• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord refuses to repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bng808

What is the name of your state?
Hawaii

Landlord refuses to repair water heater. He is now court ordered to do so, yet still refuses. He is now in criminal contempt of court, yet has not been arrested or charged which I don't understand. Hawaii allows for deduct and repair, but he will not give consent for the repairs. What are other possible options at this point?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?
Hawaii

Landlord refuses to repair water heater. He is now court ordered to do so, yet still refuses. He is now in criminal contempt of court, yet has not been arrested or charged which I don't understand. Hawaii allows for deduct and repair, but he will not give consent for the repairs. What are other possible options at this point?
If he is court ordered to repair the water heater, I don't know why you would need his consent to deduct and repair.

Bng808

If he is court ordered to repair the water heater, I don't know why you would need his consent to deduct and repair.
Because the contractors we have contacted are requiring it I would assume due to liability?

Gail in Georgia

You don't need a contractor to replace the water heater. You need a plumber if you cannot do this yourself.

I typically replace water heaters without the help of a plumber. However, every time I've used a plumber for other issues they've never asked if I owned the place or were, perhaps, a renter. They are only interested in doing the job and getting paid.

Gail

Bng808

Sorry, here's more information. The water heater was turned off by the gas company because it was leaking gas due to lack of maintenance and age.

Bng808

Also, landlord currently has 6 code violations against him, one being unpermitted installation of gas and water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">