• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badbul

Hello, I'm in New Jersey and the online store is in Illinois. I purchased an item for $23.99. They shipped the item and I have received it already. I know this item is priced wrong as the item is $218 and would never go on sale.

Question, if I ordered a few more, and they ship them to me, could they do anything after the fact?

quincy

Hello, I'm in New Jersey and the online store is in Illinois. I purchased an item for $23.99. They shipped the item and I have received it already. I know this item is priced wrong as the item is $218 and would never go on sale.

Question, if I ordered a few more, and they ship them to me, could they do anything after the fact?
Why would you want to order more instead of informing the store that the item’s pricing is wrong?

adjusterjack

If the page still says 23.99, go for it. Make sure you talk a screen shot of the page and your order just in case.

What's the item and seller? Maybe I'll get one. :giggle:

quincy

A conundrum. Do you do what is morally right or do you do what you can get away with legally? :unsure:

I hope the online store in Illinois can easily absorb the loss or the store discovers their pricing error before too many items are shipped at the incorrect price.

LdiJ

A conundrum. Do you do what is morally right or do you do what you can get away with legally? :unsure:

I hope the online store in Illinois can easily absorb the loss or the store discovers their pricing error before too many items are shipped at the incorrect price.
Well, despite OP's assertion that the product would never go on sale, one cannot assume that the product wasn't priced that way on purpose. I am going to guess that the seller has already discovered the error if there was one and that the OP won't actually receive any additional orders. If the OP can still buy the product, then it probably wasn't an error. Companies with temporary cash flow shortages or spacing problems will sell things at surprising prices just to move them.

Q, I find it difficult to believe that if you find a great price on a product that you want to buy, that you would actually tell the seller that they might have made a mistake in pricing rather than just snatching up the product.

Badbul, you cannot get in trouble for buying a product at a price that the seller offers. The seller can refuse to fulfill the order, but you can't get in trouble.

Bali Hai Again

Illinois via some other country in the background? I smell a scam.

quincy

... Q, I find it difficult to believe that if you find a great price on a product that you want to buy, that you would actually tell the seller that they might have made a mistake in pricing rather than just snatching up the product.
I have children who learn from me how to treat others. I don’t think you should take advantage of the honest mistakes of others even when it could be easy to do so. I find it difficult to believe that you find that difficult to believe.

I know stores honor published prices (both in-store and online) if the pricing error is not one that is clearly an honest mistake (e.g., a $1000 tv marked at $10.00).

Bali Hai alluded to the possibility that the low price could indicate the item is a counterfeit. If that’s the case, one thing a buyer can do is alert the trademark holder, who will investigate the sales.

LdiJ

I have children who learn from me how to treat others. I don’t think you should take advantage of the honest mistakes of others even when it could be easy to do so. I find it difficult to believe that you find that difficult to believe.
The point I was making is that excellent prices get offered all of the time online. The vast majority of the time they are not mistakes. They are just an excellent price being offered because someone is overstocked, has a cash flow issue or whatever. I see it all the time on Amazon. I regularly snatch up things I regularly buy when the prices go extra low like that.

I know stores honor published prices (both in-store and online) if the pricing error is not one that is clearly an honest mistake (e.g., a $1000 tv marked at $10.00).
Even the ones that are clearly honest mistakes get honored sometimes. However, they generally fix it really quick when that happens. Therefore, if the price is still showing there is a better than decent chance that it wasn't an honest mistake.

Bali Hai alluded to the possibility that the low price could indicate the item is a counterfeit. If that’s the case, one thing a buyer can do is alert the trademark holder, who will investigate the sales.
Yes, It is certainly possible that it was a fake. It is also possible that it wasn't. We don't know either way.[/quote]

Bali Hai Again

I’ve been burned a few times in the past with online sales. I’ve always got my money back after filing a complaint. The “company“ disappeared after. I’m betting they reappeared at some point with no repercussions.

If the price is too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true. Buyer Beware!

quincy

I’ve been burned a few times in the past with online sales. I’ve always got my money back after filing a complaint. The “company“ disappeared after. I’m betting they reappeared at some point with no repercussions.

If the price is too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true. Buyer Beware!
Someone selling counterfeit goods typically disappears before refunding money rather than after. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">