• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court ordered medical ins. problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJane

120.00 seems and awful lot for a child, he could provide a stand alone policy for 1 child for less than that......
I dunno, at my last job, just to add Twain would have cost me nearly $300/month. And my state deemed that reasonable even though it was 9% of my gross income.

tsmommy

120.00 seems and awful lot for a child, he could provide a stand alone policy for 1 child for less than that......
Yeah. But the support order says he's to provide insurance if it's available through an employer. Not to mention if he goes to get a stand alone policy he doesn't know the address of his child. Where are they going to send the cards to? He'll be paying for insurance and no one will be using it!!

Also he already talked to a lawyer about amending the order to only 50% of medical. The lawyer said the judge in this family court never makes the mother pay for anything if the child is under school age. EVER. He said we would be wasting our money if we tried. Not to mention she had no job and we are sure she has no job now. So we know there isn't any insurance available on her part.

But he can't file to modify even if he thought he could win if no one knows where she's at. lol.

CJane

Yeah. But the support order says he's to provide insurance if it's available through an employer. Not to mention if he goes to get a stand alone policy he doesn't know the address of his child. Where are they going to send the cards to? He'll be paying for insurance and no one will be using it!!
Not necessarily.

The father of my sister's child is ordered to supply insurance - it's VERY standard for NCPs. He lived in CA and she lived in CO. He signed his son up for insurance and supplied the insurance company w/a copy of the CO ordering him to pay.

The insurance company sent the cards directly to CSE who forwarded them to my sister for her use. It really was that easy.

And no, the insurance company shouldn't need the child's address. Perhaps they need the parent to choose a PCP, but they can send all of the info to CSE who can forward it to Mom and Mom can get the required info to the insurer.

tsmommy

Not necessarily.

The father of my sister's child is ordered to supply insurance - it's VERY standard for NCPs. He lived in CA and she lived in CO. He signed his son up for insurance and supplied the insurance company w/a copy of the CO ordering him to pay.

The insurance company sent the cards directly to CSE who forwarded them to my sister for her use. It really was that easy.

And no, the insurance company shouldn't need the child's address. Perhaps they need the parent to choose a PCP, but they can send all of the info to CSE who can forward it to Mom and Mom can get the required info to the insurer.
Yes and cse will NOT call my husband back. And cse has her old address. Not her new one. She didn't even notify them she moved either. But the issue is the insurance company won't let him add the child if it's on a medical card. And if he doesn't add it within 30 days after being off the card there's a huge penalty. How is anyone going to let him know the child isn't on the medical card and can add him now?

Zephyr

ok- well you are obviously intent on finding any and every reason why any and every sggestion COULDN'T work, so good luck to you

CJane

Yes and cse will NOT call my husband back. And cse has her old address. Not her new one. She didn't even notify them she moved either. But the issue is the insurance company won't let him add the child if it's on a medical card. And if he doesn't add it within 30 days after being off the card there's a huge penalty. How is anyone going to let him know the child isn't on the medical card and can add him now?
He's the child's father.

He has a right to access the child's medical information.

So he could get off his keister and actually CALL family services or whoever administers medicaid in your state and ASK if the child is currently covered. He can also ASK for records of any claims made to medicaid for medical care. That will give him the name of the doctors the child may have seen.

He can then contact THEM for medical records.

THOSE would probably reveal the child's address to him.

See how this works? It takes WORK and PERSEVERANCE and a DESIRE TO LEARN. It also takes a lot of hoop jumping.

Or, you (the collective you) can sit on your a$$ and moan about how unfair life is because you or someone you love created a baby with an a$$hole or a crazy person or an evil bitch. But at the end of the day, there's still a child out there somewhere that you're connected to forever, like it or not.

tsmommy

He's the child's father.

He has a right to access the child's medical information.

So he could get off his keister and actually CALL family services or whoever administers medicaid in your state and ASK if the child is currently covered. He can also ASK for records of any claims made to medicaid for medical care. That will give him the name of the doctors the child may have seen.

He can then contact THEM for medical records.

THOSE would probably reveal the child's address to him.

See how this works? It takes WORK and PERSEVERANCE and a DESIRE TO LEARN. It also takes a lot of hoop jumping.

Or, you (the collective you) can sit on your a$$ and moan about how unfair life is because you or someone you love created a baby with an a$$hole or a crazy person or an evil bitch. But at the end of the day, there's still a child out there somewhere that you're connected to forever, like it or not.
So if my husband calls family services they will give him that information? I thought that is confidential information? If cse won't why would the welfare office?

jaxpink

Please forgive me here for not being too sure, But I assume what you mean be "medical card" is State Medicaid!! Is the child disabled or is his mother only getting low income ins from the state?
If the mother has the child on this ins it will be Primary until dad Provides ins. through work or any other means. When this happens the state "medical card" will become secondary, if mom/child remain eligible. The child cannot be dropped if Dad gets ins. only remains secondary. Thats is if you mean "state Medicaid"
You can contact her States's Medicaid office and they can give you basic information to see if the child is enrolled or not. If so your Husbands ins can contact that ins and not the mother to enroll the child.
Also you may send an address change to the mothers last known physical or mailing address. That would show you have attempted to contact her about your move.

If Dad is required to keep ins on the child mom does not have to apply. So what you need to be doing is getting the child covered not worring if mom has ins.
Try to go to einsurance.com to find plans that cover "children only". These plans can be about 70 dollars a month.

howcanthis -- posted that your husband get an amendment hearing. I would have to agree.

Is the child disabled or is his mother only getting low income ins from the state?

CJane

So if my husband calls family services they will give him that information? I thought that is confidential information? If cse won't why would the welfare office?
Ummm... because you're asking completely different questions of completely different agencies.

The welfare office won't give out Mom's address either. That's NOT the right question.

tsmommy

Ok we called the post office in July. They confirmed that mom didn't forward her mail. I'm not sure who doesn't have important documents they need forwarded. Yes she has medicaid because she has no money and won't work. As I stated before if the child is currently enrolled in medicaid his insurance company will NOT allow him to add it. So if medicaid became secondary she would have to cancel medicaid, then add the child, then get medicaid back. He'll try contacting the welfare office to see if child is on medicaid. But I'm not holding my breath.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just FYI, if the employee's portion of the insurance premium is paid pre-tax or if there is a pre-tax option, Federal law prohibits an employer from adding or dropping a new dependent unless it is within 30 days of a qualifying event or it is the annual open enrollment period. They are actually violating the law by allowing you to add a child with a penalty, but they are probably using the penalty monies as back premium and fudging the date.

They will not allow you to be taken off the policy and another child added for the same reason; because doing so would violate Federal law.

tsmommy

Just FYI, if the employee's portion of the insurance premium is paid pre-tax or if there is a pre-tax option, Federal law prohibits an employer from adding or dropping a new dependent unless it is within 30 days of a qualifying event or it is the annual open enrollment period. They are actually violating the law by allowing you to add a child with a penalty, but they are probably using the penalty monies as back premium and fudging the date.

They will not allow you to be taken off the policy and another child added for the same reason; because doing so would violate Federal law.
Could you tell me where i can find a text of this law. I'm assuming if cse does call they could want my husband to do this. Then we can give them they law on it so they don't waste time on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">