• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepmom does not want to care for stepkids while husband is not home. HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

This kinda relates to stealths question about why the kids need childcare, and I admit I'm just curious, but if dad feels that his 12 and 15 year old children do not require a babysitter, does he have to hire one on his time? Or is it his choice to let them take care of themselves?
That is exactly what I was wondering. The kids are old enough to manage during the day while you and your boys come and go on the weekends when Dad isn't there. Mom has no right to complain that the kids are alone if you aren't there. If she does, then Dad should let her know that he attempted to notify her that he would not be available but since she didn't cooperate, he exercised other options.

See where I'm going with this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This kinda relates to stealths question about why the kids need childcare, and I admit I'm just curious, but if dad feels that his 12 and 15 year old children do not require a babysitter, does he have to hire one on his time? Or is it his choice to let them take care of themselves?
Dad is responsible for making the decisions regarding the children on his time and making sure the care of the children is covered. He can choose to let them stay by themselves. But he needs to make sure that the children are picked up for his time if there is NOT a ROFR. If mom wont' watch them because she wants the weekend off she is allowed because it is dad's responsibility to care for his children. That is why he has joint custody NOT visitation.

If the children are mature enough to be alone for a couple hours (and "able" to be alone with no reasons why they shouldn't legally be left) then yes dad can choose to let them be at his home with limited supervision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">