• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Middle School Teacher blabs private info...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silley

GEEZZZZZZ There's one on every board. Ohiogirl: ethical: The philosophy or a system or morals!
I don't know what book you live by, but in mine gossip is "un-ethical" by a teacher or anyone else for that matter!

Sorry to get you going!

P.S. I don't have an "Ex". Happily married for 20 years;)

The Occultist

GEEZZZZZZ There's one on every board. Ohiogirl: ethical: The philosophy or a system or morals!
I don't know what book you live by, but in mine gossip is "un-ethical" by a teacher or anyone else for that matter!

Sorry to get you going!

P.S. I don't have an "Ex". Happily married for 20 years;)
Here's something people don't realize about morals: all morals are are personal opinions. Not related, but here's an example: some people find it immoral to have an abortion, while others do not.

Perky

Despite all the other posts, I still suggest you that you speak to the principal. I still say this is a school issue, especially since the information was given during a school related phone call.

Public school teachers are unionized, but many districts have handbooks that outline their expectations for professional conduct. My district's handbook provides for a fairly wide interpretation of their expectations. That is not uncommon. The union may file a grievance regarding the action, but teacher contracts usually don't protect teachers from lapses in judgment.

The bottom line in education is the child's best interests. If the teacher felt he needed to warn the other parent about her son's friend, then he could have done so without revealing both the child's name and the nature of the incident. If not, he had no reason to discuss it with another parent, and was out of line. I like to believe that every teacher is sensitive to the needs of his or her students, and will refrain from discussing those students' problems in such a way that the children's identities may be revealed. Otherwise, the teacher is not acting in the child's best interests.

Just Blue

Here's something people don't realize about morals: all morals are are personal opinions. Not related, but here's an example: some people find it immoral to have an abortion, while others do not.
Here's another example, this one related : MOST people find it immoral to steal from others.;)

silley

bay, my son is still a kid learning the ways of the world. He knows it was immoral to steal and has learned from his terrible lack of judgement. However, the teacher is a grown adult and should have the wisdom to to know better!

Just Blue

bay, my son is still a kid learning the ways of the world. He knows it was immoral to steal and has learned from his terrible lack of judgement. However, the teacher is a grown adult and should have the wisdom to to know better!
You're right! He is still learning the "ways of the world". This situation is a good learning experience for him... People will talk negative about you if you are a thief.

But the biggest lesson he is learning is despite HIS deplorable lack of judgment and honor, Mommy will reek havoc with a teacher for having the audacity to discuss his transgressions. She will do this without knowing the facts of what was said and the context of the conversation. She will do this based on what her thief of a son told her...'cause, you know, he has proven himself so trustworthy that she doesn't have to verify what was said. I'm sure the State of Utah and their Correctional Institutions will send you a personal letter of thanks in another 5 or 10 years. Good job Mom!!

silley

Ohio & Baystate, You seem to have a very raw nerve struck here to bother posting such rude comments! The boards don't need people of your "sorts" advice, so please move along to the www.grumpass.com board!:mad:

CdwJava

I think the underlying point is that you are not going to be able to shield your child from the wagging tongues of others concerning his actions. People can - and will - talk, and it is almost certain that most of his peers already know about his situation.

Certainly, you can complain to the school about the teacher speaking "out of school", so to speak, but it is doubtful it will result in anything more than an admonishment from the administration - if that. Hopefully, that is all that you expect.

Teachers are people, and people talk. Whether she should have said anything or not is a matter of individual opinion, but there is almost certainly no legal requirement for her to have stayed her tongue.

I hope your child has learned his lesson. But, consider that part of this "lesson" can be the humiliation that comes from the act. Shielding someone from shame and embarrassment serves no purpose except to, perhaps, encourage further such acts. The message from home, and from the authorities, needs to be consistent. That message needs to be that theft is wrong - even more wrong that a teacher passing the embarrassing news on to someone they perhaps should not have.

Ultimately, our children will learn from us. I choose to hold my children's feet to the fire. I hope that you have done the same.

- Carl

Just Blue

Ohio & Baystate, You seem to have a very raw nerve struck here to bother posting such rude comments! The boards don't need people of your "sorts" advice, so please move along to the www.grumpass.com board!:mad:
You're right Silly...This topic DOES "strike a nerve" with me. I for one am sick to death of "parents" protecting their children form the consequences of their criminal actions. There are the same "children" that later in life become a burden to the state and to the TAXPAYERS that have to support their a&& while they are incarcerated. Many criminals may NOT be in prison if their parents card enough to teach them right from wrong and allowed them to suffer the consequences of their actions. In this case, the embarrassment of public exposure for stealing.

Silly...This country doesn't need people of your "sort" breeding. Please go to www.getfixedquick.com .

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have a raw nerve struck here? I posted no rude comments. You on the other hand are showing your ignorance. When you have the background I do, we will talk. Until then, sit back, shut up, and learn. Okay? Oh and just to be nice, have a g'day!:rolleyes:

silley

Carl,
I do agree with you totally and have went over that with my son when he told me what the teacher said. It's all part of the bad choice he made. He was grounded for a very long time & cried allot. I was glade to see so much remorse for what he had done and not the "oh no, I got caught" attitude. He's very friendly & social and has great friends who I heard him talk to about this and I'm sure he won't make the mistake again.
It seems you have a great talent for communicating your point with people in a very tactful way without attack. Much appreciated. I also really admire your quote at the bottom of your post. Have a great day.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">