• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced charity work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitousmom

cbg said:
Would the two of you please take it outside?
Most of my posts are for the readers who come here for information. They need to get correct information or to be referred to appropriate sources. I have no interest in communicating solely with BB. Quite frankly, I think I would be wasting my time.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have responded to his last comment. In doing so, I insulted an entire biological species.

fairisfair

mitousmom said:
Most of my posts are for the readers who come here for information. They need to get correct information or to be referred to appropriate sources. I have no interest in communicating solely with BB. Quite frankly, I think I would be wasting my time.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have responded to his last comment. In doing so, I insulted an entire biological species.
On what premise are you basing the idea that your information is correct??

turbowray

correct me if im wrong

an employer is not obligated in any way shape or form to give a raise to someone unless it is to make sure they are getting minimum wage,so the offer to do this to get a raise is within thier rights....since they are not obligated to give a raise,the poster may say no and forfeit the chance of a raise...it is not to keep a job,and not getting a raise may not mean that they dont meet expectations of thier job requirments,it just meanst that they dont meet guidlines to be given a raise that doesnt have to be offered in the first place...i would figure that that is why my corporation that i work for was able to do this....please enlighten me folks!!

Wartrace

Some new information. I have also been informed that if I do not participate I will lose half of my yearly bonus. Last year the bonus was 8,000.00.
Again, if I fail to participate I will be ranked as failing to meet expectations. The people on the Monday through Friday shift met expectations while on the clock. I am expected to do my "servitude" on my own time.
Also, if I went and painted a classroom in my own community it would not count. It has to be the company approved school.
I work in a factory keeping the machines running. I work hard for the money I make, on my feet 12 hours a day, getting injured on a regular basis and working in some dangerous conditions. In return they pay me a fair wage.
I have been with the company for 15 years and this is a new requirement. Where do you draw the line? What if I were forced to do something every off day in order to receive a good assessment?
I feel they have no right to require me to do ANYTHING if they are not paying for my time.

janimal

Although I would agree that encouraging employees to volunteer and considering their community service in a review would not normally require compensation for the time spent volunteering, I think I side with MitousMom on this one.

Seems to me that not participating in the company directed volunteer services does adversely affect the OP - OP's bonus will be significantly impacted. OP's bonus is compensation, and this compensation is cut because of lack of time spent working as a "volunteer" - seems to me this changes things.

It's great that the company wants to do the right thing by encouraging volunteer service. It's just a shame that in practice it's turned into a negative here.

I'd love to know how this all turns out!

RnsWiffScissors

Mitousmom is exactly right on this one, guys. I can promise you that the DOL would see this "volunteering" as compensable. It clearly impacts his income - therefore, not "voluntary".... If you don't agree, I would suggest that you contact DOL and explain that the person is being told it's voluntary, but that participation is noted in the performance review as consideration for a pay increase.

By the way, has IAAL hijacked Belize's screen name?

Wartrace

Mitousmom- You were 100% correct!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. My co-workers all say THANKS!

I printed out the letter you shared with me. I shared it with my co-workers. I called our company hotline and informed them of the situation. Two weeks ago the department manager let us all know we didn't have to do the "community service project" and it would not be reflected on our yearly evaluations.
Thanks again, you are great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">