• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Once you turn 18, do all the charges against you, that you recieved as a minor drop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

I am basing my advice off pure FACT and of LAW. The juvenile courts can upon request SEAL a juvenile record. In some cases they even take it upon themselves to just do it!!!
This I know as FACT. I did say to see his own states juvenile courts since he did not say where he is from.:rolleyes:

The ONLY thing I was basing from Law and Order shows was in more severe crimes they WILL TRY to try it as an adult and his atty. or P.D. can try to have it heard in Juvenile Court...This is ALSO FACT!!! Although I have seen it on law and order...I know this to be fact as well.

Until you PROVE me wrong...bite me!
Prove you are right...provide state statutes..:

I can only go by my show Law & Order

give me his state first and I will! lol

One more time. The only thing I referred to and SAID SO from Law and Order was if he may be tried as an adult! Can't you read?

Still...what are you giving him advice about vs. hijacking his thread against me "again" as you always do? Go on...answer this?:D

Nicholas N

everybody chill out stop fighting
im only 17 i will not get tried as an adult
they are only misdemeanors i am definitely pleading guilty
i got pulled over and i had two other people in the car
one more than im allowed to my friend n the backseat tried to hide his cigs under the chair
then the cop saw them n asked whose it was my buddy said it was his n then they pulled us out n asked if they cud search the car n i said no. then another officer came n said that he had probable cause to search the vehicle because of the cigs and the girl in the passenger seat next to me was on probation they said theres probable cause.. and i should just be honest n by this point people r watching from the side of the street n i said alright i have a bowl in there and a fake id. then he was like alright call of the k9's so basically i was tricked n i feel stupid
then they searched found it... then they checked me n all my friends then had my rents pick me up .. he told my rents i had rolling paper which i didn't have in the trunk n he also said i had empty beer can which i didnt have in the trunk either but i dont know wut im gettin charged with so ya im just gonna lay low n not do anything stupid now i jus wanted to kno what i'm up against

Nicholas N

You haven't even been to court yet , and you are worried about if you're convicted , will it be on your record ?

You'd better think about your defense first , and how to keep from going to jail .
im not going to jail and im pleading guilty its not that big of an offense i dont think

BL

everybody chill out stop fighting
im only 17 i will not get tried as an adult
they are only misdemeanors i am definitely pleading guilty
i got pulled over and i had two other people in the car
one more than im allowed to my friend n the backseat tried to hide his cigs under the chair
then the cop saw them n asked whose it was my buddy said it was his n then they pulled us out n asked if they cud search the car n i said no. then another officer came n said that he had probable cause to search the vehicle because of the cigs and the girl in the passenger seat next to me was on probation they said theres probable cause.. and i should just be honest n by this point people r watching from the side of the street n i said alright i have a bowl in there and a fake id. then he was like alright call of the k9's so basically i was tricked n i feel stupid
then they searched found it... then they checked me n all my friends then had my rents pick me up .. he told my rents i had rolling paper which i didn't have in the trunk n he also said i had empty beer can which i didnt have in the trunk either but i dont know wut im gettin charged with so ya im just gonna lay low n not do anything stupid now i jus wanted to kno what i'm up against
I hope you don't talk like that in court .

Had your rents pick you up ?

Whatever floats your boat , just stay out of trouble , or you'll be renting a jail cell .

Oh , dress appropriately in court .

Senior Judge has a how to . Search for it on the site .

Nicholas N

haha ya i dont talk like this i type like this cuz i guess im lazy and i get it from AIM
n dont worry i kno not to show up n jeans and a t shirt thanks for the advice tho
rents... sorry bout that hteres my lazyness
My parents picked me up.

haha ya i dont talk like this i type like this cuz i guess im lazy and i get it from AIM
n dont worry i kno not to show up n jeans and a t shirt thanks for the advice tho
rents... sorry bout that hteres my lazyness
My parents picked me up.
Yes...I understand the typing. (what is an AIM?) You all (young adults) seem to type "text" style these days and carry it into the new work places etc...Depending on WHERE you want to work in life...office vs. factory...is all in how you conduct and PRESENT yourself.:) You are carrying it into your new ADULT life. So be a little more sophysticated in how you present yourself o.k.? :) You are in college, you are worried about this and rightfully so. (Don't play it down as you are now doing, go back to your original post attitude.) Your TRUE concern is a very good sign to show the judge. Do mention your concerns for your new adult life and the effect it will have on your future. He/She will appreciate this. Be respectful and do NOT plea guilty with the attitude: I am guilty but NO BIG DEAL? Do you understand? :eek:
I did check a couple of states (since I did not know where you were) for you regarding sealing/expunging any prior juvenile record. Most say that you must not be CURRENTLY in trouble, you are. Most say 5 yrs. from the time you have had run ins with the law, You have. This does NOT mean however that prospective employers all have access to the records. They don't. Virginia state IS concerned for the growing juvenile cases and their severity thus are inclined not to seal for you for awhile. You do NEED a public defender/or an atty. to represent you because I am un certain of your attitude. I do commend you for admitting your guilty but on the other hand you say "it's no big deal" and it IS. You are concerned for your future and THIS is your focus from here on out. People can admit to guilt but getting counsel and being defended does NOT mean to only those NOT pleading guilty, but also to defend HOW you are convicted, what charges and it's severity.

Yes...a shirt, and a tie, polished shoes...sport jacket or suit...even if you have to borrow these things. DO IT. Show your concern and your remorse.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not a lawyer either. But I know employment law as well or better than most lawyers (and I can point you at several lawyers who will agree with me) and I have seen things on Law and Order that I know for an absolute fact (and can provide the state statutes proving me right) are WRONG.

Sometimes they write the stories for a good story, not to reflect the law as it actually exists. Just because you see it on television doesn't mean that's the way it works in the real world.

fairisfair

Yes...I understand the typing. (what is an AIM?) You all (young adults) seem to type "text" style these days and carry it into the new work places etc...Depending on WHERE you want to work in life...office vs. factory...is all in how you conduct and PRESENT yourself.:) You are carrying it into your new ADULT life. So be a little more sophysticated in how you present yourself o.k.? :) You are in college, you are worried about this and rightfully so. (Don't play it down as you are now doing, go back to your original post attitude.) Your TRUE concern is a very good sign to show the judge. Do mention your concerns for your new adult life and the effect it will have on your future. He/She will appreciate this. Be respectful and do NOT plea guilty with the attitude: I am guilty but NO BIG DEAL? Do you understand? :eek:
I did check a couple of states (since I did not know where you were) for you regarding sealing/expunging any prior juvenile record. Most say that you must not be CURRENTLY in trouble, you are. Most say 5 yrs. from the time you have had run ins with the law, You have. This does NOT mean however that prospective employers all have access to the records. They don't. Virginia state IS concerned for the growing juvenile cases and their severity thus are inclined not to seal for you for awhile. You do NEED a public defender/or an atty. to represent you because I am un certain of your attitude. I do commend you for admitting your guilty but on the other hand you say "it's no big deal" and it IS. You are concerned for your future and THIS is your focus from here on out. People can admit to guilt but getting counsel and being defended does NOT mean to only those NOT pleading guilty, but also to defend HOW you are convicted, what charges and it's severity.

Yes...a shirt, and a tie, polished shoes...sport jacket or suit...even if you have to borrow these things. DO IT. Show your concern and your remorse.

Good luck.
some how the word loses it's entire meaning when written like that. . . . . . . :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

fairisfair

Virginia law did call for the automatic, annual expungement of all court records for juveniles who are age 19, provided they met certain requirements. Virginia amended its expungement statute in 1996 to preclude the automatic expungement, upon motion, of delinquent acts that would have been felonies if committed by an adult. Virginia now requires that such records be retained indefinitely by the court. (Virginia Code Ann. § 16.1–306)

Grandmashouse needs to find a new location. She failed AGAIN to provide statute to back her statement. or details. . . or anything else. Oh except TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

fairisfair

I'm not a lawyer either. But I know employment law as well or better than most lawyers (and I can point you at several lawyers who will agree with me) and I have seen things on Law and Order that I know for an absolute fact (and can provide the state statutes proving me right) are WRONG.

Sometimes they write the stories for a good story, not to reflect the law as it actually exists. Just because you see it on television doesn't mean that's the way it works in the real world.
Oh yeah!!???? and I suppose you think Homer Simpson isn't a real person either??:D

Virginia amended its expungement statute in 1996 to preclude the automatic expungement, upon motion, of delinquent acts "THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FELONIES IF COMMITTED BY AN ADULT" (Virginia Code Ann. § 16.1–306)
NOW WHICH OF THESE crimes did he commit that would have been felonies if he were an adult?

you took the time to find a statute...however cannot COMPREHEND what it even said!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Grandma, fairisfair has forgotten more about laws than you'll ever begin to know, so why don't you just zip it. And it would appear that fairisfair and I have interpreted the statute about expungement slightly differently, so don't be so sure I'm the one that's rigtht.

At least she advised Nicholas based on what she knows, and not on what's playing on NBC.

And you know what? I don't even know why you're throwing my post in her face as if it contradicts her. We essentially said the same thing. I'm certainly not going to allow a post of mine to be used to launch that kind of childish cattiness, so I'm just going to delete it. Fair said it more concisely, anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">