• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firearms?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Dad is not receptive to the idea that our daughter does not want to go hunting. I guess I will just have to file something with the courts. He is really stupid, because he is admitting in writing to breaking the law and having firearms in his possession. He is admitting that he will be driving with them in his car. He does not seem to comprehend that driving his car, the only adult in it, and going hunting with a 9yo means that he will be in possession of firearms!

What exactly do a file first? this isn't contempt, so what is it?
It would be an emergency injunction to stop him from taking her hunting, against her will.

You put in the paperwork that your daughter does not wish to kill animals or see animals being killed. You put in the paperwork that the child has told you that dad says that she required to kill a deer. You put in the paperwork that dad is a felon who is not supposed to be in the possession of firearms.

It would be an emergency injunction to stop him from taking her hunting, against her will.

You put in the paperwork that your daughter does not wish to kill animals or see animals being killed. You put in the paperwork that the child has told you that dad says that she required to kill a deer. You put in the paperwork that dad is a felon who is not supposed to be in the possession of firearms.
Would it be apropriate to notify the police or someone that he has firearms in his possession?

Do I need to obtain a copy of the court record showing his convictions? Would I include that with my injunction?

Do I file in the county that he resides in, or the county that our CO is through?

Thank You for your valuable assistance.

LdiJ

Would it be apropriate to notify the police or someone that he has firearms in his possession?

Do I need to obtain a copy of the court record showing his convictions? Would I include that with my injunction?

Do I file in the county that he resides in, or the county that our CO is through?

Thank You for your valuable assistance.
You need to file in the county with jurisdiction. Yes, it would be best to show his criminal record as evidence to support your request. It wouldn't be inappropriate to notify the police that he has firearms in his possession, but you have to decide if you are ready to go that far at this time.

If he keeps the guns at the grandparent's home, so that he only has them in his possession when he is hunting, then that might do more harm than good to get the police involved at this juncture.

Last edited:
You need to file in the county with jurisdiction. Yes, it would be best to show his criminal record as evidence to support your request. It wouldn't be inappropriate to notify the police that he has firearms in his possession, but you have to decide if you are ready to go that far at this time.

If he keeps the guns at the grandparent's home, so that he only has them in his possession when he is hunting, then that might do more harm than good to get the police involved at this juncture.
Our daughter claims that he has them hidden in their basement. I would hate for the police to search and not find them. That could cause me to lose credibility. I will get a copy of the record and file. I need to find out when hunting season starts!

JacobJoel

Be Cautious

Please be cautious in how you do/say things. You do NOT want to implicate the nine year old for 'telling on' her dad.

Consider how things can be sanitized on paper. I'm sure if you posted your ideas here others can help you with the verbiage.

and God help you, don't attempt any sideways humor. if you think the response was vitriolic here, don't even think about trying it on a legal document!

LdiJ

Our daughter claims that he has them hidden in their basement. I would hate for the police to search and not find them. That could cause me to lose credibility. I will get a copy of the record and file. I need to find out when hunting season starts!
Kmart is authorized to issue hunting licenses in Indiana, so if you call them they can tell you when deer season starts...and any other hunting season as well.

However you can probably find the info online as well, if you google it.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I got curious, so I looked it up. Indiana deer season (firearms) starts November 14. There is, however, a two day "youth" season on September 26 and 27. The youth must be accompanied by an adult, but that adult doesn't need a license if he's not going to hunt.

While I was looking for that, I also noticed the following. You said he doesn't need a license because he's on private property, but it sounds like that excemption only applies if it's a farm.

License Exemptions
The following are exempt from license requirements:
Residents or non-residents participating in a field trial licensed by the DNR.
Landowners or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana, their spouses and children living with them, while hunting, fishing or trapping on the land they own or lease. This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family and farm that land. Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.

I haven't really followed this thread so I don't know if this helps or not--and I know the issue has diverted to his ability to own/have/use a firearm--I just thought I'd post it FYI.

The complete regs for Indiana hunting is here (from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources) if you want to look for something else:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_generalinfo.pdf

I will proceed with cautin. The last thing I want is for him to be mad at our daughter for telling on him about hiding the weapons.

My ex does hunt on a family farm. It is also near an elementary school. His family sold farmland to the school and they built a new grade school. They also sold land to developers who have built homes on them. I cannot find anything referring to hunting near a school.

I have a ton of questions for DNR

Do you need to prove you have a weapons permit to obtain a deer tag/ hunting permit?

Is there a distance around schools that you must avoid for hunting?

Can you hunt on farmland that is owned by a family member with whom you do not reside? (ex. hunting on grandparent's farm)

What kinds of weapons can a youth use while hunting?

Is there a minimum age for youth?

I know I have more questions than those! Anyone have any ideas?

Thank You!

dad43

ok i'm from kentucky....and when i go home at christmas, i have every intention of taking my daughter to a hunting class....and while i may not FORCE her to kill anything, i will try to talk her into at least taking a shot...if she refuses, so be it ;) (i'm a feminine guy, i like emoticons:rolleyes:)

BUT aside from one other person, am i the only one who's thinking about the alleged abuse going on in dad's house???

wtf mom, it's not ok for him to do the hunting class, BUT it's ok that your daughter is obviously VERY AWARE that dad beats his wife??? hmmm....something is not washing for me.....i'd be MUCH more concerned with ABUSE than the possibility of my daughter being petrified of killing bambi or his mother...after all, before we had mass-butchered live stock, how the hell do people think we ate? that it magically appeared in "parcels" and the local poor folk sold it all wrapped up prettily? get a grip...i'm a bigger fan of women having some kind of gun class, as well as a concealed permit, as women are less likely to try and fight a man off using her hands if he's trying to rape her...unless that woman is a black widow, then she shouldn't be able to register at kmart for a martha stewart steak knife set:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">