• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident with No insurance.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rmat88

I live in Louisiana and got into a car accident in March and I was at fault and had NO insurance at the time. I just went to my court date on August 10th because the person I hit is asking for restitution and I was ordered to pay 4500 dollars by November 10th or I go to jail. I need to know if there is anything I can do, I can pay it and have no problems paying it but there is no way I can afford that much in only 3 months. I am the sole income for my family of soon to be 6 and if I go to jail we will lose everything. Please any advice would be appreciated.

Just Blue

I live in Louisiana and got into a car accident in March and I was at fault and had NO insurance at the time. I just went to my court date on August 10th because the person I hit is asking for restitution and I was ordered to pay 4500 dollars by November 10th or I go to jail. I need to know if there is anything I can do, I can pay it and have no problems paying it but there is no way I can afford that much in only 3 months. I am the sole income for my family of soon to be 6 and if I go to jail we will lose everything. Please any advice would be appreciated.
Suggest you get another job or two. Why with all the children you have would you be so dumb to NOT have proper insurance? :(

Rmat88

Our insurance had lapsed because I had just gotten the job and had been out of work, I had literally just paid the insurance company that day to have it reinstated but they would not cover the accident. I know I was in the wrong, and will never go without insurance again. I can't get an

Rmat88

**i cant get another job, I work over 13 hours a day as it is and am finally in a good place with a good job and now everything is in jeopardy. This was the first time I have ever had an accident or ticket in my life.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pay as much as you can and then get in to court before November 10th to ask for an extension. Please keep in mind that this advice is based on my perception that you'll be able to get a large chunk (ie: 70%+) paid by the time you get in to court.

Rmat88

Well I contacted the DA and they told me that it shouldn't mean automatic jail time for me because they can't even fit true criminals into the jails right now and I will try and get as much of it as I can before November 10th and hope for the best. Thank you for the replies.

FlyingRon

We don't lock people up in this country because they can't pay their debts. We lock them up when they choose not to do so as ordered. You should contact the court that ordered the payment and work out a plan.

Rmat88

The first thing I tried was to contact the court and they told me there was nothing anyone could do but show up in November and hope the judge felt like being lenient...

Indiana Filer

Is your court case a civil case, where you are being sued by the person you hit, or a criminal case where you are being prosecuted for not having insurance? Were you charged with a misdemeanor for this offense?

Kimberly Dukes

The first thing I tried was to contact the court and they told me there was nothing anyone could do but show up in November and hope the judge felt like being lenient...
Seems the only way best for you to pay fine imposed by court. Let's suppose if you hire a lawyer then you have to pay his fee as well.
Better option is to pay fine that is 4500$.

Rmat88

As far as I know it is a criminal case? I was given a ticket at the time of the accident and was told my court dates and never anything else. And I have not been charged with anything.

Indiana Filer

As far as I know it is a criminal case? I was given a ticket at the time of the accident and was told my court dates and never anything else. And I have not been charged with anything.
What does the ticket say on it? There's a difference between a criminal case and an infraction. What is the code you are charged with?

justalayman

What does the ticket say on it? There's a difference between a criminal case and an infraction. What is the code you are charged with?

why would that make a difference? If restitution was ordered within the prosecution of the ticket (whether it be criminal or an infraction) if that order was not complied with the OP could be charged with contempt and jailed could they not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">