• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bali Hai Again

Because Curious2134 said his house was built in 1993 - only 30 years ago - it is likely that a previous owner or owners are still around who might have relevant information (documents, perhaps) that can clarify ownership of the strip of land beyond the fence.

It is possible that the use of the strip of land by the neighboring property for their cows was a permissive use, granted to the neighbors by the original owner of the 1993 house. If the strip of land is found to be used by permission of a previous owner, rather than adversely possessed, permission to use the land can be withdrawn.

I think it would be worthwhile for Curious to check in with the previous owners of both properties to see if they can shed some light on how the fence came to be positioned as it has been and under what circumstances.
I agree. If I were the OP I would be grabbing at straws to preserve the acreage that I bought and paid for just as I would if someone were stealing from my bank account. With the price of real estate these days the value is probably significant.

A reminder below in OP’s first post:

When we bought this property our disclosure says the northern neighbor had a fence line on our property. 90% wooded. We accepted anyway.

We did speak with the previous owners. The fence was there when they purchased the property. The neighbors house wasn't built until 2006. Up until then, and even now, the pasture line runs almost perfectly on the surveyed property line except for a small section. The barbed wire runs off into our woods and is overgrown and long since grown into trees. Most of the property I am talking about is in the woods. I found an areal image of the area from 1955 - and the pasture was the same way then before any of us even existed. Only one photo that I can find from a winter that even shows the fence line and that's because the fence is full of sticker bushes and other weeds.

The prior owners of my property didn't have an agreement with the prior owner of the pasture over the land. They didn't force him to move the fence either. They said they thought he was an honorable man and are disappointed we are having to deal with it. I can see where they are coming from. Why make an issue if there doesn't seem to be one? Thus, they disclosed the fence line to us in the paperwork. They weren't aware of any dispute or misinformation.

All surveys, documents, areal photos, and satellite images show the correct property line. There exists no document that either allows the neighbor to use the land or that they can have the land. The neighbor didn't build the fence. In fact looking back through the land on the county website, I can see ownership transferring through families, and somehow in the 1970s a church was involved, but the legal description has always remained the same as far back as I can go.

A few things this lawyer in Branson told me that I became awfully skeptical of since I replied to this thread a number of days ago. It took over an hour drive time and 100 bucks to get there to see him too, which now have been a waste.
1) He said Missouri doesn't have the purple paint law after I asked him if the trees need to be exactly on the property line. He replied, "Spray the trees on your property north of the fenceline as close to the boundary. Missouri isn't a state (like Texas) that has the purple post notice thing, but it will indicate you exercising dominion over the trees on your land." I asked for a reason https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=569.145 isn't applicable to which he hasn't replied yet.
2) I am finding conflicting information on the concurrent 10 year thing, regardless of who owns the property like he specifically said more than once. The law and subsequent legal issues seem to be more than I can interpret, but I am not so certain about being able to transfer the 10 years to an entirely different party. If that were the case, the neighbor could have bought their property than immediately have initiated Adverse Possession before they even moved in. That doesn't sound right. "Howdy neighbor, I'm taking your property."
3) I have the survey print from when the house was built, and I paid for the survey last year. They are the same. The Branson lawyer told me that if the realtor told the neighbors they own to the fence and they believed it, then that gives them some leverage. Well we were told and have proof that we own to the property line. How can their "belief" trump our "belief"? I'm not so sure about that either and do not yet have an answer.
4) The neighbor disposed of the survey stakes. Am I supposed to pay for another survey to mark these trees or just guess? I don't know the answer to that for sure either because I'm not sure I got the right information from the guy in the first place.

Tomorrow I am going to try to find a different lawyer. The one I visited was recommended from a different lawyer who didn't want to do any potential litigation because he was 68 semi-retired.

quincy

We did speak with the previous owners. The fence was there when they purchased the property. The neighbors house wasn't built until 2006. Up until then, and even now, the pasture line runs almost perfectly on the surveyed property line except for a small section. The barbed wire runs off into our woods and is overgrown and long since grown into trees. Most of the property I am talking about is in the woods. I found an areal image of the area from 1955 - and the pasture was the same way then before any of us even existed. Only one photo that I can find from a winter that even shows the fence line and that's because the fence is full of sticker bushes and other weeds.

The prior owners of my property didn't have an agreement with the prior owner of the pasture over the land. They didn't force him to move the fence either. They said they thought he was an honorable man and are disappointed we are having to deal with it. I can see where they are coming from. Why make an issue if there doesn't seem to be one? Thus, they disclosed the fence line to us in the paperwork. They weren't aware of any dispute or misinformation.

All surveys, documents, areal photos, and satellite images show the correct property line. There exists no document that either allows the neighbor to use the land or that they can have the land. The neighbor didn't build the fence. In fact looking back through the land on the county website, I can see ownership transferring through families, and somehow in the 1970s a church was involved, but the legal description has always remained the same as far back as I can go.

A few things this lawyer in Branson told me that I became awfully skeptical of since I replied to this thread a number of days ago. It took over an hour drive time and 100 bucks to get there to see him too, which now have been a waste.
1) He said Missouri doesn't have the purple paint law after I asked him if the trees need to be exactly on the property line. He replied, "Spray the trees on your property north of the fenceline as close to the boundary. Missouri isn't a state (like Texas) that has the purple post notice thing, but it will indicate you exercising dominion over the trees on your land." I asked for a reason https://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=569.145 isn't applicable to which he hasn't replied yet.
2) I am finding conflicting information on the concurrent 10 year thing, regardless of who owns the property like he specifically said more than once. The law and subsequent legal issues seem to be more than I can interpret, but I am not so certain about being able to transfer the 10 years to an entirely different party. If that were the case, the neighbor could have bought their property than immediately have initiated Adverse Possession before they even moved in. That doesn't sound right. "Howdy neighbor, I'm taking your property."
3) I have the survey print from when the house was built, and I paid for the survey last year. They are the same. The Branson lawyer told me that if the realtor told the neighbors they own to the fence and they believed it, then that gives them some leverage. Well we were told and have proof that we own to the property line. How can their "belief" trump our "belief"? I'm not so sure about that either and do not yet have an answer.
4) The neighbor disposed of the survey stakes. Am I supposed to pay for another survey to mark these trees or just guess? I don't know the answer to that for sure either because I'm not sure I got the right information from the guy in the first place.

Tomorrow I am going to try to find a different lawyer. The one I visited was recommended from a different lawyer who didn't want to do any potential litigation because he was 68 semi-retired.
One other tidbit my wife reminded me of, these aren't even my neighbor's cows. He leases his land to someone else.
Finding a local property law attorney would be smart.

LdiJ

The more I think about this the more I look at it from a different perspective. Clearly the barbed wire fence is very old and has not been maintained. It is old enough that the wires have grown into trees. This may be a fence that hasn't been in use for decades and no one bothered to remove it because it was out in the middle of the woods that apparently weren't being used for any specific purpose. It might actually be difficult to prove who put the fence there in the first place and why. If it cannot be proven who put the fence there and why (maybe even a former owner of OP's property) then how can any adverse possession be claimed?

Bali Hai Again

The more I think about this the more I look at it from a different perspective. Clearly the barbed wire fence is very old and has not been maintained. It is old enough that the wires have grown into trees. This may be a fence that hasn't been in use for decades and no one bothered to remove it because it was out in the middle of the woods that apparently weren't being used for any specific purpose. It might actually be difficult to prove who put the fence there in the first place and why. If it cannot be proven who put the fence there and why (maybe even a former owner of OP's property) then how can any adverse possession be claimed?
The fence is being used to keep the cows corralled. If the fence is not being used to keep the cows in place, then what is? Trees and bushes?
I agree with you, a court may not.

quincy

Proving adverse possession stands to be difficult at best. It not only depends on the previous/original owners of the property who encroached on the land purchased by Curious2134 but also on the previous/original owners of Curious2134’s property. It needs to be determined if any agreement was made between these property owners over the slice of land now in dispute.

Bali Hai Again

And I’m not buying that the disclosure provided by the previous owners was so innocent. That should be a big red flag to anyone buying real estate.

quincy

And I’m not buying that the disclosure provided by the previous owners was so innocent. That should be a big red flag to anyone buying real estate.
It’s definitely possible that the previous owner of Curious2134’s property knew and knows more about the fence than they let on. There might have been an existing dispute over that portion of the property between the former owners of those lots that they each decided to pass on to the new owners of each.

LdiJ

It’s definitely possible that the previous owner of Curious2134’s property knew and knows more about the fence than they let on. There might have been an existing dispute over that portion of the property between the former owners of those lots that they each decided to pass on to the new owners of each.
The point I was making was that if nobody knows why the original fence was put there, possibly decades ago, then it just as easily have been former owners of OP's property who put it there for some internal purpose.

quincy

The point I was making was that if nobody knows why the original fence was put there, possibly decades ago, then it just as easily have been former owners of OP's property who put it there for some internal purpose.
All sorts of possibilities exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">