• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

switching therapists while on LTD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand contract specifics will change things a bit, but generally speaking, does moving from one therapist for anxiety/ptsd to another therapist for the exact same symptoms justify any form termination for violating the rules? Have you ever heard of this happening to anyone with a private/employer/etc LTD policy?
It depends on the policy.

I'm just looking for some reassurance, give me the odds, 80% chance of success? I don't know.....
It really depends on the specifics of your policy.

quincy

I see, thank you for clarifying. I have reached out to someone I trust for advice on which therapist to proceed with, but it will be a couple weeks before he gets back to me and I get started. I was thinking of just not mentioning the 2nd therapist and eating the bill for now as I will still have a paycheck coming in that way.

I understand contract specifics will change things a bit, but generally speaking, does moving from one therapist for anxiety/ptsd to another therapist for the exact same symptoms justify any form termination for violating the rules? Have you ever heard of this happening to anyone with a private/employer/etc LTD policy?

I'm just looking for some reassurance, give me the odds, 80% chance of success? I don't know.....

Thanks for the help everyone!
So ... your major concern is that any new or additional therapist you see will not have their fees covered under your current benefits?

Is your current therapist an employer-selected therapist?

I agree with Zigner that there is too much we don’t know to give you any sort of odds. And any odds we were to give would have no value.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't stand this any longer. Professional benefits person here.

IN GENERAL a change of doctors should not affect your benefits.

Only someone who has read your specific policy can say if you fall into the general category or if you are an exception. Speak to a workers comp attorney.

quincy

I can't stand this any longer. Professional benefits person here.

IN GENERAL a change of doctors should not affect your benefits.

Only someone who has read your specific policy can say if you fall into the general category or if you are an exception. Speak to a workers comp attorney.
I agree that switching doctors might not be a problem. Adding an additional doctor could be a problem, if he wants the doctor expenses covered.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think it's quite unlikely. It's rare that disability benefits are tied to a specific doctor. Of course not having read the OP's policy I can't say for certain. but I have yet a see a disability policy where, if a new doctor is seen, benefits are reduced or eliminated automatically.

quincy

I think it's quite unlikely. It's rare that disability benefits are tied to a specific doctor. Of course not having read the OP's policy I can't say for certain. but I have yet a see a disability policy where, if a new doctor is seen, benefits are reduced or eliminated automatically.
johnny_c, have you read over your policy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">