• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firearms?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommyof4

and good on you for your many awards for marksmanship. me too.

could come in handy.
Please tell me you don't mean that (even in a joking manner) the way it comes across.

If you WERE joking about having the ability to shoot her ex, all I can say is, "Wow," and you are WAY out of line to even joke about such a matter.

I'm hoping I am flat out wrong.:(

LdiJ

Please tell me you don't mean that (even in a joking manner) the way it comes across.

If you WERE joking about having the ability to shoot her ex, all I can say is, "Wow," and you are WAY out of line to even joke about such a matter.

I'm hoping I am flat out wrong.:(
I would be very surprised if he meant it that way.

CJane

If he is a felon this is a no brainer. research the laws for gun handling and gun ownership for your state.

Make sure you research the laws as they apply to hunting on PRIVATE PROPERTY. Because chances are? They don't apply.

I don't think Dad should take Princess hunting if she's so opposed to it - mostly because it wouldn't be any fun for anyone to be there with a petrified and whining 9 year old.

But I also don't think there's any way in He** that Dad can FORCE her to pick up a gun, let alone shoot AT something, and he certainly can't make her HIT the thing. Gawd, I'm a decent shot when shooting at targets, but shooting at something from the weird angle that is a tree stand, and trying to hit something that's likely moving? No.

What sort of gun is he FORCING her to use that's going to have such amazing kick to actually knock her out of a tree?

For sure take it to court - but I'm betting on a loss.

LdiJ

If he is a felon this is a no brainer. research the laws for gun handling and gun ownership for your state.

i taught hunter safety, you have to handle the weapon in the class. did he do so?

he is possibly in violation.

with the climate of today's law on guns and gun ownership this is bizarre.

who are these guns registered to? unregistered, better for you, worse for him.

evidently he has money, right? sad.

if he is an abuser it is very likely that he would, in fact, make your daughter kill something, especially if he is totally completely aware of her desire not to.

it's a control thing. it's also abuse.

my heart to you, your child and your situation.

and good on you for your many awards for marksmanship. me too.

could come in handy. ;)
I didn't even think of that...I am not sure of what the rules are regarding that for our state. I know that hunting rifles do not have to be registered in Indiana, but its quite possible that he is not allowed to own or use ANY firearms.

That also would explain why he hunts on family land only, because a license isn't required for hunting on private property.

DEFINITELY do some research on that and take this to court.

CJane

I don't know, but he has been around a while, posting occasionally and it doesn't seem like something he would say/mean.
"He" is a SHE.

And whether intended or not, that's the way I took it too.

I'm curious what, EXACTLY dad was convicted OF.

Isis1

i've got to agree with most posters here.

taking a gun safety education class is fantastic. knowledge takes the fear out of the object.

shoot, mom, YOU take a gun safety class. show your daughter to not be freightened. i HATE rollercoaster rides. but i go on them anyway with my boys. because i don't want to project MY fear.

would i ever actually go hunting, probably not. i prefer buffalo to deer. cows are gloriously beautiful. right next to a bottle of A1 sauce. was never happy with rabbit (i have connected childhood memories associated with eating rabbit) but sushi....aww...so good. (i sure hope i'm not drooling)

but i will say this.....the ex knowing i know how to handle a gun now, as opposed to when he was knocking me around the house, it might have helped my safety.

LdiJ

Make sure you research the laws as they apply to hunting on PRIVATE PROPERTY. Because chances are? They don't apply.

I don't think Dad should take Princess hunting if she's so opposed to it - mostly because it wouldn't be any fun for anyone to be there with a petrified and whining 9 year old.

But I also don't think there's any way in He** that Dad can FORCE her to pick up a gun, let alone shoot AT something, and he certainly can't make her HIT the thing. Gawd, I'm a decent shot when shooting at targets, but shooting at something from the weird angle that is a tree stand, and trying to hit something that's likely moving? No.

What sort of gun is he FORCING her to use that's going to have such amazing kick to actually knock her out of a tree?

For sure take it to court - but I'm betting on a loss.
My grandpa had me shoot his hunting rifle when I wasn't much older than the child in question here. We were shooting at cans. The "kick" knocked me flat on my back and I ended up shooting off the top of a pine tree...

So I believe that a hunting rifle could knock a child out of a tree stand.;)

CJane

My grandpa had me shoot his hunting rifle when I wasn't much older than the child in question here. We were shooting at cans. The "kick" knocked me flat on my back and I ended up shooting off the top of a pine tree...

So I believe that a hunting rifle could knock a child out of a tree stand.;)
Did you weigh 5 lbs? I'll grant you that I'm a pretty stout person, and so are my kids, but the only thing that's ever "kicked" crazily is a .357. And no one's hunting a deer with one of those. I'm picturing a 12 gauge... yeah, they kick, but out of a tree? Probably not.

LdiJ

Did you weigh 5 lbs? I'll grant you that I'm a pretty stout person, and so are my kids, but the only thing that's ever "kicked" crazily is a .357. And no one's hunting a deer with one of those. I'm picturing a 12 gauge... yeah, they kick, but out of a tree? Probably not.
I was a fairly skinny kid...LOL.

My grandpa hunted squirrels, so it was whatever you normally use to hunt squirrels.

LdiJ

Being a convicted felon makes a person ineligible to OWN a firearm under federal law, not USE one.
State laws are sometimes more restrictive than federal laws when it comes to firearms. I would also suspect that the federal law intends for them not to have a firearm in their possession. If you are shooting a gun, its in your possession. You may not own it, but its still in your possession, albiet temporarily.

profmum

If your child doesn't want to kill a living creature, then she should not be forced to do so. She shouldn't be forced to watch her dad do so either. Take the issue to court. In fact, you could even try to do it on an emergency basis.

Don't make an issue out of the Hunter's safety class. That won't hurt her. Make the issue the fact that dad has said that she HAS to kill a deer and what that will do to her.

This is best advice OP..no child should be forced to take an optional activity that terrifies him/her!

JacobJoel

Look,

CJane is correct I am a SHE.

I am also an expert marksman.

I also have a pretty solid background on the horrors of physical abuse.

I believe in EVERYone's right to happiness and a safe living environment.

I sleep with a loaded revolver above my head, one on the nightstand on my husband's side.

We live in the badlands, things have been known to happen.

I'm totally serious when i told this mother 'it could come in handy' and i was NOT being mean.

Someone, ANYONE threatens me i have a right to defend myself.

So everyone who wants to jump on their bandwagon, please do so. whatever.

do you think the model that was recently killed and dismembered would have been so had she been armed? what about the mom who was abducted when she was walking a lonely road?

Our country was founded and established by men, women and children who carried weapons out of necessity. I understand that it isn't politically correct anymore, and i am pretty confident that w/in a year or two none of us will own weapons of any sort.

legally, that is.

i have nothing more to add to the thread, save to respond to the OP's response, if there is one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">