• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter with potential brain tumor (Florida)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Do you have the option of changing doctors? Changing to one that will agree up front to let you in the room if your daughter wants you there?
LD, I know many doctors are limiting those in the exam rooms to only the adult (if the patient is one) or a child and one decision maker due to COVID.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There can also be HIPAA issues although if the patient is asking for the mother to be present, those should be resolvable with a simple signature on a HIPAA release.
Yes. We have to fill out one of these for every new doc/hospital visit (I fill, Mom signs...). If for some reason I’m not allowed in with her (it’s been an issue with Covid), it still allows them to speak directly with me.

OP, if she has times when she is unresponsive, you *need* some type of PoA to clear your ability to speak with her doctors and/or make decisions. Wishing the best for you both.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One other thing to remember is that an actual healthcare power of attorney document doesn't prevent the person from making there own healthcare decisions, but it does allow others to make the decisions. In other words, it might be helpful to have that in order to gain access.

My 20 year old daughter has been having serious health issues. She’s already on spectrum, and now she’s having cardiac, seizure and other issues that her doctors feel indicate a possible brain tumor. Several of her doctors refuse to let me go back with her, even when she gets a lot of anxiety and asks them to let me be in the room, repeatedly. They load her up with info and tests she needs, and by the time she gets back to the waiting room to tell me, she can’t remember what all they said. It’s getting very frustrating. Last visit, she finally started tearing up and saying she really just wanted her mom before they finally caved and let me back. I do NOT want to strip her of her right to make her own health decisions, but I do need to know what I can do to force the doctors and staff to allow me to be included in her visits so I can at least help her manage her meds and appointments. Right now, they’re too busy throwing it in my face that she’s an adult to care that she’s an adult that is on spectrum, struggling, dealing with tumor side effects, and that she’s the one asking for me. What do I do?
God gives you the strength, and i will pray for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">