• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can My Ex Boyfriend Sue Me For This

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Funnyfox

Wow.

When I was 18, I turned down a gift of diamond earrings (so cutely tiny :)) from a very nice boyfriend because I knew he cared more for me than I did for him, and that I was going to leave him behind to go to college in six months. I guess I could have taken them and worn them and kept them, but I knew that would be unkind and, essentially, wrong to do. I told him the truth and had to deal with the consequences.

I can't imagine pulling this trick. Sleep well, poster. :rolleyes:
That's not fair nor does it apply to my case. I fully DID see myself with him at the time of his help. I would not have excepted his help had I known things were going to end up this way. It was very very hard for me as well to end the relationship. I in no way pulled a "trick" and I do not appreciate you jumping to those untrue conclusions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's not fair nor does it apply to my case. I fully DID see myself with him at the time of his help. I would not have excepted his help had I known things were going to end up this way. It was very very hard for me as well to end the relationship. I in no way pulled a "trick" and I do not appreciate you jumping to those untrue conclusions.
So then pay him back quite frankly. That way you won't be viewed by some as a gold digger.

Paul84

I don't really understand what this means .

I am all for the idea of paying a lawyer to write a letter Paul, but I would like to know what timing I should do this on. I'm still holding out hope that these are "scare tactics" to persuade me to move home and that he will cool down. I don't want to "cast the first stone" so to say and in doing so fan the fire.
That sounds wise, Funnyfox. But there should be no reason for you to have to change your phone number because of him. Just have one of those services that requires caller ID for calls to get through to your phone and, if you don't ever want to speak with him, block any numbers that you know he uses.

Funnyfox

Gold digger: that's another word for it. :cool:
I understand that not knowing my full situation and BC of bad choices I made as well as HE Made that you guys would think not so highly of me. That's ok. I can deal with that. But what I'm looking for is legal advice, not name calling.

After I told him not to file me as a defendant this year on his taxes, he did so anyway. I told him I didn't think it was legal because we obviously weren't living together. He said he talked with his lawyer and his lawyer said it was ok. I have NOOO idea of that is the truth or not. He won't tell me how he got my social. I have proof he claimed me as a dependent in spite of my telling him no. Where does this play into things?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand that not knowing my full situation and BC of bad choices I made as well as HE Made that you guys would think not so highly of me. That's ok. I can deal with that. But what I'm looking for is legal advice, not name calling.

After I told him not to file me as a defendant this year on his taxes, he did so anyway. I told him I didn't think it was legal because we obviously weren't living together. He said he talked with his lawyer and his lawyer said it was ok. I have NOOO idea of that is the truth or not. He won't tell me how he got my social. I have proof he claimed me as a dependent in spite of my telling him no. Where does this play into things?
When you file your own taxes, it will raise flags at the taxing authorities and they will (may) investigate.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When you file your own taxes, it will raise flags at the taxing authorities and they will (may) investigate.
But he may have a right depending on how much she has supported herself compared to the 15k he has used to support her. :rolleyes: Apparently she was dependent on him for most of the year. Or it was a loan. One or the other.

LdiJ

It was not acceptable at all. In order to claim an adult dependent that dependent must earn less than 3950.00 for the tax year and must have lived in the person's household for the entire year.

His lawyer may have told him he could do that, but I sincerely doubt that his tax consultant did.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It was not acceptable at all. In order to claim an adult dependent that dependent must earn less than 3950.00 for the tax year and must have lived in the person's household for the entire year.

His lawyer may have told him he could do that, but I sincerely doubt that his tax consultant did.
What about if she lived in the dorms at school? That could still be considered in his household ... especially if she was not working and relied on his support, right?

Funnyfox

The thing is, even if he did it without my consent, and really upset me, he's getting a lot of money back in doing so. Im happy that he is getting that money back bc HE DID support me. I don't want him to get in trouble :( I also want to not go to court over the money he gifted me. I Guess what I'm wondering is, if he does take me to court, would this be some kind of leverage for me in the courtroom? Or is my best best to file my taxes, get him in trouble, make things messier, and the like?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What about if she lived in the dorms at school? That could still be considered in his household ... especially if she was not working and relied on his support, right?
The official description is a temporary absence. From the OP, it seems that this was a temporary absence to attend school, but after the end of the year she decided not to move back:

California

In March of 2014 I moved from where I was located to go to school 4 hours away.
Fast forward a year and I've graduated from school. I was sincerely planning on moving home, but life happens, things change and people fall in and out of love every day. Some good opportunities came up for me in the area I now live, and I decided to take them.

Funnyfox - were you living with the person before you moved away for school?

Funnyfox

The official description is a temporary absence. From the OP, it seems that this was a temporary absence to attend school, but after the end of the year she decided not to move back:

Funnyfox - were you living with the person before you moved away for school?
No, in fact we have never cohabitated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">