• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced charity work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitousmom

BelizeBreeze said:
and YOU have no idea of what you speak. Again, for the ignorant among us (get the point?) the mere suggestion that outside charity work will be considered in promotion and raise discussion (AS POSTED IN THIS FORUM) is not under the purvue of the DOL. Now learn something for a change.:rolleyes:
You still continue to miss the relevant point in the OP's post. Nonetheless, please provide a cite to support your statement that outside charity and volunteer work required by an employer are beyond the purvue of DOL.

I am waiting to find something factual and correct to learn from your posts. It's going to take more than your mere statements, which rarely are on point.

BelizeBreeze

mitousmom said:
You still continue to miss the relevant point in the OP's post. Nonetheless, please provide a cite to support your statement that outside charity and volunteer work required by an employer are beyond the purvue of DOL.

I am waiting to find something factual and correct to learn from your posts. It's going to take more than your mere statements, which rarely are on point.
and until you provide to THIS and everyother poster here you LEGAL qualifications you can kiss my ass.

The ONLY relevant point in the OP's post is the fact that the company has 'encouraged' the employees to partake of opportunities to better their chances for promotion. nothing more.

mitousmom

Temper, temper! Not getting angry, are you? Losing control?

What are your qualifications to post? They aren't apparent in your postings.

Are there qualifications to post? Where on the site are the requirements located? Are they stated somewhere or is that another one of your statements for which you have no support?

Rose

Two Faced Company

Let's face it. This company is speaking out of both sides of its mouth.

On the one hand, they do not require voluntary service, but there's no way he is going to A. Get a raise, B. Get a promotion or C. even keep his job unless he does this voluntary work.

Do I know anything about the law? No
Is there a law against this? I don't know
Is he keeping his job without doing this voluntary work? You answer that one!

BelizeBreeze

Rose said:
Let's face it. This company is speaking out of both sides of its mouth.

On the one hand, they do not require voluntary service, but there's no way he is going to A. Get a raise, B. Get a promotion or C. even keep his job unless he does this voluntary work.

Do I know anything about the law? No
Is there a law against this? I don't know
Is he keeping his job without doing this voluntary work? You answer that one!
and like mightymouth, you are making one hell of a lot of assumptions based on nothing but your own prejudices. There are many companies who suggest outside charity work as a way to increase your potential for raises and promotions. IBM is one. Sun Microsystems is another.

Ever hear of Microsoft?:rolleyes:

fairisfair

Not only companies that look at volunteer work, even colleges take into consideration your community service and extra curricular activities. I don't think I have ever worked for a major corporation that DIDN't encourage it's employees to perform community service. And that is exactly what this is, an encouragement to participate, it is not mandatory, and it is not overtime.

fairisfair

Rose said:
Yes, I have.

Now, please answer my question.
Just curious, can either you or Mitous Mom read??

"I was told that a portion of my performance review would be based on community service. I would be expected to serve breakfast to local grade school students or work the company tent at a jazz festival.
The review determines if you get a raise or not. "

the operative words here would be PORTION and REVIEW. It does not say that if he does not perform community service that he will not get a raise. READ IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

mitousmom

fairisfair said:
It does not say that if he does not perform community service that he will not get a raise.
I think it is these elements of the OP's situation that run afoul of the FLSA: I was told that a portion of my performance review would be based on community service . . . The review determines if you get a raise or not. . . . I was told I have to do a "company approved" service . . . they expect me to do this on my off days.

To be voluntary, the community service must be offered freely and without pressure or coercion, direct or implied, from the employer. If the employer includes community work as work for which it evaluates performance, and on which it bases pay raises, and further dictates the community service that is eligible for consideration, the employee is not freely offering his services.

mitousmom

BelizeBreeze said:
and like mightymouth, you are making one hell of a lot of assumptions based on nothing but your own prejudices. There are many companies who suggest outside charity work as a way to increase your potential for raises and promotions. IBM is one. Sun Microsystems is another.

Ever hear of Microsoft?:rolleyes:
Certainly, I know people who work for Microsoft and other Fortune 500 companies who promote community services and volunteer work. However in those cases, the companies allow the employees to perform those services on company time. The employees are paid by the company while performing those services. Clearly, not the situation for the OP.

BelizeBreeze

mitousmom said:
Certainly, I know people who work for Microsoft and other Fortune 500 companies who promote community services and volunteer work. However in those cases, the companies allow the employees to perform those services on company time. The employees are paid by the company while performing those services. Clearly, not the situation for the OP.
oh brother~! Guess who used to WORK for those companies and has an intimate KNOWLEDGE of their practices?

Not just Know someone who knows someone who heard something? :rolleyes:

And by the way mightymouth, Sun and Microsoft do NOT pay their employees for volunteer work outside the company sponsored events. They do, however, suggest community activities as a way to become a 'more well-rounded employee/member of the community'...

Now, guess from which newsletter I got that little tidbit?

mitousmom

The OP's volunteer work is a company sponsored event, so according to your information, he would be paid by Sun or Microsoft. A company's suggestion that engaging in community activities is "a way to become a 'more well-rounded employee/member of the community'" is drastically different from dictating what an employee's volunteer work should be and including it when evaluating the employee's work performance.

You still haven't provided any information that changes the relevant facts.

BelizeBreeze

mitousmom said:
The OP's volunteer work is a company sponsored event, so according to your information, he would be paid by Sun or Microsoft. A company's suggestion that engaging in community activities is "a way to become a 'more well-rounded employee/member of the community'" is drastically different from dictating what an employee's volunteer work should be and including it when evaluating the employee's work performance.

You still haven't provided any information that changes the relevant facts.
not to you maybe, but to a trained monkey with half a brain. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">