• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support & Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Please give only advice when you know.
:rolleyes: Except, that I do. I told that OP to check the laws in her state. Everything I said about *my* state is absolutely correct. My state (Washington) does not start involuntary paternity actions as a result of the mother being on medicaid for the duration of her pregnancy. They only do so if mom is in TANF. I have three children, all born while I was on medcaid (the income limits are relatively high here for pregnancy medical) and none resulted in an involuntary paternity action. I even helped a friend who did not want to apply for medicaid based on the fact that her child's father and her lived together so no child support was needed; we asked, and (as I already knew) she was informed no involuntary paternity actions would be started. I'm quite certain his income was not taking into account due to the fact that they were not married at the time of her pregnancy. They have since married, and of course, his income was noted at that time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
:rolleyes: Except, that I do. I told that OP to check the laws in her state. Everything I said about *my* state is absolutely correct. My state (Washington) does not start involuntary paternity actions as a result of the mother being on medicaid for the duration of her pregnancy. They only do so if mom is in TANF. I have three children, all born while I was on medcaid (the income limits are relatively high here for pregnancy medical) and none resulted in an involuntary paternity action. I even helped a friend who did not want to apply for medicaid based on the fact that her child's father and her lived together so no child support was needed; we asked, and (as I already knew) she was informed no involuntary paternity actions would be started. I'm quite certain his income was not taking into account due to the fact that they were not married at the time of her pregnancy. They have since married, and of course, his income was noted at that time.
We call this a "red herring". Giving bad or inapplicable advice is worse than giving no advice at all.

RE: the bolded: 'Cept here---I am right. In any event--OP lied on her application for assistance (medicaid). That is welfare fraud.

The application can be found here: http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/help/5017_1010-eng.pdf

She is required to list ALL PERSONS living in her home, income for ALL PERSONS, assest for ALL PERSONS, and what the expenses are and who pays them for ALL PERSONS.

In addition OP signed a form that stated (and I quote):

Absolutely she is required to *list* them, but that does not necessarily mean the state will take them into account in determining her eligibility. The chances of her being charged with a crime are really quite minimal, though I entirely agree she should have been honest.

Silverplum

:rolleyes: Except, that I do.
No, you only know about your own situation.

angelpie545 said:
I told that OP to check the laws in her state.
That's hardly an excuse for providing incorrect "advice" and cluttering up someone else's thread with your confusion.

angelpie545 said:
Everything I said about *my* state is absolutely correct. My state (Washington)
IS NOT THE OP'S STATE. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

angelpie545 said:
goes on and on and on about stuff that does not matter.
And WE waste more time fixing incorrect nonsense.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She is required to list ALL PERSONS living in her home, income for ALL PERSONS, assest for ALL PERSONS, and what the expenses are and who pays them for ALL PERSONS.
I hate to nitpick, but it does not ask that information for all persons living in her home. It asks that for all persons living in her household. Legally, that is different.

CSO286

I hate to nitpick, but it does not ask that information for all persons living in her home. It asks that for all persons living in her household. Legally, that is different.
This is true, Ziggy. You and I and Small could all be living together. If I applied for public assistance, I would include Small in my household, but not you.

If, however, you and I are in a relationship, having a child together and living together, the the Public authority operates under the assumption that we are living together as a family and you are now required to be listed as part of my houshold.

Silverplum

This is true, Ziggy. You and I and Small could all be living together. If I applied for public assistance, I would include Small in my household, but not you.

If, however, you and I are in a relationship, having a child together and living together, the the Public authority operates under the assumption that we are living together as a family and you are now required to be listed as part of my houshold.
I'm SO starting this rumor! :p :D :cool:

Proserpina

And on the contrary....

...I live in WA state.

And I assure you that WA state can and often will initiate a paternity action when the pregnant mother applies for Medicaid.

:cool:

And on the contrary....

...I live in WA state.

And I assure you that WA state can and often will initiate a paternity action when the pregnant mother applies for Medicaid.

:cool:
Nope...sorry, not unless the mother initiates it or asks them too. Otherwise, they don't unless the mother is also receiving TANF. My personal experience in this matter is quite recent.

Here is proof:
WAC 388-462-0015

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">