• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona bill awaiting signature by the governor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

One thing I'm curious about. Accepting for the sake of discussion that homosexuality is a sin, why are so many religious people and institutions so singularly focused on this one? It seems to me that loving the "wrong" person pales in comparison to a number of sins that one could commit that have a far worse effect. The seven deadly ones come to mind, as well as the original "Top-10 List".
They're NOT so focused on that one. But, there are some in the media and with political agendas that seem to want to make homosexuality a big issue and a huge controversy. Headlines allow for political posturing, and such posturing is publicity.

And, ya know, if people of faith weren't being penalized for acting on their faith when it doesn't harm anyone else, there'd be no need for such legislation to remind us of the First Amendment and Freedom of Religion.

Last edited:

Rwedunyet

Bigots aren't born, they're made.
Hmmmm. However, if I say Homosexuals are born that way, they choose to be that way, then I am awful. Perhaps my thoughts and opinions are formulated within my genetic code. Perhaps, I choose to belief what I belief. (try to choose to believe in Santa Claus and see what happens). Either way, there is nothing wrong, nor harmful in what I think. Now, I could attempt to use my thoughts and beliefs to validate harmful actions, and that would be a different and criminal story.

BTW, I was raised in a devoutly atheist family who finds my beliefs contrary. They sure didnt make me believe the things that I believe.

Though at least you don't think it's right to legislate based on your bias.
Just as it it not right to legislate based on YOUR opinion.

And your coworker is obviously strong enough to deal with your opinion of his orientation.
Yes, he is strong enough to deal with my opinion. And, I'll brag a little here, I am strong enough to deal with his opinion on my thoughts and beliefs. It's called common courtesy, and respect for a fellow human being. It's made a wonderful friendship that fosters love and respect. Do you think that legislature will do the same?

The problem is that when preachers preach about the immorality of being gay, kids hear it. Gay kids hear it and it contributes to depression and feelings of guilt and worthlessness. Straight kids hear it and it contributes to bullying. So yeah, that kind of public speech is hateful and damaging even if it's stated in a more gentle manner than WBC uses.
Any preacher that preaches hate for any reason should be ashamed. A Christian preacher is bound to preach Bible based truth, and that alone. If they preach other than that, they are not a Christian and not a Preacher, IMO.

Yes, they have the right to preach what they want, but I also have the right to condemn them for it.
So you have a right to your opinion and a right to condemn others for their opinion, but others do not have the same rights? It's damaging if they do? If so, then ok, yup it's your right. But your double standard is just as big as my bigotry.

I do think sexual orientation should be protected under federal law just like race or religion, and that day is coming (hopefully soon). And when it does, it won't be infringing on anyone's religious freedom.
I think that PEOPLE should be protected under federal law to protect them from injury or damage, and that all people should have that protection, whether they are purple or pink or straight or gay, or whatever. Hurt feelings is just not a good enough reason to invoke laws allowing or disallowing anything. And, if I were to end up sitting in a Church in which the Preacher could not quote a specific verse from the Bible, then yes, it would be an infringement on my religious freedom.

I'm very glad that we live in a country that will allow us to have this conversation openly. I'm GLAD that you can openly say that you disagree with me. But it does alarm me that so many people are saying that others should be condemned and legally controlled for the opinions that they have. Can you draw a strong enough line in the sand to prevent the next step becoming a condemnation of YOUR opinions?

It alarms me that when there is a sociological problem the answer is more legislation, more control for the government. It seems as though we are surrendering to the moral police on too many subjects, when just some basic common sense and common courtesy would fix the major issues. Tolerance and acceptance is a two way street.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-emily-c-heath/how-to-determine-if-your-religious-liberty-is-being-threatened-in-10-questions_b_1845413.html[/QUOTE]

This was a cute article, however, NONE of it applied to anything related to me.

EMST**************..I do hope that you understand that this is just conversation. I'm not taking anything personal here. I've always liked you on this forum, and will continue to do so. I sincerely hope that this is just an honest discussion between two people with differing views. :)

You Are Guilty

Proserpina

Because they are not as tweaked as we are? Some might say not as repressed, sexually - or, that they might not consider marriage important.
Probably more along the lines of "Taking a year of aikido doesn't make you Bruce Lee, but let's say that it might...in the future. Somewhere".
I'm not saying that it WILL happen, but, there are already potential court arguments making the news for both multiple marriages and incestuous ones, and they are using some of the same successful arguments used for gay marriage. It is what it is.

And there are potential court arguments for prohibiting bankruptcy, for making it a crime to kick a single kitten but not multiples...come on, you knew what you were doing when you posted. You've used the same hyperbole you're so strongly objecting to.

tranquility

In this world's history, more violence has happened in the name of religion, than for any other reason. The intent of the first amendment was to create an atmosphere where each and every person's religious beliefs were tolerated and respected. Where no one had to hide their beliefs in order to avoid persecution. Where the secular world was separate from the religious world.
How disappointed I am this hate comes from you with quincy liking it. I know the history books are being rewritten with broader considerations by modern scholars, but I didn't know we were so far gone.

Here's how we'll start. I'll name a few bits of violence off the top of my head and then you can name a few bits and then we can tote up the results and see.
--Stalin's purges
--Hitler's Holocaust
--Mao's cleansing
--Pol pot's killing fields
--The tribal wars of Africa past and present attempting genocide.
--WWI
--WWII
--Mexico's drug wars
--Columbia's drug wars
--Cuba's revolution
--Alexander the Great's conquests
--Genghis Kahn's conquests
--Just for fun, the number of lives snuffed out because of abortion.

While some of the above were committed by people claiming a religion, they were not in the name of religion. Much of the big numbers are because of the secular philosophy of communism. Since some are beginning to claim the rise of secularism seems to carry with it a certain orthodoxy so should be considered a "religion" as well. If we do so declare secular humanism a religion, then I would have to agree more violence has happened in world because of religion. However, if by "religion" you mean some theistic belief (Even if we decide to lump together Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism etc.), I would have to disagree.

quincy

How disappointed I am this hate comes from you with quincy liking it. ...
There is no "hate" coming from this direction, tranquility (or from anyone else's posts, as far as I can tell).

I see this thread as an interesting debate between people with very different views and beliefs - no different than the debates taking place between others throughout the country ever since the Arizona bill was first introduced and, eventually, vetoed.

In fact, I have been humming "Imagine" to myself ever since this thread started. ;)

Last edited:

tranquility

There is no "hate" coming from this direction, tranquility (or from anyone else's posts, as far as I can tell).

I see this thread as an interesting debate between people with very different views and beliefs - no different than the debates taking place between others throughout the country ever since the Arizona bill was first introduced and, eventually, vetoed.

In fact, I have been humming "Imagine" to myself ever since this thread started. ;)
What do you prefer to call the liked comment regarding more violence has happened in the name of religion than for any other reason? It is both hurtful and incorrect. If we said it about race, it would be called racist. If about gays, it would be called homophobic. If about women, it would be called sexist. All pejoratives designed to describe hate based on a characteristic. Instead, shall we call it misotheistic? Bigoted? Intolerant? Theophobic? I chose hate.

By the way edit:
It is interesting Imagine is the song being sung. As Lennon said:
"'Imagine', which says: 'Imagine that there was no more religion, no more country, no more politics,' is virtually the Communist manifesto, even though I'm not particularly a Communist and I do not belong to any movement."

Last edited:

quincy

What do you prefer to call the liked comment regarding more violence has happened in the name of religion than for any other reason? It is both hurtful and incorrect. If we said it about race, it would be called racist. If about gays, it would be called homophobic. If about women, it would be called sexist. All pejoratives designed to describe hate based on a characteristic. Instead, shall we call it misotheistic? Bigoted? Intolerant? Theophobic? I chose hate.

By the way edit:
It is interesting Imagine is the song being sung. As Lennon said:
"'Imagine', which says: 'Imagine that there was no more religion, no more country, no more politics,' is virtually the Communist manifesto, even though I'm not particularly a Communist and I do not belong to any movement."
Ahhh. You hate the song I am humming to myself? Thank goodness I am not humming one of the rap songs I happen to like. :)

tranquility

What if it were modified from "more" to the indisputably correct "substantial percentage"? Is it still hate?
I do not think a true statement would be hate. Define "substantial percentage". Then we can compare and contrast with the philosophies being espoused by others. We will try to avoid the positive aspects of certain philosophies/religions as that will be far more subjective.

LeeHarveyBlotto

I do not think a true statement would be hate. Define "substantial percentage". Then we can compare and contrast with the philosophies being espoused by others. We will try to avoid the positive aspects of certain philosophies/religions as that will be far more subjective.
Anything more than zero is abhorrent.

quincy

I'm glad people feel that way. Especially since as an ardent radical Islamist, I eagerly await the passage of this law so I can eradicate all you capitalist devils at my earliest convenience.
tranquility, I also "liked" this post of YAG's. Geez. I wonder what that says about the "position" I support? :p

(as a note, I am currently humming "Let it Go" from "Frozen")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">