couple days after Christmas, I felt like as stoop when MOm came up b*tching again. *BUT*..... those kids had a Christmas to remember ;-) And that made it all worthwhile.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Re: Re: Re: An Update RE: Brenda's aka KMH1225 Story

ryry's mom said:

I had the same question!
I was going to suggest that anything received be donated to some children's charity.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

ok I'm busting at the seams..

I want to say what I think but I'll leave it at this.. go read Brendas original post then re-read the first post on this thread. Some of the same wording, same use of dramatics to explain circumstances...

Gotta say I'm getting pretty suspicious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">