• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

While others argue over speculative facts....

if I ordered a few more, and they ship them to me, could they do anything after the fact?
This question is beyond broad. Yes, "they" could do any number of things. I suspect that, what you meant to ask is this: If I buy more of this item, and if the seller later determines the sale price was too low as a result of a mistake made by the seller, could I be legally made to pay a higher price. The answer to that question is no. Beyond that, without more detail, it's impossible to say much more, except that, if you find a great deal and want to take advantage of it, I can't conceive why you wouldn't do so. It's not your place to tell the seller how to conduct its business.

badbul

Instead of replying to every post, I'll just do one post, here. Anyone that has replayed to my post, Thank You. LdiJ and Zddooday, you both have been a great help...

1. What I had ordered was a tool made from Milwaukee Tool. The tool I ordered is in my hand, I have already received it, so no it isn't a scam. They shipped the tool that weighs thirteen and a half pounds overnight. I can guarantee that what I paid for the tool, didn't even cover the express overnight shipping. Express overnight shipping from IL to NJ is probably way more than $50 in itself.

2. The price was a genuine human error, or a glitch on the websites part.

3. People may say it's morally wrong to buy it rather than notify the website of an error. At the time, I was 99.9% sure it was a glitch, but said "what the hell" and ordered one to see what would happen. I really thought that they would have caught the error before even charging my credit card.

4. This is a legit website that is well known. The website employs over 750 employees just in their Dotcom department, not including their brick-and-mortar stores. I'm not sure how many items this website had sold and shipped before they realized their mistake. I don't believe that this loss would effect a company this large like it would do to a mom-and-pop shop.

5. This website is an authorized retailer of Milwaukee tools... This isn't a knockoff, it's a 100% genuine Milwaukee tool.

6. I just went back on the website and they have corrected the price error. The tool went from $22.99 and is now available for $229.99... Looks like someone forgot to input a 2 in the allotted spot.

I know for a fact that this website cannot recharge my credit card for the correct price without my consent. What I wasn't to sure about was, could the website civilly do anything about the price difference. I've come to find out that they listed an item for sale and I agreed to that sale for paying for the item. We have both completed our part in this transaction, me for paying for the item, and them for shipping the item. Even if they could legally do something about their loss, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth their time.

Again, thanks for the reply's...

Last edited:

quincy

Instead of replying to every post, I'll just do one post, here. Anyone that has replayed to my post, Thank You. LdiJ, You have been a great help...

1. What I had ordered was a tool made from Milwaukee Tool. The tool I ordered is in my hand, I have already received it, so no it isn't a scam. They shipped the tool that weighs thirteen and a half pounds overnight. I can guarantee that what I paid for the tool, didn't even cover the express overnight shipping. Express overnight shipping from IL to NJ is probably way more than $50 in itself.

2. The price was a genuine human error, or a glitch on the websites part.

3. People may say it's morally wrong to buy it rather than notify the website of an error. At the time, I was 99.9% sure it was a glitch, but said "what the hell" and ordered one to see what would happen. I really thought that they would have caught the error before even charging my credit card.

4. This is a legit website that is well known. The website employs over 750 employees just in their Dotcom department, not including their brick-and-mortar stores. I'm not sure how many items this website had sold and shipped before they realized their mistake. I don't believe that this loss would effect a company this large like it would do to a mom and pop shop.

5. This website is an authorized retailer of Milwaukee tools... This isn't a knockoff, it's a 100% genuine Milwaukee tool.

6. I just went back on the website and they have corrected the price error. The tool went from $22.99 and is now available for $229.99... Looks like someone forgot to input a 2 in the allotted spot.

I know for a fact that this website cannot recharge my credit card for the correct price without my consent. What I wasn't to sure about was, could the website civilly do anything about the price difference. I've come to find out that they listed an item for sale and I agreed to that sale for paying for the item. We have both completed our part in this transaction, me for paying for the item, and them for shipping the item. Even if they could legally do something about their loss, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth their time.

Again, thanks for the reply's...
Thank you for filling in the blanks - and I am happy to hear that the company discovered their error and corrected it. They probably noticed the error when there was suddenly a flurry of orders coming in for that particular tool. :)

You are right that a company (generally) cannot recover their losses from the purchaser after the sale has been completed (although they potentially could have a legal action to pursue against the one who published the wrong price). A company can only refuse to sell an item if they catch a pricing error before the sale. That said, many/most companies will honor (at least once) a sale at the mistaken published price unless the mistaken price is way out of whack with the intended price.

Enjoy your bargain. You saved a lot of money.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">