• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children home alone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sometwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tn

Pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted to make sure. Stepson is 12 daughter is 10. Daughter is more mature than stepson. Stepson hasn't seen mom in almost 3 years.

I am taking a temporary seasonal job. (I've been at home with them most of their childhood and when I did sporadically work I had a sitter for them)

They have been left home alone for short periods of time (30 minutes or so) but I am probably going to be leaving them at home after school until one of us gets off work and during the Christmas break while we work. From what I have read on TN and this, it says that they don't recommend under 10 being left alone.

Can my husband get in trouble if stepson's mom were to actually come back into the picture and get visitation. Or can we get in trouble in general for leaving the children home alone?

I know a lot of people are doing it my kids age but I also know that doesn't make it "right" or "legal" . I have a neighbor that will be bringing them safely home and seeing they get in and would be right across the street should they need anything. Plus my mother n law may be home quite a bit during chirstmas break also.(she lives next door) I just want to make sure . I'd hate to find out after the fact that I had done something wrong or find out that its something that mom could use against my husband some how.

milspecgirl

when I lived in TN, I called CPS and asked them and they said 12 was the age they could be left alone. They also said it was the parent's call at that point- if the child was mature enough, had close support, etc.

This is really a parenting decision- do you truely feel they can handle the responsibility of being alone? If so, then it should be fine. And, if it doesn't work out, then hire a sitter.

I would say if mom comes back into the picture and makes a stink, hire a sitter. Then she really wont have anything to complain about

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tn

Pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted to make sure. Stepson is 12 daughter is 10. Daughter is more mature than stepson. Stepson hasn't seen mom in almost 3 years.

I am taking a temporary seasonal job. (I've been at home with them most of their childhood and when I did sporadically work I had a sitter for them)

They have been left home alone for short periods of time (30 minutes or so) but I am probably going to be leaving them at home after school until one of us gets off work and during the Christmas break while we work. From what I have read on TN and this, it says that they don't recommend under 10 being left alone.

Can my husband get in trouble if stepson's mom were to actually come back into the picture and get visitation. Or can we get in trouble in general for leaving the children home alone?

I know a lot of people are doing it my kids age but I also know that doesn't make it "right" or "legal" . I have a neighbor that will be bringing them safely home and seeing they get in and would be right across the street should they need anything. Plus my mother n law may be home quite a bit during chirstmas break also.(she lives next door) I just want to make sure . I'd hate to find out after the fact that I had done something wrong or find out that its something that mom could use against my husband some how.
You'll be just fiine, assuming they have a phone to use and aren't doing any oven baking. Most areas of TN are very lax about this, DCS has different guidelines of appropriateness, but if you happen to have an alarm system, a child as young as 9 can watch younger school age siblings for a few hours after school and they won't mind. They are actually much more lax than I would be comfortable. Your oldest is now old enough to take the basic babysitting course with general CPR, etc.

My son started staying home alone for an hour each afternoon at 10. My dad took him home after school, went in and checked the house out, and locked the door. Same in the summer, my dad checked on him twice in the day and fed him lunch (I worked 6 hours).

Just go over the safety precautions (as I'm sure you would), how to dial 911, don't answer the door for ANYONE, and I always had a shelf in the pantry and a drawer in the fridge that were things kiddo could eat and he was never to use any appliance other than the microwave - no knives, can openers, toasters, etc. and where the bandaids and fire estinguishers were (which, knock on wood, have never been used).

I'm in TN and I work in family law and my district's judges, a senior judge, DCS and the sherriff's dept. all know my son is home. They would have given me a heads up if it was a problem. In fact, one of the Judge's secretaries leaves hers home alone (barely older than yours).

P.S. Son was so good about not opening the door, he once made Grandma leave his McDonald's she brought him on the step. He called her on the cell phone and said no one was allowed in, but thanks for the food.

sometwo

The no one allowed in is what we have used so far. The only way anyone gets in with them here (the few short visits they've been left) is if they have a key to get in. Dad and I don't even knock on the door to be let in. We must have a key also.

I am going to buy a prepaid cell phone for them to have also plus there's a house phone and we have yahoo messenger on my computer where they can talk to their dad on it while he's at work.

I've already explained the no microwave , oven or anything like that if they do get to stay home. I wouldn't leave them home alone by themselves because stepson is more immature and daughter would get scared. But together daughter keeps stepson in line and stepson I believe being there keeps daughter from being so scared.

The no one allowed in is what we have used so far. The only way anyone gets in with them here (the few short visits they've been left) is if they have a key to get in. Dad and I don't even knock on the door to be let in. We must have a key also.

I am going to buy a prepaid cell phone for them to have also plus there's a house phone and we have yahoo messenger on my computer where they can talk to their dad on it while he's at work.

I've already explained the no microwave , oven or anything like that if they do get to stay home. I wouldn't leave them home alone by themselves because stepson is more immature and daughter would get scared. But together daughter keeps stepson in line and stepson I believe being there keeps daughter from being so scared.
You can also do a "dry run" on a day you don't have to work that they think is the real thing. That will give you a good idea of how they will do.

Back in the "old days" my brother and I were home alone at 10 and 8. By 12, me and a girlfriend were babysitting a 6 month old most of the evening. Personally, I think it's safer now that most people have cells because you can always reach them.

CJane

I'm sure all states have "recommendations". I don't know of a single state that has actual statutes that pertain to this.

My now 13 year old was staying home w/her two smaller sibs when she was 10 and they were 8 and 3. CPS and the GAL both found this to be acceptable due to the maturity of the older kids and their knowledge of what to do in an emergency.

The two older ones are now almost 14 and almost 11. Both are latchkey kids and stay home alone in the summer while I'm working. There has NEVER been an issue. Each of them is also responsible for starting dinner one night/week before I get home and during the summer this year they held a bake sale/lemonade stand while I was at work - with the 13 year old baking the cookies.

*shrug* All depends on the kids. Which is why saying that at X age it's ok. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I know some 17 year olds I wouldn't leave home alone.

sometwo

Why not use the microwave? The Teen has been microwaving for years.
cause I'm paranoid :p

They use it and the stove when someone is home but I'm afraid something will happen if they use it while I'm gone.

The microwave has made funny sounds or noises before , not recently but has before. I'm afraid something will happen. One step, one thing at a time. After I'm okay with them being home alone for a while we'll move to the next step of using the microwave.:D

acmb05

My almost 5 year old microwaves. Pushes start on the coffee pot for Mommy on Saturday mornings too. He's such a rock star. :)
Lol, my son is 10 and for the last year and a half he gets up for school by himself, dresses and gets to the bus everyday on time. Last thing he does before leaving is makes me a pot of coffee.

CJane

Lol, my son is 10 and for the last year and a half he gets up for school by himself, dresses and gets to the bus everyday on time. Last thing he does before leaving is makes me a pot of coffee.
That's the goal.

Though, since I have to get up on weekdays anyway and go to work, the older kids get a ride to school/the bus stop.

Twain has been raised differently than his sisters though, because my life is different. I probably didn't let Wild use the microwave when she was 5. And when Unruly was 5, we didn't own one. Didn't own one, in fact until the ex gave me an old one when he knew the girls were going to be home alone for long stretches while I worked during the summer. He dropped them off for the start of my summer period with microwave in hand.

Proserpina

If she is smart, still in bed!!

Wow. 'K, I'm apparently out in the cricket field while everyone else is playing baseball here. :eek:

I'd be wanting an adult at least present, but preferably also awake and vaguely coherent before my 8.5 year old left for school.

<fixes target to forehead>

Go for it. :cool:

Isis1

Wow. 'K, I'm apparently out in the cricket field while everyone else is playing baseball here. :eek:

I'd be wanting an adult at least present, but preferably also awake and vaguely coherent before my 8.5 year old left for school.

<fixes target to forehead>

Go for it. :cool:

I don't have any snow balls :(

While I'm keen in the kiddo getting ready without being haggled to death, I'd still be awake before he left. I'm just astounded the child makes coffee. I want one of those kids!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">