• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher discloses grade in class.(University)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

i'm honestly not trying to be a troll here, and it's not a rhetorical question....

but isn't vocalizing someone's grade in class disclosing academic records, which is protected information under federal law, namely FERPA? probably not, i guess?

but yeah, telling someone in front of the class that they have the lowest grade is really immature, and completely contradicts the statement about college being "big boy school". Being a big boy means having tact, not embarrassing a student who is trying to better themselves in college and can't afford the book to study at home.

"blah blah but he could have done this and blah blah but he could have done that"

still an immature way for the teacher to have handled it. No way would I file a complaint, but I'd be pretty pissed and probably leave a negative comment on that ratemyprofessor site after the semester was over. I may...MAY even write a letter and ask that the teacher be talked to so that they don't do that to students in the future, but I would specifically request that it not be filed as an official complaint.

p.s. the argument that it would be the same as if the teacher told everyone he got the HIGHEST grade...is moronic. One of the 7 elements of crime is harm. That element does not exist in that horrible analogy.

cyjeff

i'm honestly not trying to be a troll here, and it's not a rhetorical question....

but isn't vocalizing someone's grade in class disclosing academic records, which is protected information under federal law, namely FERPA? probably not, i guess?

but yeah, telling someone in front of the class that they have the lowest grade is really immature, and completely contradicts the statement about college being "big boy school". Being a big boy means having tact, not embarrassing a student who is trying to better themselves in college and can't afford the book to study at home.

"blah blah but he could have done this and blah blah but he could have done that"

still an immature way for the teacher to have handled it. No way would I file a complaint, but I'd be pretty pissed and probably leave a negative comment on that ratemyprofessor site after the semester was over. I may...MAY even write a letter and ask that the teacher be talked to so that they don't do that to students in the future, but I would specifically request that it not be filed as an official complaint.

p.s. the argument that it would be the same as if the teacher told everyone he got the HIGHEST grade...is moronic. One of the 7 elements of crime is harm. That element does not exist in that horrible analogy.
Posting history is SO revealing in this case....

OP, Nicole is convinced she got a lower grade due to a lack of religion... not sure that I would use her a source of what is academically right or wrong.

Humusluvr

So I go to class today. I know I didn't do the BEST job since I wasn't able to get my Calculus 3 book until like 2 weeks before the exam..bummer.

Anyway, I go up to the front to get my test, and the teacher goes for my test. She gets it, I see the grade..and I immediately feel like crap...Well, when testing.. the worst case scenario is you make the lowest grade..the cherry on top? Everybody finds out!

Well, before she gives it back to me she says "You made the lowest grade in the class. You might want to consider dropping this class. If you decide to stay in, you might need to do some thing extra" I reply "wow". Because I didn't want to make a scene out of being "the dumbest" person in the class. So I smile and go back to my seat...Feeling violated...Any actions against the school? Or I'll just have to live with that, and the fact that I'll probably never be able to get into study groups, taken seriously by my peers, etc. etc.
Talking with students during class time is not disclosure of academic records - it's common practice. The teacher needed to say something, and it doesn't sound like it was screamed out of displayed in front of the other students. If the teacher had POSTED the grades with the students names next to them, that would be against FERPA, but not talking to the student.

The student feels shamed by the low grade and being talked to by the teacher. That happens EVERY DAY in academia. It's the student's own actions that will lead to whether he progresses, joins study groups, is taken seriously. He admits he didn't even buy the book, hence he knew it was coming....

This student should drop it and get on with his life. Seriously, not that big a deal, not a legal case or even close, not even worth a letter to tattle on the prof.

I just gave my first big exam to my class of 170 students. I had a lot of low grades, but some good ones. I "called out" the best student in the class by giving her a Starbucks gift card, and asking her, in front of the whole class, how she had done so well. She said, "I read all the pages you told me, I looked at the presentations you posted online, and I re-wrote my notes." and I said to the class, "If you want to do as well as her, those are some great suggestions, now, on to Chapter 6." I did get some emails, I did get some challenges, but I always deal with them in my office, not in public.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

OP, Nicole is convinced she got a lower grade due to a lack of religion... not sure that I would use her a source of what is academically right or wrong.
Ditto that. OP - if you want to do better, try doing the required work. There were work-arounds wrt the text - library, speaking with the professor, secondhand, etc. If you DON'T want to do the required work? Then your prof was right - you may want to drop the course.

Reading comprehension skills are so evident in this case. I don't believe that at all, my name is not nicole, and i'm not even a girl...all things that could be determined from reading that thread.

OP, not sure that I would use cyjeff as a source of what is academically right or wrong.

Last edited:
Talking with students during class time is not disclosure of academic records - it's common practice. The teacher needed to say something, and it doesn't sound like it was screamed out of displayed in front of the other students. If the teacher had POSTED the grades with the students names next to them, that would be against FERPA, but not talking to the student.

The student feels shamed by the low grade and being talked to by the teacher. That happens EVERY DAY in academia. It's the student's own actions that will lead to whether he progresses, joins study groups, is taken seriously. He admits he didn't even buy the book, hence he knew it was coming....

This student should drop it and get on with his life. Seriously, not that big a deal, not a legal case or even close, not even worth a letter to tattle on the prof.

I just gave my first big exam to my class of 170 students. I had a lot of low grades, but some good ones. I "called out" the best student in the class by giving her a Starbucks gift card, and asking her, in front of the whole class, how she had done so well. She said, "I read all the pages you told me, I looked at the presentations you posted online, and I re-wrote my notes." and I said to the class, "If you want to do as well as her, those are some great suggestions, now, on to Chapter 6." I did get some emails, I did get some challenges, but I always deal with them in my office, not in public.
I guess I'm operating under the assumption that this was stated loud enough that other classmates surely heard it. Maybe that is incorrect. And are you assuming that others did not hear it and the OP is simply embarrassed that this was said at all? I sure hope that isn't why the OP made this thread, because that would definitely make this ridiculous...

Last edited:

libellous

I understand the OP's main point is silly that "shame" of grades warrants anything, but excuse my ignornance (law is an interest, i make no claims I know what I am talking about, just trying to learn ;) )

but how is disclosing verbally any different than disclosing online in regard to FERPA?

"Disclosure" means to permit access to or the release, transfer, or other communication
of personally identifiable information contained in education records to any party, by any
means, including oral, written, or electronic means.
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1232g(b)(1)).

Even if this is "common practice" it does seem that it would constitute for disclosure of educational records, no?

I am not even posting in reference to OP's post, just curious as to why if a professor announced a student's grades infront of other students, why it wouldnt be disclosure of educational info?

Last edited:

Humusluvr

I understand the OP's main point is silly that "shame" of grades warrants anything, but excuse my ignornance (law is an interest, i make no claims I know what I am talking about, just trying to learn ;) )

but how is disclosing verbally any different than disclosing online in regard to FERPA?

"Disclosure" means to permit access to or the release, transfer, or other communication
of personally identifiable information contained in education records to any party, by any
means, including oral, written, or electronic means.
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1232g(b)(1)).

Even if this is "common practice" it does seem that it would constitute for disclosure of educational records, no?

I am not even posting in reference to OP's post, just curious as to why if a professor announced a student's grades infront of other students, why it wouldnt be disclosure of educational info?
It's impossible to know, since the OP hasn't returned, but there are several possible situations that could have occurred here.

TO ME - it seems like the OP's teacher grabbed his test, looked at him and said, "consider dropping, your grade was bad." That would have been a private conversation between the two people, and though others may have overheard, it's unlikely. The OP may have felt shamed, but in all liklihood, nobody was even paying attention. Students tend to be self absorbed, and not really worried about some other kid's grades.

Now if the teacher had grabbed his test, dramatically held it up with a giant red F, circled, and gestured to the OP, and said, in front of the class by commanding all their attentions, "You failed, drop the class." If he was made a public spectacle, that would be a problem.

One of the most misunderstood education laws is FERPA. People tend to try to make it say what they want it to say. FERPA is the disclosure of records - like a gradebook, confidential file, or other educational RECORDS. A test hasn't neccisarily become a record until it is filed with all the other grades from the class. That's why discloing every student's grades by posting all the test scores has become a no no in schools - but was commonplace at the time I was in school.

Part of the reason (I believe) in the decline of our educational system. There's no competition, and no shame in education anymore. When I was in school, everyone knew who the failures were. And those failures had to work to no longer be failures. Now, kids can be sinking failures who never improve, and no one knows. There's no social pressure to improve. Ah, kids and their "feelings." I'm sure there's a lot of teacher who read this board and believe every child is a butterfly and we should make them individual education plans because they are "special," but I believe schools should be getting our kids ready to be citizens, and work as a community. Everyone wants to be special - and feels entitled and wants to sue when their feelings are hurt. These kids need to grow up, because the real world doesn't care if you FEEL special, it cares if you do something special.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Part of the reason (I believe) in the decline of our educational system. There's no competition, and no shame in education anymore. When I was in school, everyone knew who the failures were. And those failures had to work to no longer be failures. Now, kids can be sinking failures who never improve, and no one knows. There's no social pressure to improve. Ah, kids and their "feelings." I'm sure there's a lot of teacher who read this board and believe every child is a butterfly and we should make them individual education plans because they are "special," but I believe schools should be getting our kids ready to be citizens, and work as a community. Everyone wants to be special - and feels entitled and wants to sue when their feelings are hurt. These kids need to grow up, because the real world doesn't care if you FEEL special, it cares if you do something special.
I not only love humus, I think I may love you! Come here for a {{{hug}}}!

LOL

Seriously - I have to agree. Now, I DO think everyone IS special. But that does not mean that everyone needs to be and do the same things. Not everyone of us is a Stephen Hawking, or a Derek Jeter, or a Steve Jobs. Some of us are Joe the Plumber. Or Stephie the Hairdresser. Or Lucy the Checkout Girl. And that is really okay. In fact - it's MORE than okay. Each of us is a cog in the wheel that makes our world run smoothly. Some are smarter, some are prettier, some are more handy - at the end of the day, we all give what we have. Or we should. And THAT is where the problem lies.

It's not that it's no longer good enough to give what we have. It's that we (generic we) no longer feel we NEED to do so. Because we're all special and that should be enough. It's not. We should all feel that we ARE special, and what we contribute is important. Scientist, plumber, clerk, ditch digger, etc. And yes, writer, musician, artist... We also need beauty in the world.

/soapbox.

Humusluvr

I not only love humus, I think I may love you! Come here for a {{{hug}}}!

LOL

Seriously - I have to agree. Now, I DO think everyone IS special. But that does not mean that everyone needs to be and do the same things. Not everyone of us is a Stephen Hawking, or a Derek Jeter, or a Steve Jobs. Some of us are Joe the Plumber. Or Stephie the Hairdresser. Or Lucy the Checkout Girl. And that is really okay. In fact - it's MORE than okay. Each of us is a cog in the wheel that makes our world run smoothly. Some are smarter, some are prettier, some are more handy - at the end of the day, we all give what we have. Or we should. And THAT is where the problem lies.

It's not that it's no longer good enough to give what we have. It's that we (generic we) no longer feel we NEED to do so. Because we're all special and that should be enough. It's not. We should all feel that we ARE special, and what we contribute is important. Scientist, plumber, clerk, ditch digger, etc. And yes, writer, musician, artist... We also need beauty in the world.

/soapbox.
Well, thanks. I'm blushing :)

Maybe I don't think people are inherently special, I think we are special based on what we do. Kids these days seem to think if they buy designer clothes, put nekkid pics of themselves on the internet, have a trucker-mouth, and are sleezy - someone will give them a reality show and they'll be set. What every happened to someone working hard to be the star of the volleyball team, making mom proud, getting great grades, being accepted to a great college, being published, getting degrees, helping the needy - all great things that would make people special. I don't think for one second I am special because I'm on this forum - I think I'm special because I contribute to the education of thousands of students, making them better thinkers, making them in turn successful.

Even the McDonalds worker, ditch digger, or plumber can be special in the lives of their children, their church, their friends, or people who need them. Failure is placed blame - the mentality that because that TEACHER failed me, it's the TEACHER'S fault, and I'm entitled blah blah blah......

Own your F, get past your F, it's your own dang fault you got an F, an F doesn't define you unless you let it. Pull up your big boy panties and get a grip on life. Because your life is YOUR fault - good or bad, and you can't ever sue your way to a better life.

Mass_Shyster

"Disclosure" means to permit access to or the release, transfer, or other communication of personally identifiable information contained in education records to any party, by any means, including oral, written, or electronic means. (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1232g(b)(1)).
I don't know if "You made the lowest grade in the class" is personally identifiable information. If it is, publishing the name of the Valedictorian would likewise violate the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">