• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a annulment case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didn't say anything about me being hurt or bitter. I have no hard feelings, I was actually relieved when the marriage was over. If some one led you to believe that they wanted to marry you for love, and then they admit after the fact that they had ulterior motives and didn't ever really love you or planned on continuing a relationship with you if you didn't supply them with money, how is that not fraud? To the person that responded, This quesion has nothing to do with me knowing whether or not he was in prison. People who marry people in prison are not required to be there ONLY to send money and come for family visits. That is not a given, although that is the case in some situations, but not this one. Also I do not see how you got out of it that I was hurt or bitter. I am just trying to figure out the proper proceedure to end this. I tried to start the divorce case, but after filling out some of the forms, it just didn't seem liked they applied to my situation. If we had lived together or still communicated after I found out about the FRAUD, then it wouldn't be a case. I still feel like I have a chance. Any other opinions?

I didn't say you were bitter. I stated it was bitterness -- meaning that what he said was said out of bitterness and is not a cause for fraud. I didn't say you were hurt or bitter. I was saying your STBX is. But you do not have a case for fraud.

missb

Like yours? Trying to spend thousands of dollars to get away from your "spouse"?:rolleyes:

Oh, I get you now, you need attention... you talk crap to people so that they can respond, therefore you get the attention you need! I havent nor am I going to spend thousands of dollars trying to get away from anyone. I am going forth with my annulment case, if that doesn't work I still have time for a summary dissolution. Thousands of dollars??? I think not. Hope that was enough attention for you...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well thanks to those of you who responded, but like I previously said, maybe I came to the wrong place. I mentioned that I had been doing lots of research on this, so I have a lot of knowledge about annulment/ fraud cases. I just wanted to hear a lawyers opinion. To those NON-LAWYERS who were so quick to tell me I don't have a case, you might want to do a little more research before you start giving people legal advice. "Fraud" can be on the ground that the person concealed facts that if known would have prevented you from entering into the marriage. (My Situation!) There are alot of different intances of FRAUD, I did my research. Anyway, no more replies needed!!! Bye....
Again you don't have a case for fraud. Because you KNEW or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that he was sentenced to 16 years. Open records and all that jazz. As for non-lawyers, oh please give me a break. Reread my responses to you. I am well aware of what fraud is for marriage and you do not have fraud. You have someone who said something because they are bitter (no one said that someone is you) but that does not a fraud case make. And you remained married after you found out he was in for 16 years. Hence not a fraud case.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh, I get you now, you need attention... you talk crap to people so that they can respond, therefore you get the attention you need! I havent nor am I going to spend thousands of dollars trying to get away from anyone. I am going forth with my annulment case, if that doesn't work I still have time for a summary dissolution. Thousands of dollars??? I think not. Hope that was enough attention for you...
Annulment is much trickier than a dissolution. And you don't have a fraud case. Not by what you posted here.

missb

The ATTORNEY that answered you in the first response was NOT rude...blunt yes...but not ride. You however WERE rude to HER! Go and handle this yourself. We are done.
To you, I am, and going to continue to handle this myself. I asked a simple yes or no question, but got unnecessary rudeness. I was only rude to those who were rude to me. And for the record I was done before you were, so you're dismissed... bye!!!

moburkes

To you, I am, and going to continue to handle this myself. I asked a simple yes or no question, but got unnecessary rudeness. I was only rude to those who were rude to me. And for the record I was done before you were, so you're dismissed... bye!!!
We're dismissed? What are you - a teacher in a classroom? HA! Someone's mother?:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Definition of Fraud

Fraud: Either party's consent to the marriage or domestic partnership was obtained by "fraud," unless the defrauded party thereafter, and with full knowledge of the facts constituting the fraud, "freely cohabited with the other" as husband and wife. [Ca Fam § 2210(d)]

The type of "fraud" sufficient to support a judgment of nullity must go to the very essence of the marital [or domestic partnership] relation. Thus, fraud or deceit sufficient to avoid an ordinary contract will not necessarily warrant a judgment of nullity. The alleged misrepresentation or concealment must have been "vital to the relationship," directly affecting the purpose of the deceived party in consenting to the marriage/domestic partnership.
The following are some examples of the kinds of fraud which would warrant a nullity judgment:

As between spouses, concealment of sterility, of existing pregnancy, or of an intent not to terminate a sexual relationship with a "significant other" goes to the "very essence" of the marriage relationship and thus is sufficient ground for a judgment of nullity.
As between married persons, a concealed intent not to live with the other spouse, not to engage in sexual relations with the other spouse, or not to have children despite a promise to the contrary supports a judgment of nullity on the ground of fraud.
Wife, who was induced to marry by Husband's false representations he was an honest, law-abiding, respectable and honorable person and that he had a child who was well provided for, was entitled to a judgment of nullity on the ground of fraud where Husband had in fact been convicted of grand theft, was a parole violator and a fugitive from justice, and was guilty of failure to support his children from a prior marriage.
A judgment of nullity based on fraud is also warranted where one party's motive in entering the marriage was solely to obtain a green card (to acquire U.S. residency status) and he or she never intended to engage in sexual relations with the other or to meet marital duties.
On the other hand, "the concealment of incontinence, temper, idleness, extravagance, coldness or fortune inadequate to representations cannot be the basis for an annulment." The following are some examples of the kinds of fraud which would NOT warrant a nullity judgment:

A party's false representation that he or she owned a particular business or was a "person of means"
Deceit about one's chastity or moral character is not "vital" to the marital relationship and thus will not justify a judgment of nullity on the basis of fraud.
Nor is there sufficient fraud to annul a marriage simply because a party concealed a severe drinking problem (or, presumably, drug addiction), refused to seek employment after contracting the marriage (despite assurances before marriage to the contrary), proved to be a "disappointing" sexual partner, and/or turned from a "polite" and "nice" person before marriage to a "dirty," "unattractive" and disrespectful person after the marriage. A finding of § 2210(d) fraud cannot rest solely on the fact a spouse "turned from a prince into a frog."
You don't have grounds for fraud. The definition as defined by the California code and case law does not support based on the facts YOU provided, a finding of fraud. YOU KNEW HE WAS IN PRISON. YOU KNEW he was serving time. Just because you didn't know the length of time he is in prison is NOT considered fraud.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. You got rude before anyone was rude to you. I was not rude to you. And I have taken more than enough time trying to explain fraud to you -- which is NOT a concept you apparently want to get. So therefore YOU are dismissed. Keep up with being rude to people on here and you will find yourself dismissed permanently from the forum.

Just Blue

hmmmmm .... get that huffy on an internet forum ... she's gonna have lots of fun in a courtroom :D;):D
Personally, I think she shouldn't get rid of the murderer she married...With her personality she may never get anyone that good again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We're dismissed? What are you - a teacher in a classroom? HA! Someone's mother?:rolleyes:
Mo dear, quit talking back or I will make you stand in the corner. Got it? Either that or no recess for you and you will spend that time writing lines. I will not be mean to missb. :mad:

Okay dear. Now quit being a petulant child and show missb the proper amount of respect.

Like I am. :p

missb

^^^(In response) I didn't say that him lying about the amount of time he actually had was the "Fraud." I felt that the fraud was that he concealed facts that if known would have prevented me from entering into the marriage.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
^^^(In response) I didn't say that him lying about the amount of time he actually had was the "Fraud." I felt that the fraud was that he concealed facts that if known would have prevented me from entering into the marriage.
What you feel doesn't matter. What matters is how the court sees it and they aren't going to see it as fraud. You married him while he was in prison. When he gets out is when he gets out and you knew or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN what he was in for because it is public record. Therefore NO FRAUD.

missb

Personally, I think she shouldn't get rid of the murderer she married...With her personality she may never get anyone that good again.
WOW... You are hillarious. But I am not going to continue to go back and forth with the likes of you. And I couldn't care less if I get dismissed from this forum, because it is not helpful in any way and some of the people on here seem like they are ignorant anyway. How are you going to make a judgement like that about someone you never even met before. You don't know anything about me or my personality. But here I go again, just giving you the attention you want, so I'm done.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
WOW... You are hillarious. But I am not going to continue to go back and forth with the likes of you. And I couldn't care less if I get dismissed from this forum, because it is not helpful in any way and some of the people on here seem like they are ignorant anyway. How are you going to make a judgement like that about someone you never even met before. You don't know anything about me or my personality. But here I go again, just giving you the attention you want, so I'm done.

Promises promises. But you were given help. You were even given statutory quotes and case law. But you dont like it. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">