• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am 17 years old and my parents dont let me go out on dates .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weenor

Choices

OP- This is not a world where children- even your age- can support themselves easily. I had the same thoughts at your age. . .then I saved up, planned and arranged so that I was able to take care of myself at 18 without mom and dad. Put myself through college and eventually law school.

P.S. Don't correct the lawyers on the law. Some of us actually know some.

Law Gangster

Why is everyone bothering with the original writer? She's already made up her mind and, in her mind, she's correct! The only reason why she came here was not to be "convinced out" of her position; but rather, to obtain some justification and reasoning for her position - - something she could use to tell her folks. So, who cares? Nobody, that's who.

Like any other town, you go into Hollywood, California, and all you see on the sidewalks and in doorways are derelics, some old and mostly kids who thought "they could make it." I shake my head, and move on.

IAAL

AHA

Alex11 said:
if he doesn’t bring her home on time, or if he gives her drags and/or alcohol?
Because by then it will be too late and the damage will already be done, and sometimes an unwanted pregnancy will have started it's path.
Young people are becoming more and more irresponsible these days, so what is so wrong with trying to encourage "better safe than sorry" in their minds? We are supposed to teach kids stuff, not deliberately place them in situations that they are not old enough to handle the consequences. Once they are legal adults they can do whatever the hell they want, but until then it's the adult's job to look out for them.

garrula lingua

I can't help wondering what magical thing will occur between the last day of age seventeen and the first day of age 18.

Personally, I think moral values should be set in stone, long before those ages.

...This is a false measure of maturity: age 18.
Some arrive sooner, some later, some never.

AHA

garrula lingua said:
I can't help wondering what magical thing will occur between the last day of age seventeen and the first day of age 18.
Well, ask the person who came up with that law.

JETX

garrula lingua said:
Actually, something pretty 'magical' does happen. The person becomes an adult in the eyes of the law.

Just as 'magical' as the day someone turns 21 and can legally drink.
Or a person turns 67 and can legally draw social security.
Or a person turns 55 and can order off the 'senior special' menu at Denny's!!
Or a person turns 3 and can no longer get in free at the zoo.

They are all arbitrary dates as set by the legislature (in the case of statute or law) or by the company (as in the case of Denny's).

weenor

Alex11 is apparently under age as well. The original post was about what this child could do legally- which is nothing. Alex11's feelings about OP's parents and their morality is irrelevant.

JETX

weenor said:
Alex11 is apparently under age as well. The original post was about what this child could do legally- which is nothing. Alex11's feelings about OP's parents and their morality is irrelevant.
Yep. From reading other posts by 'Alex' (and his very poor grammar), it is clear that he has, at best, a 3rd grade education. He has zero comprehensive skills.... and can't develop or express simple cognizant thought. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">