• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog bite am I responisible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? az
I am asking this on behalf of my neighbor but I am going to use first person because it will be a lot easier to type

I own a home that I do not live in. I am letting my friends stay there free of charge. They own a dog and it bit a friend of theirs while they were visiting my house. I recieved a letter from their friends attorney asking about my home owners insurance. My question is am I responsible for the bite even though the dog did not belong to me?

gawm

Can anyone tell me how to find az law that says Im responsible? Thanks
I can, I can!!!

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/11/01025.htm&Title=11&DocType=ARS

11-1025. Liability for dog bites

A. The owner of a dog which bites a person when the person is in or on a public place or lawfully in or on a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, is liable for damages suffered by the person bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner's knowledge of its viciousness.

Gawm:

According to what you posted the dog owners would be responsible. I wouldn't be just because I let them live in my house. If I read it correctly. I am off to check out the laws myself thanks for the site info perroloco

Gawm:

According to what you posted the dog owners would be responsible. I wouldn't be just because I let them live in my house. If I read it correctly. I am off to check out the laws myself thanks for the site info

gawm

Here are the dog bite statutes.
http://www.keytlaw.com/az/azdoglaw.htm
http://www.keytlaw.com/az/azdogbites.htm
Usually the owner of the dog and/or the person in control of the dog at the time would be held responsible. If you weren't there, I guess your only worry would be if there is any liability in allowing the dog on the property you own. The dog bite statutes don’t really address that. That's not to say that it isn't in landlord/tenet or real estate statutes somewhere. Have you reported this to your homeowners insurance?
They would know better than anyone.

Shay-Pari'e

1. You own the home.
2. You had no lease agreement with the people you are allowing to live there, therefore, I highly doubt you switched your insurance, and I suspect your friends do not have rental insurance,:

So basically, you can look at it like this**************....You allowed someone into your home with a dog. This dog bit someone in your home. You are liable. You allowed the dog to live in your home.

(All in third person of course).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, so stay tuned for others opinions.

It was a collie. I was just reading over my policy and I am not ensured for dog bites (which makes sense because I've never owned a dog) How can I find out if I'm personally liable? Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

What is the name of your state? az
I am asking this on behalf of my neighbor but I am going to use first person because it will be a lot easier to type

I own a home that I do not live in. I am letting my friends stay there free of charge. They own a dog and it bit a friend of theirs while they were visiting my house. I recieved a letter from their friends attorney asking about my home owners insurance. My question is am I responsible for the bite even though the dog did not belong to me?
Do you realize how confusing this thread is? You start with *Asking for a friend*, then you are talking about your insurance policy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">