• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Not as Advertised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm starting to see why OP's employer doesn't want him to be the "voice of the hospital". With his communications skills he is more likely to lose them 10's of thousands of $$ than to bring it in.
Just a bit of free advice for you: the period goes within the quotation marks and you should have placed a comma after the word "skills." Nicely done, Einstein. :D

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
the period goes within the quotation marks

Not correct. That is only the case if the entire sentence is quoted. When only a phrase is quoted, the period correctly goes outside the quotation marks.

Not correct. That is only the case if the entire sentence is quoted. When only a phrase is quoted, the period correctly goes outside the quotation marks.
Depends upon which style you use. For example, communications professionals such as myself normally use AP style while others use Chicago Manual of Style. So, my recommendation is correct.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

And furthermore, comma placement is a highly "stylistic" thing. There is nothing improper about jal's usage.

justalayman

Just a bit of free advice for you: the period goes within the quotation marks and you should have placed a comma after the word "skills." Nicely done, Einstein. :D
Surely glad I didn't pay for your advice but I do admit it was worth exactly what I paid for it.

Surely glad I didn't pay for your advice but I do admit it was worth exactly what I paid for it.
Wait, wait, wait: So you're glad you didn't pay for it but it was worth exactly what you paid for it. Whew...man, you are REALLY showing off your IQ today! You get a star!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Depends upon which style you use. For example, communications professionals such as myself normally use AP style while others use Chicago Manual of Style. So, my recommendation is correct.
Of course, those aren't the only stylebooks. But JAL's punctuation is grammatically correct, no matter which stylebook one is using. :cool:

anearthw

Certified English teacher here!

I agree with the comma - but Chicago style clearly states that the period of an incomplete quote goes outside the quotation marks, not inside.

.(.By the way.,. it's the same for a full quote.).

^That's just to make EVERYBODY happy :D

Actually, you were NOT correct. You made a statement of correction when said correction was not proper.

I too can see why your contract is being terminated.
Sorry but contract not being terminated. I'm a salaried employee. And actually after a good heart-to-heart talk with my boss today, all is fine so you can breath easy now. :D

quincy

Sorry but contract not being terminated. I'm a salaried employee. And actually after a good heart-to-heart talk with my boss today, all is fine so you can breath easy now. :D
The word you were looking for is "breathe," not breath. ;)

I agree with big_dude that the AP Styleguide says to always put periods on the inside of quotation marks. If something is written too late for publication, however, or if one cannot write well enough to be published, period placement is not really going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">