• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to co-parent with a difficult ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

I have posted on here a few times about my ex and I and our issues. He takes 14 vacation days when our courts order states 2 non-consecutive weeks, wasn’t paying the day care provider (when court documents stated each pay daycare provider equally), uses his mom as our sons daycare provider consistently on his time (when court documents state we are to use a specific one while each of us is at work). He recently just made our daycare provider of 3 years mad enough to quit, but we do have our son enrolled in the local Y now. He consistently tells me he has shared parenting and what he does on his time is his business. I agree to a point but when he’s at work as I ask where our son is at and he tells me it’s none of my business I feel that is bull. These are just some the issues that he could be in contempt of if we went back to court. Other issues that he does are not answer phone calls, or text messages. We both mutually agreed in counseling, which we both are currently in, that we would call at bedtime to allow the other parent say goodnight. He has downloaded some program on his phone which allows him to bypass my phone and it goes right to voicemail. I get the voicemail and call right back but of course no answer. He also returns our son without his shoes or coat or returns him in PJ's. Not a huge deal but its costly. I ask for the stuff back and he states he doesn't have it. It’s very difficult to co-parent because it’s either his way or no way. I believe he is just trying to punish me because we aren't together. He constanstly still tries to get me to take him back, even after 2 years of not being together. Tells me our son needs us together and he's going to grow up with problems because his mom and dad aren't together. He tries to do anything he can to make my life hectic and cause problems. I have contacted the GAL multiple times since court has been over and she states with my lawyers' counsel I should go back to court and ask that the shared parenting plan be terminated because obviously it isn’t working for us. The GAL also states she can’t do anything now to make my ex behave because she is not on the case anymore and if I wanted her to intervene I would have to reappoint her and go back to court.

What are everyone else thoughts or suggestions on what I can do? My lawyer stated earlier this week her ONLY suggestion is to go back to court because counseling isn’t working and he just simply won’t behave. We have been going through this for 2 years. She stated that court intervention seems to be the only that that would make him behave.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

I have posted on here a few times about my ex and I and our issues. He takes 14 vacation days when our courts order states 2 non-consecutive weeks, wasn’t paying the day care provider (when court documents stated each pay daycare provider equally), uses his mom as our sons daycare provider consistently on his time (when court documents state we are to use a specific one while each of us is at work). He recently just made our daycare provider of 3 years mad enough to quit, but we do have our son enrolled in the local Y now. He consistently tells me he has shared parenting and what he does on his time is his business. I agree to a point but when he’s at work as I ask where our son is at and he tells me it’s none of my business I feel that is bull. These are just some the issues that he could be in contempt of if we went back to court. Other issues that he does are not answer phone calls, or text messages. We both mutually agreed in counseling, which we both are currently in, that we would call at bedtime to allow the other parent say goodnight. He has downloaded some program on his phone which allows him to bypass my phone and it goes right to voicemail. I get the voicemail and call right back but of course no answer. He also returns our son without his shoes or coat or returns him in PJ's. Not a huge deal but its costly. I ask for the stuff back and he states he doesn't have it. It’s very difficult to co-parent because it’s either his way or no way. I believe he is just trying to punish me because we aren't together. He constanstly still tries to get me to take him back, even after 2 years of not being together. Tells me our son needs us together and he's going to grow up with problems because his mom and dad aren't together. He tries to do anything he can to make my life hectic and cause problems. I have contacted the GAL multiple times since court has been over and she states with my lawyers' counsel I should go back to court and ask that the shared parenting plan be terminated because obviously it isn’t working for us. The GAL also states she can’t do anything now to make my ex behave because she is not on the case anymore and if I wanted her to intervene I would have to reappoint her and go back to court.

What are everyone else thoughts or suggestions on what I can do? My lawyer stated earlier this week her ONLY suggestion is to go back to court because counseling isn’t working and he just simply won’t behave. We have been going through this for 2 years. She stated that court intervention seems to be the only that that would make him behave.
Then do as your attorney suggests. When she files, see about having her fees and all court costs to be paid for by Dad added to the filing. See if the judge bites. :cool:

LdiJ

Then do as your attorney suggests. When she files, see about having her fees and all court costs to be paid for by Dad added to the filing. See if the judge bites. :cool:
I agree. Both the GAL and your attorney state that going back to court is the only solution. Therefore, you should really follow their advice.

However, you also need to be prepared to deal with a difficult co-parent on a permanent basis, because some people simply never "get it".

gam

I agree. Both the GAL and your attorney state that going back to court is the only solution. Therefore, you should really follow their advice.

However, you also need to be prepared to deal with a difficult co-parent on a permanent basis, because some people simply never "get it".
Take note of what LdiJ says in the bolded. Just a fact that you may have to deal with and find other ways around some of these issues.

Get a detailed order, that states each party needs to return clothing, have the order say that each parent provide clothing for their own visits. That way your only sending clothes on their back. You can file contempt then if he does not return them. But be prepared that he still does not return the clothing. Ask around see if anyone has hand me downs they can give you, go to salvation army or garage sales and buy clothes cheap, that you have the child wear to dads.

Have your order say you have to use a site like Our Family Wizard. This allows you to do communication and it will show who is communicating and who is not returning communication. Very least have the order say all communication is done through email and each party has x amount of time to return the reply to the communication 24-48 hours is often the norm.

There are other things you can have added in, get the order as detailed as possible, get the GAL back involved. He still might not follow it, but you can try filing some contempts and see if he then "gets it". But he may never get it.

ogal

Thanks for the advice. This is Counselor did suggest the use of our family wizard, but of course it's not court ordered. We were using a notebook to communicate because there was a bunch of he said, she said, going on as well as abuse when I would go pick up the child. But the notebook has been put to caput because it wasn't being utilized properly and the ex was verball abusing me and harassing me in the notebook. In our court order it does state we are supposed to exchange clothing. But there isn't much exchanging going on. More like send the child back naked. He may never get it because he has problems following the rules. When we go back to court I am going to ask that he pay court and lawyer fees since the reason we are going back is because of his difficult nature. What is a court appointed family cordinator? I talked to my laywer today and she said that is the suggest of her and the ex's lawyer. She said it was someone to dictate what goes on between us. Pretty much if the child is sick I have to call her first and okay it with her before taking him to the doctor, or if I want to pick up the child early from daycare I have to ask her first just as well if I have a meeting at work I have to ask before atttending the meeting. Just curious. Thanks

Silverplum

Thanks for the advice. This is Counselor did suggest the use of our family wizard, but of course it's not court ordered. We were using a notebook to communicate because there was a bunch of he said, she said, going on as well as abuse when I would go pick up the child. But the notebook has been put to caput because it wasn't being utilized properly and the ex was verball abusing me and harassing me in the notebook. In our court order it does state we are supposed to exchange clothing. But there isn't much exchanging going on. More like send the child back naked. He may never get it because he has problems following the rules. When we go back to court I am going to ask that he pay court and lawyer fees since the reason we are going back is because of his difficult nature. What is a court appointed family cordinator? I talked to my laywer today and she said that is the suggest of her and the ex's lawyer. She said it was someone to dictate what goes on between us. Pretty much if the child is sick I have to call her first and okay it with her before taking him to the doctor, or if I want to pick up the child early from daycare I have to ask her first just as well if I have a meeting at work I have to ask before atttending the meeting. Just curious. Thanks
Really?

ogal

Really?

NO not really naked, but for example I picked up our son this am at 7:30am. Outside temp prolly 45-55. CAuse right now temp is 60. He had a wife beater on and pull up. Point is. I send the child with coat, shoes, socks, underwear running pants and a long sleve shirt yesterday am. So where is the same stuff I sent him in, or why isn't it on him. I ask where his clothes are. Ex's reply "This is what I had to send him in.' I left it and that and walked away. It's frusturating more than anything. This happens at every exchange. Then the ex will text me saying "You need to pack him clothes for the Y on Monday." Really!!!!!

Silverplum

NO not really naked,
Then don't say it.

:rolleyes:

ogal said:
but for example I picked up our son this am at 7:30am. Outside temp prolly 45-55. CAuse right now temp is 60. He had a wife beater on and pull up. Point is. I send the child with coat, shoes, socks, underwear running pants and a long sleve shirt yesterday am. So where is the same stuff I sent him in, or why isn't it on him. I ask where his clothes are. Ex's reply "This is what I had to send him in.' I left it and that and walked away. It's frusturating more than anything. This happens at every exchange. Then the ex will text me saying "You need to pack him clothes for the Y on Monday." Really!!!!!
We're not the Complaint Department.

gam

Return the child in what he arrived in. If he asks why, explain he has clothes for dads and clothes for moms.
Ohio temps run along with Mich temps, so I would not be sending the child at this time of year back in a wife beater and pull up on. That is going to come around and bite mom here in the butt.

So my suggestion wrap him in a blanket with the clothes he was sent to you in, and then hand him right off to dad without the blanket.

Silverplum

Ohio temps run along with Mich temps, so I would not be sending the child at this time of year back in a wife beater and pull up on. That is going to come around and bite mom here in the butt.

So my suggestion wrap him in a blanket with the clothes he was sent to you in, and then hand him right off to dad without the blanket.
Or, act like an actual parent and dress the child properly regardless of the other parent's actions or attitudes.

Every time a "parent" comes here and complains about this issue, I know that fighting and winning are more important than their child/ren. :mad:

gam

Then don't say it.

:rolleyes:

We're not the Complaint Department.
She's asking legit questions that she deals with and if we don't offer some suggestions, then it becomes a legal issue. Is not one point of all this to prevent things from going legal?

She's not just complaing, she asking for things to do to try and make this better. There are many here who have dealt with something similar or difficult ex's who offer good suggestions of how to go around something, you included.

If we offer some suggestions that have worked in cases we know, then we might just prevent some from having to go legal, which only causes more problems between the 2 parents. It's darn frustrating dealing with these minor things. If one does not know what to do or has run out of ideas themselves, then they often do the worn thing and make it all worse.

Just my opinion on it, and there is nowhere I can find anyways online anymore that offers help in dealing with this part of it. Not unless you want to go to one of those "mom" sites, where you get really bad advice and everyone sits around cutting down their ex.

TinkerBelleLuvr

There comes a point where you cannot afford to replace clothes that do not come back. I suggest taking a picture of your son before drop offs. Send said picture to dad saying THESE are the clothes expected back.

Or, have cheap clothes to that he wears to dad's. Have the order state that shoes and coats are a shared item and that each parent provides clothes for their time.

And yes, there are some folks who you cannot do anything about.

LdiJ

Or, act like an actual parent and dress the child properly regardless of the other parent's actions or attitudes.

Every time a "parent" comes here and complains about this issue, I know that fighting and winning are more important than their child/ren. :mad:
Silver, many parents live paycheck to paycheck and when one of the parents does what dad is doing, regarding the child's clothes, shoes, etc. it can cause a real economic hardship. Even buying at goodwill or thrift stores can be out of a parent's price range if they have to do it monthly.

OP, if you are still having this problem next spring, or if there are still yard sales going on in your area now, I suggest that you hit a bunch of them and buy up a bunch of 50 cent, 1 dollar type clothing, shoes, jackets etc. Send the child to dad in those clothes, and then, if you don't get them back, its no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">