• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children home alone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

I don't have any snow balls :(

While I'm keen in the kiddo getting ready without being haggled to death, I'd still be awake before he left. I'm just astounded the child makes coffee. I want one of those kids!

I offered you snow.

All ya gotta do is ask.... :D:p

acmb05

Where are you during this time? :confused:
I am awake, normally already dressed and just keep an eye on him. He does it because he likes making my coffee and he gets dressed and ready to go on his own. It's a kid thing I guess, he just don't need me to help him pick out clothes anymore.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
12 & 10 should be fine to stay home alone, especially with the neighbor and MIL being so close.

Using appliances unsupervised really depends on the kids' maturity level, IMO.

As for mornings... I always liked knowing that my kids went off to school with a hug and an "I love you". Still get up with #2... at 5am. And actually still walk up to the bus with her - she's the only one at this stop, it's dark, and it's companionable.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
By the time I was twelve, I'd been babysitting my younger siblings for a year. By the time I was thirteen, I'd also been babysitting for one of my father's co-workers's kids for a year.

CSO286

Small fry has been spending time home alone (any where from 1/2 hr to 2 hours--gradual increases in time) since she was eight. (Again, we live in small town America.)
She has the benefits of a prepaid cell phone, the landline, and the sweetest elderly neighbor in case of emergency. Also doesn't hurt that I can get home in five minutes if need be.

In many places, a 12 year can babysit younger kids after taking a local babysitter class. A lot of community education services offer this. Maybe look into it, too?

sometwo

In many places, a 12 year can babysit younger kids after taking a local babysitter class
Right now when we've left for very short periods of time the 10 yr old is in charge. She seems to use her brain . I always say if they were here alone and stepson was playing the xbox and a fire started, stepson would be wondering why the tv didn't work instead of noticing the blazing fire in the background.

Stepson is smart he just isn't mature and doesn't apply himself.

Daughter last year tested at a 14 yr old 8th grader . She is very advanced and maintains rules at all times. Stepson doesn't really care one way or another. He knows and understands why daughter is in charge. One day hopefully it will change. It sure would make our job a heck of a lot easier. We can't seem to manage to get him to do what he's supposed to at school this year. That child is never going to get ungrounded.

frylover

Right now when we've left for very short periods of time the 10 yr old is in charge. She seems to use her brain . I always say if they were here alone and stepson was playing the xbox and a fire started, stepson would be wondering why the tv didn't work instead of noticing the blazing fire in the background. Stepson is smart he just isn't mature and doesn't apply himself.

Daughter last year tested at a 14 yr old 8th grader . She is very advanced and maintains rules at all times. Stepson doesn't really care one way or another. He knows and understands why daughter is in charge. One day hopefully it will change. It sure would make our job a heck of a lot easier. We can't seem to manage to get him to do what he's supposed to at school this year. That child is never going to get ungrounded.
ROTFL! That sounds like my HUSBAND!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">