• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for stealing electric? Really??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
better yet; somebody asked the power company to calculate the use and they came back with 4 cents.

but sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the accurate amount cannot be calculated due to not knowing the current draw of the load at the specific time of the use and the precise period of time power was used. As well, there is probably a lack of calculating in fixed costs such as delivery fees and such that many power companies are now charging due to the requirements to lease their infrastructure to other providers. Those costs were included costs long ago when each power company had an authorized monopoly but now since they no longer operate in that business model, most electrical providers have created a fee structure with fixed and variable costs listed individually.
Sooo, 9 cents?

For the court that maybe an issue, i don't know, i haven't dealt with that term yet in an educational or court setting. but for me, i won't even take a penny from the 'give a penny take a penny' cup thing without putting one back. Theft is theft in any denomination. But, using a public toilet is no more theft then using a public outlet.

Last edited:

BL

Sooo, 9 cents?

For the court that maybe an issue, i don't know, i haven't dealt with that term yet in an educational or court setting. but for me, i won't even take a penny from the 'give a penny take a penny' cup thing without putting one back. Theft is theft in any denomination. But, using a public toilet is no more theft then using a public outlet.
It wasn't / isn't a public outlet.

It wasn't / isn't a public outlet.
What about it doesn't make it a public outlet? Is this just an assumption jumped to by the forum members? There is no evidence to support that this isn't a public outlet, power intentional left to it during public use hours, no locks or signs on or around it, no general laws or rules disallowing use, it's the same as a public toilet in a park.

This is a legal forum guys, if you are just going to post guesses or incorrect information you aren't doing the OP any favors.

Where is your evidence that it IS a public outfit?
Is that how it works with public use spaces? I should try to find evidence that it is ok to use the water fountain by the basketball court at my town park, before i use it, how about the public toilets, do i need to look for signs that say, "Ok for public use", should i be looking for the 'go' signs on street corners so i know i don't have to stop?

The power was intentional left on during public use time, placed in area convenient for public use, they were intentionally left open and unlocked during public use time, there were no posted signed or regulations that said these outlets weren't for public use. All of that SHOULD be enough evidence for anyone to reasonably assume(Implied consent) that they were for public use.

What do you have cbg, anything that conflicts that?

I don't know if this court case will set precedent, because, technically he specifically shouldn't have used the outlets, even though the general public using the facilities would be allowed. But it will be interesting to see what a judge rules.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As a matter of fact, you do.

If you don't own it, then you need permission. For all your hollering, permission is not automatically assumed. You've already been shown the applicable statutes. Why do you assume they don't apply?

As a matter of fact, you do.

If you don't own it, then you need permission. For all your hollering, permission is not automatically assumed. You've already been shown the applicable statutes. Why do you assume they don't apply?
Again, you are getting public property and private property mixed up. Public property is by definition for public use by patrons of that public property. Permission for use of Public property IS automatically assumed when you are an approved patron of that property.

That Statue was outlining theft, you can't 'steal' something that is allowed use by patrons. It's like saying i stole water when i flushed at a pubic bathroom.

Ladyback1

Again, you are getting public property and private property mixed up. Public property is by definition for public use by patrons of that public property. Permission for use of Public property IS automatically assumed when you are an approved patron of that property.

That Statue was outlining theft, you can't 'steal' something that is allowed use by patrons. It's like saying i stole water when i flushed at a pubic bathroom.
Schools, by and large, are not Public use after hours. There may be opportunities for the public to use the property, but it's not necessarily a given.

If the property is designated as "public use" and provides bathrooms, then it is a given that patrons will want/need to flush the toilets. And anyway...what is your hang-up with public bathrooms?:eek:(or as you typed "pubic" bathrooms)

I'mTheFather

Schools are not public use at any time! In the last year, schools have beefed up security to prevent anyone without school business from entering.

I'mTheFather

I'm not really sure why anyone continues to engage this guy. If any casual reader decides to take his advice on this thread, despite all the dissenting opinions, then that reader deserves what he gets.

BL

What about it doesn't make it a public outlet? Is this just an assumption jumped to by the forum members? There is no evidence to support that this isn't a public outlet, power intentional left to it during public use hours, no locks or signs on or around it, no general laws or rules disallowing use, it's the same as a public toilet in a park.

This is a legal forum guys, if you are just going to post guesses or incorrect information you aren't doing the OP any favors.
So you are parroting a member's reply to you. :rolleyes:

Try walking into/on the grounds at a school and walking around for an hr. or two, or less at your free will and see where it gets you.

So you are parroting a member's reply to you. :rolleyes:

Try walking into/on the grounds at a school and walking around for an hr. or two, or less at your free will and see where it gets you.
While i'm there watching my child take tennis lessons or any other reason in which i'm a valid patron.....No problem! I grew up 2 blocks from my local high school, i have friends who regularly walked the track during baseball games and others who went and played 'pick up' baseketball games at the outside courts, heck, i learned to drive in the parking lot of my high school!

Really guys, do you honestly believe that people should be arrested for using water fountains and bathrooms on public property? This is just getting silly! Are you 'trolling' me and I'm just taking you more seriously then i should?

TigerD

While i'm there watching my child take tennis lessons or any other reason in which i'm a valid patron.....No problem! I grew up 2 blocks from my local high school, i have friends who regularly walked the track during baseball games and others who went and played 'pick up' baseketball games at the outside courts, heck, i learned to drive in the parking lot of my high school!

Really guys, do you honestly believe that people should be arrested for using water fountains and bathrooms on public property? This is just getting silly! Are you 'trolling' me and I'm just taking you more seriously then i should?
You want to contribute. I get that. Pick an area. Learn something about the subject. Contribute on the general questions when you know the answer. Learn and start contributing on the tougher questions.

But, if you can't be bothered to learn about what you post, you are intentionally harming the innocent readers - especially those that might give extra weight to your opinions because your handle implies you are a cop.

DC

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

... I don't have the legal expertise on this subject ...
While Smokey continues to look for a law in any state that says "if a sign is not posted at an electrical outlet, then the public is free to use it" or "theft is okay if the amount stolen is small," the quote above is a reminder in Smokey's own words as to what he brings to this thread and to this forum (ie, nothing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">