• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord -tenant boundaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Allison118

Florida, Tampa

Hello, I live in a house with a Landlord, I rent half of the house. When I moved in one and a half years ago everything was fine, all the rooms were open he did not even ask me to pay a deposit. I always pay on time and I am trying to be a nice tenant. When I moved in a lived with my boyfriend, we lived together in Landlord’s house for 1 year but we broke up. Now I have another boyfriend, he comes to my place about twice a week. My Landlord set up the cameras to see what’s happening outside, but because the cameras are inside of the house he can also hear everything I talk about in the house. Also I forgot to mention that Landlord is a truck driver, so he comes home once in two months. Then he told me that when he comes home nobody can come to see me, I can have no guests. I agreed. Then he set up the rule that I can have guest any time, but my boyfriend can spend the night over only 7 nights a month. Yesterday when my boyfriend came to my place (not to spend the night) we were just watching tv together, my Landlord started calling me and texting me at 11 pm saying “Muza stop braking the rules” “you already had your boyfriend at your place 7 times this month” even though he spent 5 nights at my place this month and not 7. I feel like my Landlord is trying to control my life, and that it is something personal not related to the property. Can the Landlord tell me how many times I can have guests at my property? Is it okay that he can hear everything what is happening in the house?

adjusterjack

Do you have a written lease with a specific from to date?

If not, it looks like it's time to find another place to live, and not in somebody else's house because you are always going to have problems with the homeowner.

LdiJ

Florida, Tampa

Hello, I live in a house with a Landlord, I rent half of the house. When I moved in one and a half years ago everything was fine, all the rooms were open he did not even ask me to pay a deposit. I always pay on time and I am trying to be a nice tenant. When I moved in a lived with my boyfriend, we lived together in Landlord’s house for 1 year but we broke up. Now I have another boyfriend, he comes to my place about twice a week. My Landlord set up the cameras to see what’s happening outside, but because the cameras are inside of the house he can also hear everything I talk about in the house. Also I forgot to mention that Landlord is a truck driver, so he comes home once in two months. Then he told me that when he comes home nobody can come to see me, I can have no guests. I agreed. Then he set up the rule that I can have guest any time, but my boyfriend can spend the night over only 7 nights a month. Yesterday when my boyfriend came to my place (not to spend the night) we were just watching tv together, my Landlord started calling me and texting me at 11 pm saying “Muza stop braking the rules” “you already had your boyfriend at your place 7 times this month” even though he spent 5 nights at my place this month and not 7. I feel like my Landlord is trying to control my life, and that it is something personal not related to the property. Can the Landlord tell me how many times I can have guests at my property? Is it okay that he can hear everything what is happening in the house?
It is NOT ok for him to listen in to everything that you are doing and saying in the house. It really is time for you to find another place to live.

quincy

Here is a link to Florida’s audio-visual recording laws, published by the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (2019):

https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/florida/

You could consult with an attorney in your area to see if any legal action against your landlord is worth pursuing but my recommendation is for you to make as speedy an exit from this rental as any lease you have may allow.

This homeowner should not be a landlord. His demands are unrealistic and his recordings of you legally questionable.

darrenchaker

Florida, Tampa

darrenchaker

Greetings and happy 2024. From what I see online, it appears the guest would become a tenant. One article provides a state-by-state comparison: "Florida: Guests become tenants when they stay for over 14 days within six months, or seven nights in a row"; another site states "There are no specific regulations that determine when a guest becomes a tenant in Florida. The determination is based on several factors, including the length of stay, personal belongings, and mailing address at the property."

Given the fact this seems like an informal arrangement, if you can afford your own place, do so. It is better than having hostilities under your roof. Best to you, Darren Chaker

quincy

Greetings and happy 2024. From what I see online, it appears the guest would become a tenant. One [edit] provides a state-by-state comparison: "Florida: Guests become tenants when they stay for over 14 days within six months, or seven nights in a row"; another [edit] states "There are no specific regulations that determine when a guest becomes a tenant in Florida. The determination is based on several factors, including the length of stay, personal belongings, and mailing address at the property."

Given the fact this seems like an informal arrangement, if you can afford your own place, do so. It is better than having hostilities under your roof. Best to you, Darren Chaker
Commercial links are not permitted on this forum, darren. You might want to change your “signature.” Please read the terms of use, outlined on the bottom of this and every page. Thanks.

Last edited:

darrenchaker

Ahh, understood. The URL is simply a personal website. There is no advertising or option to purchase anything on it, thus would not be commercial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">