• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Skype

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

I am currently in a situation where Skype is being discussed by parties' attorneys. I do not have internet and do not wish to get the internet for various reasons.

Does anyone have experience with judges forcing the internet onto unwilling people?

justalayman

they can't really force you to get internet but this isn't about you getting the internet. It's about you having some sort of communication. If the court demands there be some form of communication, I am sure s/he would be open to alternatives you can suggest that would fulfill the purpose.

Isis1

if you are the non custodial parent who chooses not to participate in Skype visitation options, you can simply refuse to use that venue of communication with your child.

if you are the custodial parent, you can be ordered to allow your CHILD to be available for the Skype visitation. you don't have to be present. and failing to comply, may result in contempt.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

I am currently in a situation where Skype is being discussed by parties' attorneys. I do not have internet and do not wish to get the internet for various reasons.

Does anyone have experience with judges forcing the internet onto unwilling people?
What are they discussing?

If they're discussing using Skype for phone conversations, you don't need to have Internet access - one person can use Skype to call another number.

If they're using Skype for video calls, that can be done without Skype, too - but it's going to be way more expensive.

So, in order to give you an answer, you're going to have to be clearer about what is being ordered. In general, though, if the court wants to order that communication be via email or Skype or tin cans and strings, they can do so.

However, what's your reason for not wishing to have the Internet "for various reasons"? You do realize, I hope, that the Internet can be an extremely useful tool as long as you set it up and monitor it. Heck, my daughter's school frequently sends homework home with the kids that can't be completed without Internet access.

frylover

I don't know how old the child in question is but the time is likely to come when internet access is going to be nearly essential for school, unless mom/dad wants to make several trips a week to the local library! My middle schooler is required to turn in all her papers via the internet. Between her and my nine year old, I would say someone is on the computer for homework at least three times a week.

Last edited:

nextwife

The schools now use internet access for instant notices to parents of school stuff, homework status, program and bus changes, school delays and cancellations. The kids do all sorts of homework on the internet. I received an email from kiddo's math teacher yesterday, for example (8th grader) that they need to study for their Monday Algebra test using X online site and do practices online. They all have a school email address to drop their homework into, so they can work on long term projects either at home or study hall.

You do your child a serious disservice if you keep them offline.

WittyUserName

OP, I am not in your state. But the same issue came up during my hearing. At the time, I lived in a very rural area where even dial-up was expensive and problematic to use. Dad tried to push a "Mom must provide Internet" clause but was not successful. The judge asked what other methods of communication I would propose - so go in with some ideas.

mistoffolees

OP, I am not in your state. But the same issue came up during my hearing. At the time, I lived in a very rural area where even dial-up was expensive and problematic to use. Dad tried to push a "Mom must provide Internet" clause but was not successful. The judge asked what other methods of communication I would propose - so go in with some ideas.
The number of people who can't get broadband today is tiny - and shrinking fast. Even in remote areas, there's always satellite.

And that doesn't appear to be the case here. While it would be understandable to argue that "I can't get reliable Internet", OP is arguing that he simply doesn't WANT to get it - which is an entirely different matter.

WittyUserName

The number of people who can't get broadband today is tiny - and shrinking fast. Even in remote areas, there's always satellite.

And that doesn't appear to be the case here. While it would be understandable to argue that "I can't get reliable Internet", OP is arguing that he simply doesn't WANT to get it - which is an entirely different matter.
The judge is going to want communication. Not necessarily Internet. Again, OP's state may be different - but I myself could not find ample caselaw that supported the idea that judges commonly order parents to provide Internet. Internet is not a necessity, and for many people it could be too costly.

But there are a many ways to skin this cat, so to speak. OP could ask that Skype be scheduled so that they could go to a coffee shop with a laptop and Skype from there (something that we tried a few times). OP is obviously not completely anti-Internet or he/she wouldn't be here on the Forums. Leemon, I would encourage you to find alternatives if you are going to keep the No-Internet-At-Home stance.

AND- I just thought of this: why aren't you talking to your attorney about this?? The plural wording of the "parties' attorneys" line would seem to indicate that you have one. You really should be listening to the person you are paying to represent you.....

CourtClerk

I don't know how old the child in question is but the time is likely to come when internet access is going to be nearly essential for school, unless mom/dad wants to make several trips a week to the local library! My middle schooler is required to turn in all her papers via the internet. Between her and my nine year old, I would say someone is on the computer for homework at least three times a week.
This is what I am thinking... a few years ago, when mine was in middle school, not only did they have assignments that were done completely over the internet, there were math projects that HAD to be done on Powerpoint. Flash drives have been on the school supply list for at least 5 years.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This is what I am thinking... a few years ago, when mine was in middle school, not only did they have assignments that were done completely over the internet, there were math projects that HAD to be done on Powerpoint. Flash drives have been on the school supply list for at least 5 years.
Sadly, my daughter's school has banned flash drives... A few bad apples uploaded inappropriate material.

But much of what they do is via 'Net. ANd... it's a much more convenient way to find out what the assignments are if something's forgotten.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm surprised. No school, no mail, no bank here. AND... even though it's a holiday? I have the day off! (I work pretty much all holidays.) AND Tuesday, too! :D

CourtClerk

Sadly, my daughter's school has banned flash drives... A few bad apples uploaded inappropriate material.

But much of what they do is via 'Net. ANd... it's a much more convenient way to find out what the assignments are if something's forgotten.
Their assignments and grades are posted online along with teacher and counselor information, but flash drives are required to do school work and homework. They actually have to turn them into math once a week and history once a week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">