• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are the police allowed to speed without sirens? [WA]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_bo

Your inference that we should wait until a negligent driver broadsides a car and kills someone, possibly you (and you know your Mom wouldn’t be happy about that) is just as ridiculous as your idea to abolish speed limits.

Even in a country where the idea of the autobahn is acceptable, do they not have speed limits for when you're NOT on the autobahn?

I think the original point was not that speed limits should be abolished, but that cops should adhere to them when not in an emergency response mode. To this I agree. Also, I don't know of any law that allows cops to speed when not in an emergency response. I see Carl has chimed in a couple of times and he hasn't listed any. If there is a law, I'd like to see it.

I had a friend who was a highway patrolman. He routinely would simply set his cruise control on 100. After all... who was going to give him a ticket????

The Occultist

I think the original point was not that speed limits should be abolished, but that cops should adhere to them when not in an emergency response mode. To this I agree. Also, I don't know of any law that allows cops to speed when not in an emergency response. I see Carl has chimed in a couple of times and he hasn't listed any. If there is a law, I'd like to see it.

I had a friend who was a highway patrolman. He routinely would simply set his cruise control on 100. After all... who was going to give him a ticket????
The failing point here is that you don't know whether or not the police is responding to an emergency situation!

GAAAH! Stop continuing this argument!

Jim_bo

The failing point here is that you don't know whether or not the police is responding to an emergency situation!

GAAAH! Stop continuing this argument!
Sure I should know... that's why he has big flashing lights on his roof!!! It is to inform people that he is in an emergency response mode and they are to yield to him. Without the pretty blue lights, he appears to simply be a nut who is driving crazy fast when viewed from a rear-view mirror.

I_Got_Banned

I would have to agree with you there as well. The problem with that is we never know if a cop is on a code 1 emergency call at which point, who's gonna stop him and ask him if he's speeding or trying to get to a call where he might need approach quietly...

Somebody posted an news article a while back about this same topic...

I_Got_Banned

Sure I should know... that's why he has big flashing lights on his roof!!! It is to inform people that he is in an emergency response mode and they are to yield to him. Without the pretty blue lights, he appears to simply be a nut who is driving crazy fast when viewed from a rear-view mirror.
Actually... they're blue and red... trust me, I know... Usually difficult to see both colors with that 10 millon candle torch lighting my azz up but I can still see the faint red and blue hue through there!

And again, a code one call, as racer has stated means no light and no sirens.

CdwJava

The officer adopts the liability if he responds in a manner that is outside state law and agency policy. And, yes, officers have had their tails handed to them civilly and criminally for it. They can also get spanked by supervisors for their driving. Just today I had to give a "counseling" to one of my officers for his driving and an unsafe lane change as he was trying to flip a U-Turn to catch up to a violator.

No, Jim, no one is likely to give the officer a ticket. They shouldn't do it, but they do. The officer makes a conscious decision to get from point A to point B in as expeditious a manner as possible ... most the time, the caller is thankful we did so. If the responding officers DID adhere 100% to the Vehicle Code, well, the public wouldn't stand for the drastic increase in response time. But, if that's what the local community wants, they can insist upon it. Our Sheriff did that a few years ago ... oops! The community almost hung him in effigy ... call responses rose to 30 minutes or more, and a lot of people got ripped off or beat up because of it. The policy lasted a whole 30 days, as I recall.

- Carl

Jim_bo

The officer adopts the liability if he responds in a manner that is outside state law and agency policy. And, yes, officers have had their tails handed to them civilly and criminally for it. They can also get spanked by supervisors for their driving. Just today I had to give a "counseling" to one of my officers for his driving and an unsafe lane change as he was trying to flip a U-Turn to catch up to a violator.
Cool... I get a big fat ticket, and he gets "counseled". How about next time I get a ticket I just go to court and ask for counseling?? Or is the double standard not obvious enough???

No, Jim, no one is likely to give the officer a ticket. They shouldn't do it, but they do. The officer makes a conscious decision to get from point A to point B in as expeditious a manner as possible ... most the time, the caller is thankful we did so. If the responding officers DID adhere 100% to the Vehicle Code, well, the public wouldn't stand for the drastic increase in response time. But, if that's what the local community wants, they can insist upon it. Our Sheriff did that a few years ago ... oops! The community almost hung him in effigy ... call responses rose to 30 minutes or more, and a lot of people got ripped off or beat up because of it. The policy lasted a whole 30 days, as I recall.

- Carl
First of all, I just don't see why a cop can't turn on his lights if he needs to drive excessively fast to respond to a call. Secondly, I can imagine that your above example likely resulted from a case of malicious compliance. Cops aren't above acting like spoiled brats.

Avery'smom

My step-father who is a police officer (Arkansas) has said that it is now against policy to respond to a call without using the lights. Several People have called and reported speeding officers with no lights and those officers have been written up (my step-father included). I hate to say it but too many officers take advantage of their authority and speed up and down the highways. Several have caused accidents when in non-response mode.

I_Got_Banned

Cool... I get a big fat ticket, and he gets "counseled". How about next time I get a ticket I just go to court and ask for counseling?? Or is the double standard not obvious enough???
You can... It's called Traffic School... Just make sure you don't take your case to trial... 'cause you can't get traffic school after you go to trial!!! :D

Jim_bo

You can... It's called Traffic School... Just make sure you don't take your case to trial... 'cause you can't get traffic school after you go to trial!!! :D
Counseling doesn't have a big fat fine that comes with it... traffic school does. I want the same standards the cops get.

Jim_bo

From the article IGB cited:

Then in June 2006, Officer Alexander Griss, 23, hit Althea McKay, 39, a pedestrian on Federal Highway. Her body flew 102 feet. She died.

The global positioning system, manufactured by Trimble and called "The Placer," reported that Griss reached 91 mph where the limit was 40. He was not on his way to a call.
If we have the technology to use satelites to determine a vehicle's speed anywhere on the face of the earth.... I am sure we can determine if he is on a legitimate call or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">