• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired today company kept my tools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I can think of a couple reasons, the first off the top of my head is the boss comes and sets the box on the ground and drives away leaving op with no means to load them onto his truck and no way to secure them as he goes to attempt to get help to load them.
I had considered that. Personally, I'd try to require that a forklift be available and arrange for back up help if necessary. But rather than focus on requiring that, OP wants to go right off the bat to shipping it.

I have also considered that if OP takes his former employer to court, his attitude could go against him.
OP: "They wouldn't even let me take my tools."
Evil Boss: "[Excuse attempting to rationalize this.]"
Judge: "You should have tried to make arrangements to allow OP to retrieve his property."
Evil Boss: "I did. He refused to pick them up, and insisted that we ship them to some address 50 miles away."
Judge: "OP, do you live 50 miles away from the shop?"
OP: "I have property there."
Judge: "But you live closer."

Remember: he's asking the former employer to ship everything to his "recreational property". The employer has never been given OP's home address.

commentator

What may have happened here is due to some personality issues. It has long been established in some areas that the gripey-est and most hard to deal with people on the jobs are the mechanics who fix everything. They have to be just a little bit OCD to be really good at their jobs. They are professional, proud, and their work is invaluable to the operation of the business. They have lots and lots of expensive tools. And sometimes, they have through the years become very much prima donnas who require a lot of delicate handling. I can see a lot of things at play here related to the dynamics between the OP and the employer. We can't fix this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What may have happened here is due to some personality issues. It has long been established in some areas that the gripey-est and most hard to deal with people on the jobs are the mechanics who fix everything. They have to be just a little bit OCD to be really good at their jobs. They are professional, proud, and their work is invaluable to the operation of the business. They have lots and lots of expensive tools. And sometimes, they have through the years become very much prima donnas who require a lot of delicate handling. I can see a lot of things at play here related to the dynamics between the OP and the employer. We can't fix this.
^ ^ ^ like ^ ^ ^

justalayman

I had considered that. Personally, I'd try to require that a forklift be available and arrange for back up help if necessary. But rather than focus on requiring that, OP wants to go right off the bat to shipping it.

I have also considered that if OP takes his former employer to court, his attitude could go against him.
Judge: "You should have tried to make arrangements to allow OP to retrieve his property."
Evil Boss: "I did. He refused to pick them up, and insisted that we ship them to some address 50 miles away."

Remember: he's asking the former employer to ship everything to his "recreational property". The employer has never been given OP's home address.
I suspect the employer has forbidden the op fro coming to the property. Just a guess but it would explain why not just go the business and pick up the tools.

AtheHun

I am still unsure why you want to insist on the tools being shipped, rather than picking them up at a "public place" with the stipulation that a fork lift be there.

I *get* that you're bitter. But why complain about the tools and then insist on a more costly and complicated solution?
The heavy set would have been a struggle had they allowed me to load the chest onto my SUV rack with their fork lift, (I would have driven straight to my property unloaded the tools and had my step son help me unload the chest.

Why would they want to haul a fork lift to a "public place" just to load my tool set? Talk about expensive and complicated.

The burden is on them, they chose to keep my tools.

I gave them two possible solutions, both reasonable.

#1 Ship via common carrier to my UPS box as the President had stated would be done, or #2 use a lift gate truck to take the tools to my property and drop them off in a spot I designated.

The simpler and less costly solution would have been the lift gate truck, but they opted for shipping to UPS.

Why do you think I'm so unreasonable?

AtheHun

I can think of a couple reasons, the first off the top of my head is the boss comes and sets the box on the ground and drives away leaving op with no means to load them onto his truck and no way to secure them as he goes to attempt to get help to load them.
Very good point I hadn't thought of.

They are being very nasty with me and I don't want to give them any more opportunities to harm me.

AtheHun

I have been told in no uncertain terms (by the President who kept my tools), never to set foot on their property.

I don't think any Judge would be as tough on me as this forum is.

AtheHun

You guys really don't know me, and your incorrect about my relationships with all my co-workers prior to my 30 day notice when they hired my 21 year old replacement.

The notice was based on falsehoods that I challenged, and many on the team circled the wagons around my boss and the status quo, (out of fear? hard to tell. jealousy? unknown).

I doubt my boss would have held my tools that was the decision of the President who presides over the workforce with an iron hand, (that I was unaware of prior to my notice).

The first responder to my thread already did help me, thanks very much.

AtheHun

So why not just go to the edge of the business and pick up the tools?
They shipped the tools as they had committed, prior. No harm no foul, does that bother you?

I felt the ball was in their court: silly me.

I don't feeeeeeeeeeeeel like standing around at the edge of the business to get a very heavy tool set.

Anyhoo the Sherriff would prolly hit me for loitering.

What is you issue with me?

eerelations

None of the responders here (including me) has intentionally said anything remotely offensive to you, and yet you are taking offense at every single thing we say. For example, I suggested you arrange to meet your former boss at the edge of your former employer's property to pick up your tools. That was it, a simple suggestion. But instead of taking this simple suggestion at face value and responding with a simple "yes" or "no" (or not even responding at all), you took offense, responded with sarcasm, and then decided I somehow have some sort of issue with you. Where, in my simple suggestion, did you get all this?

And you've done this with other simple, basic and objective responses from other people. Reading between the lines (which, yes I know I just called you out for doing, but if it's OK for you to do then I guess it's OK for me to do), it's beginning to seem like your real purpose for coming here is to pick fights with the expert volunteers. Do you see how I'm getting this idea?

AtheHun

None of the responders here (including me) has intentionally said anything remotely offensive to you, and yet you are taking offense at every single thing we say. For example, I suggested you arrange to meet your former boss at the edge of your former employer's property to pick up your tools. That was it, a simple suggestion. But instead of taking this simple suggestion at face value and responding with a simple "yes" or "no" (or not even responding at all), you took offense, responded with sarcasm, and then decided I somehow have some sort of issue with you. Where, in my simple suggestion, did you get all this?

And you've done this with other simple, basic and objective responses from other people. Reading between the lines (which, yes I know I just called you out for doing, but if it's OK for you to do then I guess it's OK for me to do), it's beginning to seem like your real purpose for coming here is to pick fights with the expert volunteers. Do you see how I'm getting this idea?
Maybe you are strong enough to pick up a 500 lb tool chest, I'm very strong, but not that strong.

Why would I want to stand/lurk around the edge of property I have been told is off limits to me? My employer has shown me zero respect, and clearly wants to harm me. It doesn't sound like a very good idea as my former employer is very well established in the community and undoubtedly has a very good working relationship with local law enforcement.

The President who fired me said the tools would be shipped and the company has done just that, (and I gave them a less costly alternative that would have been win win for both parties), that was seen as unreasonable by some here.

I not sure why you feel the need to "call me out", (your words), but: I have zero problem with you.

Bottom line: you have taken a very aggressive tone with me, (which I don't have any problem with, BTW as stated prior). You have attempted to project the false narrative that I am trying to insult the experts here, which I deny as well. I value their input.

I actually find the aggressive treatment an advantage, as many posters think of many things that have never occurred to me, that clearly are factors that I have missed due to my lack of experience fighting an employer, (this is my first rodeo), but: I am learning from you folks, slowly but surely.

I plan to start a tread about my EEOC complaint, and I hope to get as much attention in that thread as you people really are very good here and I find all of your input very helpful.

Thank all of you!!!!

Respectfully, and I mean it:

AtH

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">