• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ankle monitor GPS as condition of probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeguardKevin

Have paid all the fines I owe ahead of schedule, whew!. My P.O. sees that but remains very strick, says its still too early to be asking to go to Cal. for gf's graduation. At this point Im not at all certain. Stopped asking him about taking off the ankle monitor because after seeing yall on here didn't wanna make him any madder!

Rwedunyet

I'm very glad to hear you have a strict PO!!!! Thank him/her for me, then thank him/her for yourself, as well.

I have a brother who is currently in prison due to his 4th DUI (and some other weighty crimes). He's lost his home, his job, his car, his wife, and his child. The loss of the child is permanent, and I adopted that child.

What he has done has caused a tremendous amount of pain to our family, and my poor mother has aged considerably in the past couple years as she worried who he was going to end up killing with his next DUI. My family is hurt and has changed in a way that can never be mended.

It's great to hear that you've paid off your fines already! Your attitude seems MUCH improved, as well. Please continue to be compliant, and soak in every lesson that you are being taught. Hang on to these lessons, and dont make this mistake again.

And so you know, the mean direct lady from NC had a little happy tear in her eye after your update. Way to man up! and for what it's worth, I'm proud of you! :)

Last edited:

justalayman

I'm very glad to hear you have a strict PO!!!! Thank him/her for me, then thank him/her for yourself, as well.

I have a brother who is currently in prison due to his 4th DUI (and some other weighty crimes). He's lost his home, his job, his car, his wife, and his child. The loss of the child is permanent, and I adopted that child.

What he has done has caused a tremendous amount of pain to our family, and my poor mother has aged considerably in the past couple years as she worried who he was going to end up killing with his next DUI. My family is hurt and has changed in a way that can never be mended.

It's great to hear that you've paid off your fines already! Your attitude seems MUCH improved, as well. Please continue to be compliant, and soak in every lesson that you are being taught. Hang on to these lessons, and dont make this mistake again.

And so you know, the mean direct lady from NC had a little happy tear in her eye after your update. Way to man up! and for what it's worth, I'm proud of you! :)
you deserve as much or more sympathy and compassion than I given our respective experiences dealing with DUI drivers. I don't even know what to say other than; Wow!!!

Rwedunyet

Layman, how sweet of you. But pain is pain is pain. We both have painful memories that will carry with us for the rest of our lives, and I am sure there is some anger involved as well (I know that I get angry at times). One is no greater than the other.

I just hope that the OP will continue to learn something from it. It will make it seem to not be in vain.

witzeroni

Some of these laws make no sense. I haven't even heard of murderers who have to wear these things when they get out of prison. Remember, dui's are BIG business. MADD isn't run by kind old ladies - it is a HUGE money making business, which is part of the reason why dui's are so expensive. Do you think they make rapists or murderers sit in front of panels and pay out thousands of dollars?? It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these posters are on the MADD payroll.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some of these laws make no sense. I haven't even heard of murderers who have to wear these things when they get out of prison. Remember, dui's are BIG business. MADD isn't run by kind old ladies - it is a HUGE money making business, which is part of the reason why dui's are so expensive. Do you think they make rapists or murderers sit in front of panels and pay out thousands of dollars?? It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these posters are on the MADD payroll.
I suppose that you got caught endangering the lives of others by driving while intoxicated, so know you want to have your rant. :rolleyes:

witzeroni

Driving with a cellphone is more dangerous then driving drunk. Pretty soon you and your fellow MADD employees will be competing against a MACD (mothers against cell driving) for more funds for when somebody is caught phoning and driving.

FlyingRon

Driving with a cellphone is more dangerous then driving drunk. Pretty soon you and your fellow MADD employees will be competing against a MACD (mothers against cell driving) for more funds for when somebody is caught phoning and driving.
That remains to be seen. The "evidence" is far from compelling and it has been shown that the anti-cell statutes haven't changed things much.

CdwJava

Some of these laws make no sense. I haven't even heard of murderers who have to wear these things when they get out of prison.
Some do. It depends on their propensity to reoffend and the laws of the state in question. Since such monitoring can be expensive, it's not always a viable option unless the offender poses a reasonable and foreseeable threat to the community.

But, the OP is not coming out of prison, he's wanting to avoid incarceration and they are offering the ankle monitor as an option. He can always refuse or violate probation and serve his jail time if he doesn't like the conditions.

Remember, dui's are BIG business.
Yeah, lawyers make some money, morticians, too - even mechanics. Hospitals, doctors, etc. Yep, big business.

MADD isn't run by kind old ladies - it is a HUGE money making business, which is part of the reason why dui's are so expensive.
Funny ... I don't see anything in the law funneling money from fines to MADD or any other private organization.

Are you arguing that impaired driving is benign and okay? Really?? Should we really let it go? :eek:

Do you think they make rapists or murderers sit in front of panels and pay out thousands of dollars??
First, they don't usually HAVE thousands of dollars. Second, yes, they do ... I have seen both rapists and murderers attend panels and victim impact seminars to discuss their crimes. DUI offenders often have an option to atone for their crimes by engaging in education. Sounds like a great means of restorative justice to me.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these posters are on the MADD payroll.
Nope. Never received a penny from MADD, nor contributed to them. But, I am an SFST instructor (i.e. I teach officers how to investigate DUI) and have seen the carnage that results from this crime that you seem to think is little more than a money-making scheme!

CdwJava

Driving with a cellphone is more dangerous then driving drunk.
Got an objective source for that claim?

This is simply not true in CA ... you want the stats?

Pretty soon you and your fellow MADD employees will be competing against a MACD (mothers against cell driving) for more funds for when somebody is caught phoning and driving.
Let me guess ... you were once (or more) convicted of DUI?

justalayman

Got an objective source for that claim?

This is simply not true in CA ... you want the stats?

Let me guess ... you were once (or more) convicted of DUI?
this guy is running all over ranting about MADD and the unfairness of DUI laws. Haven't seen him post anything useful yet.

CdwJava

this guy is running all over ranting about MADD and the unfairness of DUI laws. Haven't seen him post anything useful yet.
I love how some people rant against MADD when the laws are crafted by legislatures, enforced by cops, and supported by the public-at-large. MADD and similar advocacy groups wouldn't enjoy such support if theirs was not a good cause.

witzeroni

I love how some people rant against MADD when the laws are crafted by legislatures, enforced by cops, and supported by the public-at-large. MADD and similar advocacy groups wouldn't enjoy such support if theirs was not a good cause.
Abortion on demand applies to what you say also. However, if you think that is good law and planned parenthood is a good organization, then you are a hypocrite to pretend to care about the lives lost via dui, while not caring about the lives lost thru abortion. In case you don't know, the media often portrays good as bad and bad as good.

justalayman

Abortion on demand applies to what you say also. However, if you think that is good law and planned parenthood is a good organization, then you are a hypocrite to pretend to care about the lives lost via dui, while not caring about the lives lost thru abortion. In case you don't know, the media often portrays good as bad and bad as good.
ok, I'm anti-abortion so now what?

witzeroni

ok, I'm anti-abortion so now what?
From wikipedia:
MADD promotes the use of victim impact panels (VIPs), in which judges require DWI offenders to hear victims or relatives of victims of drunk driving crashes relate their experiences. MADD received $5,547,693 in 2010[25] from VIPs; In 2009 MADD took in $41,006,038 and paid salaries of $20,537,936, over half of their income.

I'm going to create a new group called DACD (dudes against cell-phone driving). If caught driving with a cell phone you will have to pay my organization and panelists who have been harmed by cell phone drivers big bucks. If you criticize the organization, then I will blast you, because it is a good organization. If convicted of CWD (cell-phone while driving) - you will have to a special device in your car that records your every actions so the state can be assured you are not talking on the phone while driving. Please donate directly to my organization - it will keep us all safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">