• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High Functioning Autism and AP courses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kw0602

What is the name of your state? AL
My 9th grader has Autism, which ONLY effects her social interactions. Her major problems with school are bullying, lack of organization, and bullying. She was tested for special education due to her behavioral issues in 4th grade and at that time, she was at 9th grade level, or higher in all categories. Due to her lack of organization, she frequently turns in assignments late, but when she completes them, she usually does well. I have asked the school to accept her assignments late and/or provide her with assistance and they have refused as they say she is lazy. She has a 504 and I am told that the 504 can only provide support for regular courses. She was at regular course level in elementary school and I would like for her to be challenged a bit in high school. She currently has a D and F in two of her AP courses and As in two other AP courses. I would like to know if this is accurate that they can not provide the needed help due to her being in AP courses. She was denied an IEP multiple times, as they felt that she did not need specialized education as she makes As and Bs.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your child is only guaranteed an appropriate education. Perhaps your child should not be in (so many) AP classes...

kw0602

Thank you for your response. My question is can she be denied accommodations for a disability because she is in AP classes.

Zigner

You know - I would like to step back a little and ask a question. Has your child been offered a psychoeducational evaluation to determine if she qualifies for an IEP? Before being tested and having an IEP implemented, there were several times I was told that my son was "too smart" for an IEP. Intelligence alone is only part of the equation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Perhaps you need to take a more active role in your daughter's life, providing structure and routine at home, including (but not limited to): going over what tasks and assignments she has, both in and out of school, and having her put together a schedule of how she will accomplish those tasks and assignments.

It is not the school's job to teach her time management.

What you are asking for is not a disability-related accommodation. She does not, from your description, need additional time for exams. Rather, you are asking for additional time for homework. That is a time management problem.

As for social skills and bullying - again, many neurotypical children have been bullied. Being bullied is not a reason to have an IEP or additional time to complete homework.

Signed,
Bullied Procrastinator.

Just Blue

You know - I would like to step back a little and ask a question. Has your child been offered a psychoeducational evaluation to determine if she qualifies for an IEP? Before being tested and having an IEP implemented, there were several times I was told that my son was "too smart" for an IEP. Intelligence alone is only part of the equation.
(y)

HRZ

Start with the understanding that 504 plans are far cheaper for the district and give the individual,far fewer "rights " and you will begin to understand why the district tells 1/2 truths to get 504s in place !

An AP course is a regular education course .

One can most certainly have an IEP and be in AP class ( been that drill personally)

Whether or not she has a disability that impacts doing things on time and an IEP needs to be there so she gets an appropriate education..probably depends on the evaluator and the child's advocate like you ....I'm not there.

I can only suggest that some IEPs get in place for some very minor issues ...and as such they are supposed to be followed. The due process steps around special education hearings get to be very expensive for schools and beyond the skills of most parents ......bone up on some convoluted issues ....sometimes a well informed squeaky wheel gets greased

I have no knowledge if Autism relates to inability to meet basic timeline ....but others tell me students are quick to milk IEPs and 504s as excuses for just about anything .

kw0602

Yes she has and has been denied many times.

Zigner

Yes she has and has been denied many times.
You have the option to commission your own psychoeducational evaluation. But honestly, if she's been tested many times, and never been found to qualify, then it seems that your daughter likely doesn't qualify. I'd also like to point out that the fact that she's in AP classes is not what is causing her to not qualify for the IEP. I will now fall back to my first response - you likely ought to considering lessening your daughter's advanced placement course-load if she is unable to maintain successful grades.

kw0602

Perhaps you need to take a more active role in your daughter's life, providing structure and routine at home, including (but not limited to): going over what tasks and assignments she has, both in and out of school, and having her put together a schedule of how she will accomplish those tasks and assignments.

It is not the school's job to teach her time management.

What you are asking for is not a disability-related accommodation. She does not, from your description, need additional time for exams. Rather, you are asking for additional time for homework. That is a time management problem.

As for social skills and bullying - again, many neurotypical children have been bullied. Being bullied is not a reason to have an IEP or additional time to complete homework.

Signed,
Bullied Procrastinator.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am open to any suggestions. We have a wall calendar of assignments and due dates that we go over every week, and a planner that she takes to school. A folder with all homework assignments in it. I study and quiz with her weekly. Often the assignments are done, she forgets to turn them in. ADHD is part of autism and she is easily distracted, even with her medication. Sorry that I was not clear earlier that she does not need extra time to complete the assignments. Often they are done as I do them with her so I know they are done. She looses them between school and home. It is frustrating to me as well.

kw0602

You have the option to commission your own psychoeducational evaluation. But honestly, if she's been tested many times, and never been found to qualify, then it seems that your daughter likely doesn't qualify. I'd also like to point out that the fact that she's in AP classes is not what is causing her to not qualify for the IEP. I will now fall back to my first response - you likely ought to considering lessening your daughter's advanced placement course-load if she is unable to maintain successful grades.
Her grades are bad ONLY because she turn in assignments late. If they were on time, she would have an A in all 4 classes.

HRZ

You might be wise to pay for a real independent evaluation to help zero in on if an IEP makes sense...

I'm NOT going to jump to a conclusion that her inability to meet deadlines is tied to her disability ....she may have bitten off more Han she can chew, or you simply may not be on top of things as a parent of a teen !!!

Just Blue

Thank you for the suggestion. I am open to any suggestions. We have a wall calendar of assignments and due dates that we go over every week, and a planner that she takes to school. A folder with all homework assignments in it. I study and quiz with her weekly. Often the assignments are done, she forgets to turn them in. ADHD is part of autism and she is easily distracted, even with her medication. Sorry that I was not clear earlier that she does not need extra time to complete the assignments. Often they are done as I do them with her so I know they are done. She looses them between school and home. It is frustrating to me as well.
There is Autism and ASD. ADD (ADHD) is on the spectrum but not mean she is autistic. My DD has PDD ...on the spectrum but not autistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">