• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Not as Advertised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/writing/sixtrait/conventions/punctuation.html#QUOTATION MARKS

quincy

http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/writing/sixtrait/conventions/punctuation.html#QUOTATION MARKS
There are differences in styles. justalayman was not incorrect. big_dude was only correct in his reference to AP's preference.

And, big_dude had several other errors in his posts that would need editing prior to publication.

OHRoadwarrior

So you claimed he was wrong, then admitted he was correct. I can see why they have you doing print work. They can review what you say before it is released.

Depends upon which style you use. For example, communications professionals such as myself normally use AP style while others use Chicago Manual of Style. So, my recommendation is correct.

quincy

VERY wise move.
It is a very unwise move to use a partial quote, big_dude, when to use the partial quote alters the meaning and intent of the author.

Your editor must be kept busy with your writing, huh? I found several errors just on a quick read through your posts.

You forgot a word ("It what I was hired to do"). You added an unnecessary word ("This one felt the need to do it to this particular time ... "). There should be a comma after CBG ("Thank you, CBG for a reasoned response ... ") and "CBG" should not be capitalized. The proper spelling of her name is "cbg."

Unless quoting a text message, you should not use "LOL" to indicate that you or anyone else is laughing out loud.

You have a fondness for semicolons that I recommend you get over quickly. The AP Styleguide says of semicolons: "Unless a particular literary effect is desired ... the better approach in these circumstances is to break the independent clauses into separate sentences."

And, despite the AP Styleguide's preference for period placement inside quotation marks, semicolons should be placed outside the marks. Your "OK" did not need a semicolon after it at all, by the way.

Finally, you might want to learn how the AP Styleguide prefers you use ellipses.

I am thinking that big_dude may not always be as correct as he thinks he is. ;)

Last edited:

tranquility

The Big Dude is ALWAYS correct!
VERY wise move.
Big Dude was getting on a bus one day when the bus driver asked for the fare. "Big Dude don't pay." in a menacing voice was the response as Big Dude walked blithely past the driver. The driver, being a small man, was very afraid and said nothing. He was later embarrassed at his response and swore to right this wrong by taking martial arts classes. As the lessons went on over the weeks and months, each day was the same; "Big Dude don't pay." Hundreds of bruises and thousands of kicks and punches later the bus driver became a hard-bodied karate master. Finally, on a fateful day, the driver was determined to show Big Dude what for.

As has been the pattern, Big Dude stepped up the stairs to the bus driver and said, "Big Dude don't pay."

The driver let loose with a loud kiai while getting in his fiercest stance and preparing his iron-like fists for what was sure to be the greatest beatdown since a classmate last made fun of Mike Tyson's lisp. "WHY DOESN'T BIG DUDE PAY?!!!" yelped the driver with an overwhelming rage.

As he reached into his pocket to pull out and show a card, Big Dude replied, "Because Big Dude has a bus pass."

Anyone who criticizes another on writing style on an internet forum does not impress me for doing so. Sure, some write so incomprehensibly some mention must be made encouraging the use of sentences, paragraphs or a friend to help with spelling. (Fire truck the Oxford comma. I've seen the jokes so don't think you'll be clever pointing out how I'm wrong. http://mentalfloss.com/article/33637/best-shots-fired-oxford-comma-wars .) It's just that this is not a formal letter or a job where the precision of the Engrish matters. As long as it is understandable, I'm fine. Criticize me on spelling? Mispeling is my LIFE! Grammer? You ain't seen nothin' yet. I've written posts with ranDOm Capitalization, and; used any: punctuation (available)--just to annoy prissypant writers who gave me a hard time. Why?

Because the content matters. Polish and craft help the content. But if all one can do is criticize the English skills of a poster in a forum on the internet, I'm thinking that person has already lost whatever argument he was trying to make.

Oh, and to bring this back with some legal content:
1. Yes, one can be fired for no reason as long as it is not a prohibited reason. (Such as race, religion [usually] or something like that.)
2. Jobs change and an employer who has a different need can fire a person and get one who can fulfill the new need.
3. If the firing is done because the former employee does not have the proper skill set for the new job, he will usually be eligible for unemployment. If the firing is done because the former employee does not like using the new skill set, he may not be eligible for unemployment.

quincy

... Because the content matters ...
Your story's content needs some work, tranq. :p

I agree with you that it is the content of a post that is most important. Most of those who post to this forum are not professional writers and no one who is volunteering on this site is getting paid to write. Therefore, no one on this site should be held to the same standards of writing that a professional writer is held when writing professionally.

On the other hand, when someone visits this forum looking for free advice from a volunteer, and decides to make an issue out of the spelling, punctuation or grammar used by a volunteer. . . . .well. . . . .I personally have absolutely no problem pointing out the jerk's own errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar.

1_big_dude happened to make this very easy.

Anyway, no harm was done to big_dude in the making of this thread. He breaths easy. ;)

Last edited:

tranquility

Your story's content needs some work, tranq. :p

I agree with you that it is the content of a post that is important. Most of those who post to this forum are not professional writers and no one who is volunteering on this site is getting paid to write. Therefore, no one on this site should be held to the same standards of writing that a professional writer is held when writing professionally.

On the other hand, when someone visits this forum looking for free advice from a volunteer, and decides to make an issue out of the spelling, punctuation or grammar used by a volunteer. . . . .well. . . . .I personally have absolutely no problem pointing out the jerk's own errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar.

1_big_dude happened to make this very easy.

Anyway, no harm was done to big_dude in the making of this thread. He breaths easy. ;)
My post was directed to Big Dude. When a purported professional insults casual writers writing casually because of style or precision, he best make it right. Glass houses do not even cover it as that implies all are equal.

quincy

My post was directed to Big Dude. When a purported professional insults casual writers writing casually because of style or precision, he best make it right. Glass houses do not even cover it as that implies all are equal.
I understood that what you wrote was directed at big_dude, tranquility, and your points were well made. I agree with them all.

As a note: If I had thought for a minute that your post had been directed at me, my response would have been an edited version of your post. ;) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">