• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired today company kept my tools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AtheHun

To any and all posters: please accept my profound heart felt apology if I "dissed" anyone here. I certainly did not mean too.

I have come here for help, and have received some very good answers, that I really appreciate.

Thank you all again. AtH

AtheHun

Update:

My former boss emailed me and wanted to meet me in a "public place" to give me the 500 lb give or take tool chest.

I said either ship it common carrier as the President who fired me said they would do, (I checked with my UPS box) and they will take delivery from a common carrier as long as they get the tool chest inside. Or take a company owned lift gate truck up to my property 50 miles North of the shop on Wednesday. I dunno which option they will opt for, (prolly cheaper to use the truck 100 miles n' 2 1/2 hours of labor then pay for a shipper).

AtheHun

I had a point, yes, and it wasn't the one you evidently thought. I wasn't calling your motives into question or accusing you of anything. But first, you still haven't answered my question and even if you do so now, I'm not inclined to offer any assistance at this point.
The two questions I posed were:

"It that legal to hold my personal property against my wishes?

What recourse do I have?"

The first response gave me what I was looking for as I said earlier.

Do what you want to do, I really don't care what you do or don't do.

I like the help I get at these type of forums, but: I don't need help from you or others if you don't want to help me, so carry on with whatever you want to do.

This passive aggressive stuff from some of you is very strange.

Why do you even post here if you find people seeking help so problematic?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The question I was asking was, in an ideal world, what recourse would you like to be able to have against the employer. You called the first answer you received, "disappointing". So I wanted to know where on the scale you were when it came to what was likely. If you were looking for something that was within range, it would require a different kind of answer than if you were looking for something off the scale.

But you chose to take offense.

So you have yourself a good day.

eerelations

The question I was asking was, in an ideal world, what recourse would you like to be able to have against the employer. You called the first answer you received, "disappointing". So I wanted to know where on the scale you were when it came to what was likely. If you were looking for something that was within range, it would require a different kind of answer than if you were looking for something off the scale.

Agree. cbg asked a perfectly reasonable question about where you wanted to see this go (for example, Are you looking to sue for wrongful termination, or is this just about your tools? Are you concerned about getting UI? Are you thinking age discrimination? What?), and instead of answering that, you responded with offense - twice now. (And you still haven't actually answered her question.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The two questions I posed were:

"It that legal to hold my personal property against my wishes?

What recourse do I have?"

The first response gave me what I was looking for as I said earlier.

Do what you want to do, I really don't care what you do or don't do.

I like the help I get at these type of forums, but: I don't need help from you or others if you don't want to help me, so carry on with whatever you want to do.

This passive aggressive stuff from some of you is very strange.

Why do you even post here if you find people seeking help so problematic?

It's obvious that your prior "apology" was empty and self-serving.

AtheHun

Ideally I was hoping the Washington State Dept of L and I would pressure an employer who withheld a workman's tools, (I did not give them my tools).

It was disappointing (to me) to hear that I only had a litigation option.

I'm very sorry for sharing my blunt feelings, I guess there is no place here on this forum for a person's candid feelings.

That doesn't mean I didn't appreaciate the spot on perspective. I did appreciate that perspective and I thought I said that: silly me.

I don't care if you help me or ignore me. I hope others will assist me with this battle I'm in with my employer

Thanks for your insights, you have a wonderful day as well.

ps: I try to make my words as plain and straight forward as possible, there is no need for posters to try to read my mind or project their own feelings to me.

I very much appreciate the help and I DO NOT mean to offend anyone here, including you.

Please accept this statement at face value, as I intend.

Thanks again.

AtheHun

It's obvious that your prior "apology" was empty and self-serving.
That is your opinion, which you are free to share.

I meant precisely what I said: at face value.

You are free to project your own feelings anytime you wish.

That, however does not make your feelings, or your projections true, as they are not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is your opinion, which you are free to share.

I meant precisely what I said: at face value.

You are free to project your own feelings anytime you wish.

That, however does not make your feelings, or your projections true, as they are not.
A "feeling" cannot be true or false.

Best of luck to you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Apology accepted.

However, since it appears that you and your employer have worked things out, I think I'll bow out at this point.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am still unsure why you want to insist on the tools being shipped, rather than picking them up at a "public place" with the stipulation that a fork lift be there.

I *get* that you're bitter. But why complain about the tools and then insist on a more costly and complicated solution?

justalayman

I am still unsure why you want to insist on the tools being shipped, rather than picking them up at a "public place" with the stipulation that a fork lift be there.

I *get* that you're bitter. But why complain about the tools and then insist on a more costly and complicated solution?
I can think of a couple reasons, the first off the top of my head is the boss comes and sets the box on the ground and drives away leaving op with no means to load them onto his truck and no way to secure them as he goes to attempt to get help to load them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">