• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am an old lady and still working so I can sponsor my ex-husband in the future

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

Florida. I own a $117,000 house and have $70,000 in the bank. I am tired of working but my social security check is not considered enough money to sponsor him. Can I use my house and the money in my bank instead to qualify as his sponsor? Or am I forced to keep working in order to sponsor him? He is living in Morocco. Thank you.

LdiJ

Florida. I own a $117,000 house and have $70,000 in the bank. I am tired of working but my social security check is not considered enough money to sponsor him. Can I use my house and the money in my bank instead to qualify as his sponsor? Or am I forced to keep working in order to sponsor him? He is living in Morocco. Thank you.
I don't believe that it is possible to sponsor an ex spouse.

FlyingRon

I don't believe that it is possible to sponsor an ex spouse.
You are right in that there's no "family-based immigration" procedure for former spouses. You can however, join in the support affidavit of anybody (don't need a relationship).

t74

The type of asset is important. Having cash is very different than a house if that is your residence.

If you were to remarry you ex and sponsor him. how do you plan to support the two of you when you retire? Having jsut gone through the Medicare drug plan pricing, you will have a very hard time existing yourself if your income from SS is not 125% of the poverty level for sponsorship.

violas

Thanks for your responses. We want to re-marry. He owns a nice big home in Morocco. He said he also gets a monthly retirement check in Morocco. He has money and will pay me $500 a month to live in my home.

t74

Thanks for your responses. We want to re-marry. He owns a nice big home in Morocco. He said he also gets a monthly retirement check in Morocco. He has money and will pay me $500 a month to live in my home.
This sounds like buying an immigration benefit.

You have to prove a relationship is real. Quite frankly, you have a problem. If he really wanted to be a couple, he should sell his homa and put all of the proceeds and his pension in a joint account.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Move to Morocco.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If he really wanted to be a couple, he should sell his homa and put all of the proceeds and his pension in a joint account.
Why do you say that? That's not even advice we'd give to couples living IN the US who marry later in life. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

violas

This sounds like buying an immigration benefit.

You have to prove a relationship is real. Quite frankly, you have a problem. If he really wanted to be a couple, he should sell his homa and put all of the proceeds and his pension in a joint account.
It is real. He doesn't want to sell his home-3 stories because he likes making money renting out some of the rooms. Plus he loves Morocco and wants to have a nice place to stay when he visits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">