• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High Functioning Autism and AP courses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

In that post, she twice wrote "often". She doesn't seem to often fail to turn them in for the other two classes. As someone that raised a now 27-year-old son with autism, I can tell you that it wouldn't be selective to classes if it was an ASD issue.
It's selective to classes that likely INTEREST OP's child. For those classes s/he should remain in AP for the others the child should "downgrade" to Honors.

HRZ

Lots of courses in college and tasks in the workforce may be far from the top of ones interest list ...I'd be real nervous about allowing a child to set thier sights below the level at which they can perform by sabotage of performance

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Lots of courses in college and tasks in the workforce may be far from the top of ones interest list ...I'd be real nervous about allowing a child to set thier sights below the level at which they can perform by sabotage of performance
We can encourage... to an extent. However, at some point, the child needs to develop their ability to be independent. They need to learn how to look at their schedule of assignments and allocate their time to get their work done before college. Or at least before they live independently.

Did you go to college with your kids and follow them around, making sure that they did their assignments?!

ShyCat

I'm curious of how any on-time assignments so often managed to not be turned in. What is the child doing when everyone else in the room is handing in their assignment? I remember entering rooms, walking by the teacher's desk and dropping an assigned paper onto a growing pile. If I forgot to do that immediately, I certainly wouldn't miss that everyone else was dropping off their assignments. And other times the teachers asked us to pass our papers up to the front of the room to be collected. How could one miss that?

HRZ

I had pretty good antenna about school up thru Grade 12 ...and the OPs child is in grade 9 well below age to live independently , was not the dreaded helicopter parent ...and on one or more occasion and or spouse invited daughter to reconsider that outfit before she left the house .

Not every teacher in AP is going to ride herd on homework
...that that completed but not turned in homework was the major problem reported by OP ...

ajkroy

As a high school teacher, I can tell you that I haven't had a single paper assignment in over four years. I assign everything on Google Classroom (as do most of the teachers in my school).

For the student with organizational issues, perhaps ask if the assignments can be turned in electronically instead. It would certainly prepare the student for college and assignments are less likely to become "lost".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">