• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am 17 years old and my parents dont let me go out on dates .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Happy Trails

pattgt said:
Listen all of yall!!!!! I know I am responsible for what I do once Im 17!!!! For example if I have truancy for school I have to go not my parents. If I was 16 my parents would have to go and it would have been their reasponsibility to pay!!! Now that that has been clarified I only came on here to know what was the best legal action I could take !!! Not for someone to tell me that I cant "terminate" my parents. I also dont know where you get the impression that I would turn out to be a pregnant teenager expecting welfare for a baby. MAYBE somebody else needs common sense. Yeah I dont have a full time job and I dont pay 100% of the bills!!! But I do have a part time job, go to school and pay half of the electricity and water bills. And fill up the gas every week for my moms truck. Now if their is something else to be said or be critized about please do me a favor and write back !!!!!
The fact is you are still a minor until the age of 18. You also have some misconceptions of what that means.

From Texas statutes:

§ 31.001. REQUIREMENTS. (a) A minor may petition to have the disabilities of minority removed for limited or general purposes if the minor is:
(1) a resident of this state;
(2) 17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and living separate and apart from the minor's parents, managing conservator, or guardian; and
(3) self-supporting and managing the minor's own financial affairs.
(b) A minor may file suit under this chapter in the minor's own name. The minor need not be represented by next friend.

§ 41.001. LIABILITY. A parent or other person who has the duty of control and reasonable discipline of a child is liable for any property damage proximately caused by:
(1) the negligent conduct of the child if the conduct is reasonably attributable to the negligent failure of the parent or other person to exercise that duty; or
(2) the wilful and malicious conduct of a child who is at least 10 years of age but under 18 years of age.

Wolflmg

pattgt said:
:rolleyes: Listen all of yall!!!!! I know I am responsible for what I do once Im 17!!!! For example if I have truancy for school I have to go not my parents. If I was 16 my parents would have to go and it would have been their reasponsibility to pay!!! Now that that has been clarified I only came on here to know what was the best legal action I could take !!! Not for someone to tell me that I cant "terminate" my parents. I also dont know where you get the impression that I would turn out to be a pregnant teenager expecting welfare for a baby. MAYBE somebody else needs common sense. Yeah I dont have a full time job and I dont pay 100% of the bills!!! But I do have a part time job, go to school and pay half of the electricity and water bills. And fill up the gas every week for my moms truck. Now if their is something else to be said or be critized about please do me a favor and write back !!!!! :D
Kid there is no legal action you can take. Your 17 and still a minor, pigs would have to fly before a judge would take a case where a 17 year old parents, wont let their kid date anyone. There are more important things happening out in the world, other then a 17 who cannot date.

S

shell007

The OP thinks she has it rough.

I was out of college, working full-time, 24-years-old, still living with my parent's, and two weeks before my wedding, my parent's grounded me for missing their set curfew.

I lived in their house...I lived by their rules!!!

Happy Trails

shellandty said:
The OP thinks she has it rough.

I was out of college, working full-time, 24-years-old, still living with my parent's, and two weeks before my wedding, my parent's grounded me for missing their set curfew.

I lived in their house...I lived by their rules!!!
...and as hard as that was, it probably helped you get off to a better start hadn't you had that opportunity.

If our poster does plan on attending college, I wonder if she knows it requires her parents financial information to fill out the FAFSA.

S

shell007

Happy Trails said:
...and as hard as that was, it probably helped you get off to a better start hadn't you had that opportunity.

If our poster does plan on attending college, I wonder if she knows it requires her parents financial information to fill out the FAFSA.
Yes...Now as an adult, I appreciate it and understand it all. We plan on doing the same thing with our own children. My parent's and I sit and laugh about it all the time now. We love em' to death!!!! :)

TSOL

Patt:

I'll attempt to offer you some advice although you may not like all of it.

As you have been told there is nothing that you can legally do until you are 18 and even then as long as you are under your parent’s roof they are in charge. From your post it sounds as if you don't really want to leave home. That’s a very wise choice. There are many things to consider prior to leaving home.

1.) What is your take home pay from that part time job?

2.) How many years do you have left until you graduate HS?

3.) Do you plan to go on to college?

4.) Do you have any idea where you would live? Don’t expect friends or friends parents let you stay there for long most don’t want the added trouble of having a runaway living with them.

5.) What will rent, utilities, phone, car payment, insurance, food, etc run you a month? I suspect more than you are currently making.

I suspect that you won't earn enough with your PT job to cover even 1/2 your expenses. This will mean you will need to drop out of HS to get a full time job to pay all of your bills and guess what type of job you'll get as a HS drop out. Chances are a menial job making min wage with ZERO room for advancement.

How do I know all this? Many years ago when I was about your age I thought I knew everything and that my parents were being unfair so I decided to leave home. At first it was great I was able to stay a friend’s family but after 2 weeks they needed me to move out. So I stayed with some older friends who had their own place it was great until they asked me to pay part of the rent and I realized that my PT job wouldn’t cover the bills I attempted to get a FT job but guess what I needed to drop out of HS to do it and a HS drop out only gets paid min wage and that’s not enough to live off of.

My so called friends got sick of me not being able to contribute to the bills and soon I was out on the streets with no place to live and I can tell you that there are all sorts of sickos out there just looking for teenagers especially girls. You could always sell yourself for money as many runaways do. Luckily I secured a job on a ranch that offered room and board along with a little spending money. After about 8 months on the ranch I came to the conclusion that I wanted more out of life than my current situation could offer and moved back in with my parents and abided by their rules.

Before jumping the gun and running away over something so stupid that will only effect you for 1 more year of your life please consider the consequences.

garrula lingua

OP: I left home at 16. Had my own apt.; worked full-time after high-school.

I lived happily ever after.

The choice is yours. But you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

I had no contact with any family member for years, and have never received any assistance from any family member.
That worked for me. Will it work for you ?

gawm

garrula lingua said:
OP: I left home at 16. Had my own apt.; worked full-time after high-school.

I lived happily ever after.

The choice is yours. But you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

I had no contact with any family member for years, and have never received any assistance from any family member.
That worked for me. Will it work for you ?
You were an exception to the rule. Most minors will not make it on their own. You should not encourage her in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">