• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse Racial Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

It's not "simply" because I'm white. I guess you missed the part where I said that the entire City Administration is black. And that actually is the definition of reverse discrimination. I was just reading about it on a local lawyer's website. I'd be glad to send you the link if you'd like.
Yes, it is "selective enforcement" based on skin color. I've been looking for both for weeks now...
A question: Have you been in violation of the City codes several times in the last 12+ years?

“Thousands of dollars in violations” sounds like a lot of violations - or a failure on your part to correct the violations for which you’ve been cited. .

Do you happen to know who has been reporting you to Code Enforcement, or are Code Enforcement officers doing frequent drive-by’s?

The reason I ask is that a code enforcement officer is not necessarily arbitrarily or capriciously or selectively enforcing city codes, or discriminating against you, if you are being reported by, say, one of your neighbors for code violations and you are, in fact, in violation of the city code.

WhyMeAgain30

Taxing Matters

I completely understand and agree with you. You're not going to find the term "reverse discrimination" in the law books.
However, when we talk about "Civil Rights" it's mostly meant for discrimination against minorities. I doubt Al Sharpton or Benjamin Crump will take on my case but feel free to contact them Monday and if they say "yes" I'll call 'em right away.
And I've been looking for everything - code enforcement lawyer, civil rights, litigation, discrimination...you name it.
" I am a lawyer myself, and I believe that your perception that lots of lawyers specialize in reverse discrimination to be incorrect. Where I practice you won't find a lawyer advertising that it specializes in "reverse discrimination". In part because a lawyer who only takes cases by clients of one particular race is himself/herself also violating the laws that prohibit discrimination based on race."
well...please don't forget to mention that to Mr. Crump and Mr. Sharpton when you call them Monday. I could be wrong but I've only seen them represent one particular group so far.
And there are quite a few lawyers who specialize in RD. A quick google search will prove you incorrect:
there's this "not real", "non existing" reverse discrimination lawyer:
https://www.fedemploymentlaw.com/eeoc-equal-employment-opportunity-commission/reverse-discrimination/
I just found that local attorney too:
https://www.floridawagelaw.com/discrimination-can-occur-against-majority-groups/
plus many more...
I don't understand why some people would deny the obvious (unless they've lived under a rock for the last 4-5+ years)?
I have some ideas but I don't want to speculate...

WhyMeAgain30

Quincy

CE officers don't need to do drive-by's. Unfortunately I live right across the street from their office. They drive by every day just to get to their office.
My violation consists of cars on my property that no one can see because they're behind a 6 ft privacy fence. They use satellite images to see what's behind my fence. But my neighbor's 10+ cars visible from a mile away apparently are not a problem for the City. Neither is the neighbor's across the street landscaping or semi truck with a 53 ft trailer. No issues there for them.

My first violation was 12 yrs ago when 2 CE officers showed up at our house with 6 police cars/officers (no, I'm not exaggerating) to serve us the violation notice. Not by mail or taped to my door, as they're supposed to. It was for a commercial vehicle and cars on my property. My next door neighbor ended up getting the same violations the same day, only after one of the cops asked me to also move his flatbed tow truck and numerous cars. For whatever reason he thought they were mine. CE would've not even issued my neighbor a citation if it wasn't for that cop, as they knew very well that tow truck and cars weren't mine as they see my neighbor drive by in his tow truck every single day.
Anyways - me and my next door neighbor ended up getting the exact same violation at the same time/day. However CE never pursued the case against my neighbor. He never complied until he moved out 3+ years later. $0 in fines. But they did go after me and fined me.
I've asked a few different CE Ocers why they pursued the case against me and not my neighbor but I'm yet to receive a straight answer that makes sense.
It took me a while to comply but I did comply. I went through the amnesty program they offer to have my fines forgiven and paid a small administrative fee. Case closed. Or so I thought...
I recently received another violation letter from CE and after a quick search it turned out they never actually closed the previous case and I've been acquiring daily fines for the last 9+ years...
The new "violations" are ridiculous - my trees being taller than 5 ft.! If that's the case then 95% of the entire city would be in violation...
But wait, it gets better! I'm also in violation because my fence is too tall. I pulled permits and the City approved my fence. Now they're saying that I'm in violation for the exact same fence they already approved!?
It's just plain wrong! Call it whatever you wanna call it...

quincy

Quincy

CE officers don't need to do drive-by's. Unfortunately I live right across the street from their office. They drive by every day just to get to their office.
My violation consists of cars on my property that no one can see because they're behind a 6 ft privacy fence. They use satellite images to see what's behind my fence. But my neighbor's 10+ cars visible from a mile away apparently are not a problem for the City. Neither is the neighbor's across the street landscaping or semi truck with a 53 ft trailer. No issues there for them.

My first violation was 12 yrs ago when 2 CE officers showed up at our house with 6 police cars/officers (no, I'm not exaggerating) to serve us the violation notice. Not by mail or taped to my door, as they're supposed to. It was for a commercial vehicle and cars on my property. My next door neighbor ended up getting the same violations the same day, only after one of the cops asked me to also move his flatbed tow truck and numerous cars. For whatever reason he thought they were mine. CE would've not even issued my neighbor a citation if it wasn't for that cop, as they knew very well that tow truck and cars weren't mine as they see my neighbor drive by in his tow truck every single day.
Anyways - me and my next door neighbor ended up getting the exact same violation at the same time/day. However CE never pursued the case against my neighbor. He never complied until he moved out 3+ years later. $0 in fines. But they did go after me and fined me.
I've asked a few different CE Ocers why they pursued the case against me and not my neighbor but I'm yet to receive a straight answer that makes sense.
It took me a while to comply but I did comply. I went through the amnesty program they offer to have my fines forgiven and paid a small administrative fee. Case closed. Or so I thought...
I recently received another violation letter from CE and after a quick search it turned out they never actually closed the previous case and I've been acquiring daily fines for the last 9+ years...
The new "violations" are ridiculous - my trees being taller than 5 ft.! If that's the case then 95% of the entire city would be in violation...
But wait, it gets better! I'm also in violation because my fence is too tall. I pulled permits and the City approved my fence. Now they're saying that I'm in violation for the exact same fence they already approved!?
It's just plain wrong! Call it whatever you wanna call it...
I think you have just made a case against selective enforcement or discrimination.

It might be smart for you to thoroughly read through the City Codes to make sure you are in compliance with everything, especially since the code enforcement officers can easily see your violations from across the street and cite you accordingly. You should be able to review the Code and learn how to fight citations by entering your county/city name in the MuniCode Library link: https://library.municode.com/fl

WhyMeAgain30

I think you have just made a case against selective enforcement or discrimination.

It might be smart for you to thoroughly read through the City Codes to make sure you are in compliance with everything, especially since the code enforcement officers can easily see your violations from across the street and cite you accordingly. You should be able to review the Code and learn how to fight citations by entering your county/city name in the MuniCode Library link: https://library.municode.com/fl
"against?" Could you elaborate?

WhyMeAgain30

Besides the fact that (AFAIK) Rev. Al Sharpton isn't a lawyer?
I knew it that was coming...someone that will be nitpicking every single word. He's not "Reverend" either if you ask me but what's what he calls himself...
Ok, he's a Civil Rights "activist" or a "leader"... is that better?
You chose to pick on one thing and completely ignore another - Ben Crump is a lawyer! You got something to say about that?

quincy

"against?" Could you elaborate?
... My violation consists of cars on my property ... My next door neighbor ended up getting the same violations the same day, only after one of the cops asked me to also move his flatbed tow truck and numerous cars ... they knew very well that tow truck and cars weren't mine ... me and my next door neighbor ended up getting the exact same violation at the same time/day ...
Is/was your neighbor Black or White?

You know something? At this point I don’t really care. :) You’ve been given advice and direction and you can do with it what you please, including ignoring it all (as you seem wont to do).

Good luck fighting the City. I hope you can locate an attorney who is willing to take on the challenge.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I knew it that was coming...someone that will be nitpicking every single word. He's not "Reverend" either if you ask me but what's what he calls himself...
Ok, he's a Civil Rights "activist" or a "leader"... is that better?
You chose to pick on one thing and completely ignore another - Ben Crump is a lawyer! You got something to say about that?
You mentioned Crump in a later post that I had not yet read. And, no, he would not be likely to take your case - it's not in line with the cases he tends to take.

WhyMeAgain30

You mentioned Crump in a later post that I had not yet read. And, no, he would not be likely to take your case - it's not in line with the cases he tends to take.
Exactly! That's the point I was trying to make when someone suggested I need to find a Civil Rights attorney.

Eekamouse

You're a lawyer, you said. why don't you represent yourself? Or don't you have any lawyer friends willing to represent you?

WhyMeAgain30

Why do you concentrate on the part that my neighbor also got cited and completely ignore the rest?! Which is that the City never opened a case against him or fined him. Do you seriously not see a problem here?
Is/was your neighbor Black or White?
I don't know if I should laugh or cry...Take a wild guess. What do you think?
You’ve been given advice and direction and you can do with it what you please, including ignoring it all (as you seem wont to do).
We're having a conversation and we happened to have different opinions. For now. I could be wrong. That's what I'm trying to figure out

Do you think I haven't been wronged or I just don't have a case from a legal standpoint? Or is it too hard to prove it?
Or fighting the City is a lost cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">