• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents and legal right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

above82

I have to agree with Blue. Your OP insinuated that you were attempting to have legal rights to a child NOT yours, further it implied that you wanted to have the legal right to step in if you felt that things were not to YOUR satisfaction. That is not going to happen. I don't believe for one cotton picking minute that you are attempting to look at "just in case". I will also add since I read your other post that unless your partner is the father of your child, he wouldn't have been able to do anything at ALL since most state that even have GPV statutes make it very clear that you must be biologically or legally (as in adoption) to the grandchild to do anything.

So if all of us can see from your one post that you are attempting to assert yourself into a situation (overstepping) that you have no business doing so, then perhaps you need to reassess your thought process.
Believe for one cotton picking minute as you put it that we are attempting to ensure we have a way to step in if something happens. I understand the parents are the ones to be asking but as a responsible family member I am gathering information,that will be shared with the parents. So whether you believe my op or not, to me doesnt make a difference.

Rushia

We planned on discussing this with the parents..so not overstepping...being prepared.
No it's not being prepared. Sorry those of us who are very familiar with GPV laws know exactly what you are up to. You aren't fooling us.

Rushia

You haven't even discussed this with the parents?!

Okay..yeah. That's way overstepping.

:eek:
Pro, this is a classic (we see it all the time), where the GP attempts to fool the parent with guardianship and then take over. Esp, in a state where GPV isn't possible.

above82

You haven't even discussed this with the parents?!

Okay..yeah. That's way overstepping.

:eek:

I cant believe all the ignorance. Just because I took the initative to get information before I talked with them..thats overstepping. So again, me being curious about the law is wrong?

All I did was ask a simple question. Have any of you even thought maybe at this particular time neither parents were available to talk to? maybe working today and a thought came into my mind that what do i do if this or that happens.

I didnt know wanting to protect my granddaughter had to have a step by step guide.

And for your information, to any of you who can understand my grandaughter was brought to the hospital a few weeks back with a high fever and it scared us both to death thinking that what if we were watching her, it happened while she was in our care and the parents couldnt be reached and something more serious happened? Then what do we do? We apparently have no rights to do a thing?

Jeez...next time ill get a checklist on the correct order of things before posting.

above82

Pro, this is a classic (we see it all the time), where the GP attempts to fool the parent with guardianship and then take over. Esp, in a state where GPV isn't possible.

Not this time. nothing classic about asking what is out there to protect your family since the law doesnt.

Rushia

And I'd like to add that if your daughter or the father of the child were here, I would advise them to sign nothing offered by you or your attorney. If they were so inclined to listen to you, then I'd advise her and the father to have their own attorney's go over any proposal you offer with a fine tooth comb.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP's plan might just go a long way to guarantee that they are the LAST choice for any sort of "stand-by" guardianship.

above82

No it's not being prepared. Sorry those of us who are very familiar with GPV laws know exactly what you are up to. You aren't fooling us.

I tell you what, since you all have decided to not believe me and think I have some other motive. how about I give you all my phone number, address, first last name and we can have a telephone conference?

Would that help? Free advice is what this forum is called and thats what i thought i was going to get not reemed and accused of lying.

Rushia

Not this time. nothing classic about asking what is out there to protect your family since the law doesnt.
The law IS protecting the child and her family. If something were to happen to the parents then rest of you could all fight over her. That is something that is going to happen whether you like it or not.

Rushia

I tell you what, since you all have decided to not believe me and think I have some other motive. how about I give you all my phone number, address, first last name and we can have a telephone conference?

Would that help? Free advice is what this forum is called and thats what i thought i was going to get not reemed and accused of lying.
I have no wish to speak to you. I am a parent who fought off my former in laws for several years. This is simply one of the tricks they tried on me. Nothing you could say would ever force me to believe you. I have been there and done that. I simply wasn't foolish enough to believe the former in laws in my case.

above82

And I'd like to add that if your daughter or the father of the child were here, I would advise them to sign nothing offered by you or your attorney. If they were so inclined to listen to you, then I'd advise her and the father to have their own attorney's go over any proposal you offer with a fine tooth comb.

so youre insinuating that we are looking to hurt my own daughter. thats real nice. I guarantee both parents would ask us to be the guardians before anyone else. Including the fathers own parents.

Ive been on this forum for years and understand there are posters looking to do things to benefit themselves but obviously but you all are the ones who have overstepped.

Dont be so quick to judge people.

above82

I have no wish to speak to you. I am a parent who fought off my former in laws for several years. This is simply one of the tricks they tried on me. Nothing you could say would ever force me to believe you. I have been there and done that. I simply wasn't foolish enough to believe the former in laws in my case.

never said i was looking to fight anyone off.

Rushia

so youre insinuating that we are looking to hurt my own daughter. thats real nice. I guarantee both parents would ask us to be the guardians before anyone else. Including the fathers own parents.

Ive been on this forum for years and understand there are posters looking to do things to benefit themselves but obviously but you all are the ones who have overstepped.

Dont be so quick to judge people.
No, I am insinuating that I am on your daughters side to live her life with her child without YOUR interference.

above82

Whether anyone believes my intention of posting my OP or not to me at this point could care less. I also posted in the family law asking a question about power of attorney in case myself or my SO becomes sick in the hospital.

Again no laws to say we have rights to make decisions or see each other.

So does this mean my intention is to do harm to my SO?

No, sorry to burst anyones bubble. Its called..we are preparing ourselves...we are in the process of writing wills and preparing for the future.

So to all of you who think im up to something other than looking out to my family. Have a nice day. Ive been insulted enough in one post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">