• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Put on "Suspected Hit and Run vehicle file" ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lomotil

GET PROFESSIONAL HELP!!! SOON!!!
YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING A CAR! Don't you think rules apply to you?
Your 'free advice' is much appreciated. Why don't you take your judgmental drivel over to the "free insults from egotistical, narcissistic, conceited know-it-alls" forum where it belongs?

ecmst12 said:
But you thought that the rules didn't apply to you, just because you thought it wasn't your fault, and now there's a warrent out for your arrest. When you get arrested, maybe THEN you'll learn the rules.
It's funny, really... Seeing as how I was well aware of the rules when the accident occurred, I think I acted appropriately. Your first post to this thread was appreciated, but any contribution you made to the thread afterwards was full of hate and sheer bitterness. I posted an honest question to a forum that I wasn't familiar with, and every post you made afterwards was a sheer bashing. The whole "...maybe then you'll learn the rules" and "acting stupid" bits were just icing on the cake. Congrats on your resentment. I'm sure you'll be well rewarded with that kind of attitude and disposition in life.

Isn't anyone here concerned that there are individuals masquerading as police officers, trying to illegally obtain personal information? What if your grandmother was sent one of these bogus letters and replied promptly with their insurance information and other personal details? I would go into more detail on the possible repercussions of such a scenario, but I feel it'd be wasted with most of the intellect displayed here... (My basis of comparison is solely my thread alone - with some exceptions, I haven't seen enough intelligence or logic to even consider browsing other threads.)

Really? I thought you were the one worried about the repercussions of involving yourself in disputes with vengeful teenagers?

But you now have a surprise for them?
You misunderstood my sentence. The surprise is for the individual(s?) masquerading as members of the police force. See, that's an actual crime.

If you were taking great care to look, why didn't you see the other vehicle? If you only "felt" and Heard" the collision, where were you looking at the time?
You've questioned the most obvious point of the incident - at the time of my backing up, there were no vehicles in my path. If you would take the time to read my follow-up posts to this thread, you would learn that I wasn't even in motion when this kid struck my vehicle.

No, convex mirrors greatly distort and shrink the view and are almost impossible to properly gage distance between objects. The intended purpose of those convex mirrors is not for backing up purposes, but to see what's alongside your vehicle, in what is usually a blind spot.
Did you turn around and look behind you while backing up or did you just use the little convex mirrors?
I am well aware of the optic qualities of the convex mirrors I installed on my vehicle. As I stated before, they serve well to inform me of any lights behind me. Now, I shouldn't have to spell this out to you, but I'm going to. If someone's backing up, their car is going to emit an incandescent white glow from the rear of their vehicle. This is what we refer to as "back up lights." The mirrors serve as a reminder of *what* is behind and around you, not a representation of their spatial position.

I'm sorry to have to boil this down to you in such preschooler terms, but you've left me no other option. Now, break out your Hot Wheels collection or your Lego cars, because this next bit gets complicated and you obviously need the visual stimulation to get your spatial gears turning...

Here we go... Car "A" (the little red one) is backing out of a parking stall at a 45 degree angle, one stall behind Car "B." - Car "A" comes to a complete stop while Car "B" grazes the bumper of Car "A" while the driver is coming out of his parking space. If you want, I can draw you a picture.

Also, you claim the first words out of this teens mouth were :
I didn't claim that at all - maybe you should re-read the thread... He only said this after we'd conversed and I realized that the damage done to my vehicle wasn't sufficient to warrant claim.

You actually believe these kids could organize this conspiracy to wrongfully accuse you so quickly?
No, but I will believe that a car full of teenagers could easily 'jump on the bandwagon' with an idea (or belief) that they're presented with. Not to mention the fact that I was driving alone, and a car full of people could convincingly persuade a police officer to write in the report an account of all the 'so-called witnesses'... You people joke, but honestly, had this matter ever proceeded to trial, the menagerie of kids would have had plenty of time to devise a story and make it sound like I was at fault. And there you have it, multiple "witnesses" to a false story because someone isn't man enough to admit fault.

If you people knew me, you'd know that I am man enough to admit fault. I was involved in a fender bender *in a parking lot* a year or so ago, and as easy as it would've been to just drive off, I did the right thing, and exchanged information with the person. The accident was my fault, and I was more than happy to do the right thing. I'm not looking for a snooty 'pat on the back' from any of you hatemongers, but I do think it should add to the credibility of my claim. I ended up paying her bill out-of-pocket, as it was cheaper than going through the insurance, but the point is, I owned up to my own F-up. This is not the same scenario.

Furthermore, when you make the following statement:

I get the impression that you weren't taking great care to look behind you that night, because you had other things on your mind, or as you put it, "urgent" matters to attend to.

It is when were preoccupied with something of great concern that we are easily distracted or not paying full attention. Hence, from what you've posted, I say there is a good chance that you were at fault even though you have convinced yourself that you were not!

It happens!!!!!!!!
Well, I thank you for your opinion. Truth is, I had something on my mind. This does not, however, distract me from my knee-jerk, instant programmed protocol for backing up. It's not rocket science - If my gear is in reverse, my body is turned to look behind me. It's second nature. I thank you for outlining the possibility of my mistake, but I assure you that this is not the case.

Honestly, I never expected such a sheer judgmental group of replies from a forum that touts itself as the "free advice forum." You people took my question regarding the facts and twisted it into every form of indictment imaginable, and have the gall to criticize me for my actions on top of it.

Pathetic.

Lomotil

You stated that the police identified you as a hit and run suspect.
I did? Maybe you should re-read my post. I stated nothing of the sort. The fact of the matter is that someone hired a person or company to masquerade as a member of the police department in an attempt to gain my personal information.

We took you at your word and assumed you were not either mistaken or lying to the board. To the extent that anything you got back was incorrect, it was pretty much your fault for giving bad information, you cant blame an answer on bad information when YOU were the one who apparently didnt know what he was talking about.
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. This "bad information" bit eludes me, and the whole thing about me mentioning the police comes strictly from your own imagination. Try posting when you're a bit more sober, eh?

Anyway, the primary advice you received was that your actions following the accident were extremely foolish, and that is still correct even if you get away with it.
Wow! A coherent statement that is actually relevant! Call the press!

Thanks. I'm comforted to know that "I may get away with" not being falsely accused of being at fault in a parking lot fender-bender. I can now sleep tonight. What a relief. :rolleyes:

outonbail

It's funny how it took you three or so posts before you threw in the claim that you were not moving when you heard the bang. You never inferred that you had stopped moving in your original post
A while back, I was backing out of a parking space at a retail store, and someone else on the opposite side backed out and struck my vehicle.
The key word here being "backing", not I had backed out, but I was backing out. Does this not imply you were in motion? So you were in motion, at least before you did the back peddling in a subsequent post to put yourself on higher ground.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you. I wasn't there for one and I think you're full of it for two.

However, I was wondering something about this letter you're claiming is phony.
Just how exactly, do you believe these teenagers would have gotten your name and address, if you didn't provide it to them?

My guess would be from the police or their insurance company. However, I don't believe that the police or the insurance company would have provide these teens with your name and address. Which tells me that this letter may very well be from either the police, the other drivers insurance company, or, the department of motor vehicles. So, whichever the case may be, I wouldn't be blowing it off like it's some prank, that's being played out to gain your personal information

JustAPal00

It's plain and simple, you are one of those people who think the laws apply to other people but not you. You are far too busy and your time is too important to bother with those little things like traffic laws. Look up the definition of "Narcissism", I bet it fits you too a tee! You also aren't the sharpest crayon in the box! As OOB pointed out, they mailed you the letter! You asked for advice on how to get the police to go away and leave you alone without you cooperating with them. We all told you they wouldn’t! Do us all a favor and ignore the notice they sent you. When they arrest you, protest and tell them they can't do it because it was the other driver’s fault. Maybe even resist a little. Then when you get out, write us back and tell us about your experience in the penal system!

ecmst12

Insurance information is not "personal information". It is PUBLIC information, in that it is available to the police and DOT. And you are REQUIRED to provide it to anyone you are involved in an accident with, whether it was your fault or not. That is the rule you have chosen to ignore. That you have acted stupidly is a fact. I wouldn't want to even try to count the number of mistakes you've made in dealing with this whole thing. I'm not insulting you, I'm not calling you a stupid PERSON, I'm saying you've done stupid THINGS, which even the most intelligent person is guilty of from time to time. I told you what to do to rectify the situation, and you chose to ignore THAT, too. So what would you call it?

Lomotil

It's funny how it took you three or so posts before you threw in the claim that you were not moving when you heard the bang. You never inferred that you had stopped moving in your original post ... The key word here being "backing", not I had backed out, but I was backing out. Does this not imply you were in motion? So you were in motion, at least before you did the back peddling in a subsequent post to put yourself on higher ground.
I thought the inference here was that someone backed into me, rather than stating that "we had a collision." The "key word" I used when describing the incident was "I was backing up." I suppose since I was trying to imply a 'past' form of the verb, I should've been more clear in that aspect. Maybe that detail wasn't clear enough. Sorry for any confusion.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you. I wasn't there for one and I think you're full of it for two.
You're entitled to your opinion, and I cannot fault you for that.

However, I was wondering something about this letter you're claiming is phony.
Just how exactly, do you believe these teenagers would have gotten your name and address, if you didn't provide it to them?

My guess would be from the police or their insurance company. However, I don't believe that the police or the insurance company would have provide these teens with your name and address. Which tells me that this letter may very well be from either the police, the other drivers insurance company, or, the department of motor vehicles. So, whichever the case may be, I wouldn't be blowing it off like it's some prank, that's being played out to gain your personal information
Here's a useful link for you - try the first hit on the google search engine for license plate lookups. I wouldn't endorse the site, as there are other ways to find out personal details on any registered license plate, (etc.) online, and honestly - I'm surprised that nobody here has deduced the manner in which the person (or persons) hired by this individual happened across any contact information for me. In all honesty, they didn't even manage to contact me personally, rather, this 'notice' was sent to the last person that owned the vehicle...

I'm not even going to go into detail on any of the other reasons that led me to suspect that this letter was bogus.

It's plain and simple, you are one of those people who think the laws apply to other people but not you. You are far too busy and your time is too important to bother with those little things like traffic laws. Look up the definition of "Narcissism", I bet it fits you too a tee! You also aren't the sharpest crayon in the box! As OOB pointed out, they mailed you the letter! You asked for advice on how to get the police to go away and leave you alone without you cooperating with them. We all told you they wouldn’t! Do us all a favor and ignore the notice they sent you. When they arrest you, protest and tell them they can't do it because it was the other driver’s fault. Maybe even resist a little. Then when you get out, write us back and tell us about your experience in the penal system!
I'm not even going to justify your original accusation with an answer.

I never mentioned the police. They never sent me a letter. If you'd actually read the whole thread, you'd realize that someone was masquerading as the police department. Go back and study my posts - or don't. Walk in front of a moving bus. I could care less.

Insurance information is not "personal information". It is PUBLIC information, in that it is available to the police and DOT. And you are REQUIRED to provide it to anyone you are involved in an accident with, whether it was your fault or not. That is the rule you have chosen to ignore. That you have acted stupidly is a fact. I wouldn't want to even try to count the number of mistakes you've made in dealing with this whole thing. I'm not insulting you, I'm not calling you a stupid PERSON, I'm saying you've done stupid THINGS, which even the most intelligent person is guilty of from time to time. I told you what to do to rectify the situation, and you chose to ignore THAT, too. So what would you call it?
I would call it "covering my ass from any potential future repercussions that might arise from a car full of teenagers willing and able to falsely testify against me." Nothing more.

Feel free to judge me as you will (I've come to expect it from this place) - but for anyone in the future looking for advice in a similar situation should happen to stumble upon this thread in an archive somewhere - do your research and either ignore the masquerading letters, or take action into your own hands. That is all.

JustAPal00

Here's a great idea!! Call the police and report the kids that are masquerading as them, also keep an eye out for the guys in white suits!

ecmst12

I would call it "covering my ass from any potential future repercussions that might arise from a car full of teenagers willing and able to falsely testify against me." Nothing more.
And you have absolutely and COMPLETELY failed to do that. What you would need to do to cover said ass would be REPORT IT TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Their JOB is to cover your sorry ass.

JustAPal00

I never mentioned the police. They never sent me a letter. If you'd actually read the whole thread, you'd realize that someone was masquerading as the police department.
I think you're the one that needs to read the thread! Here is your original question!
What it all boils down to is that I want my license plate taken off of whatever list of 'suspected crimes' it's associated with, and I wish to retain my anonymity in the process.

Advice, please?
Now who else besides the "Police" keeps such a list? Do you think these kids have started such a list? Maybe it's all part of a big conspiracy to get you! Keep watching for the guys in white suits!

Lomotil

The point is that there is no such list. Bogus letter - hello? Even with what you quoted me as saying, the simple fact remains: I never mentioned the police!

The letter stated that I was being put on their list, and that my vehicle is subject to being stopped. Let's examine this statement, shall we?

• their list: Whomever sent the letter.
  • subject to being stopped: Guess what? Every vehicle on the road is "subject to being stopped" - go ahead, try it out! Speed past a school bus with their flashing red lights on in plain view of a cop! Just by being in your car, and on the road, you're - did you guess it? - BINGO! Subject to being stopped.

It's a cleverly devised scheme, and I bet whomever puts out these fake 'notices' really scare people into actually believing them.

Good day to you all...

outonbail

Yeah OK, you've made your point, we get it, you're one sharp cookie and it is obvious that someone would have to get up pretty early in the morning if they wanted to put one over on you.
U da man!

Now, if I don't read another post about your bogus letter for long as I live, I'd be one happy camper myself.

JustAPal00

Yeah OK, you've made your point, we get it, you're one sharp cookie and it is obvious that someone would have to get up pretty early in the morning if they wanted to put one over on you.
U da man!

Now, if I don't read another post about your bogus letter for long as I live, I'd be one happy camper myself.
LMFAO!!! Yep, probably have to get up by at least 10!

Lomotil

You only have yourself to blame if your mouse clicks on my thread.

Oh, and 'Justapal' - I would move that back a couple hours. Let's try noon... or later.

Lomotil

Y'kno, that was actually pretty funny. :D

Up until now, I was hoping we'd bump into each other outside the Wal-Mart sometime...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">