• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher discloses grade in class.(University)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't see where she revealed the grade. She said it was the lowest but she didn't state that you received a 12 and missed everything but how to spell your name.

libellous

I don't know if "You made the lowest grade in the class" is personally identifiable information. If it is, publishing the name of the Valedictorian would likewise violate the law.
Please read the rest of my post.

I stated that I was not referencing at all the OP, or that situation, but merely arguing that orally releasing grades infront of other students would still violate FERPA's disclosure statutes

Unlike most people though, I do infact check my own opinions and happy to admit im wrong:

As suggested by the Supreme Count in Owasso, 534 U.S. at 435, FERPA is not intended to interfere with a teacher’s ability to carry out customary practices, such as group grading of team
assignments within the classroom. Just as FERPA does not prevent teachers from allowing students to grade a test or homework assignment of another student or from calling out that grade in
class, even though the grade may eventually become an education record, FERPA does not prohibit the discussion of group or individual grades on classroom group projects, so long as
those individual grades have not yet been recorded by the teacher.
(Federal Register: http://www2.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/finrule/2008-4/120908a.pdf)

So it seems as though the key point in orally releasing grades is whether or not the grade has actually been recorded.

Last edited:

Silverplum

I stated that I was not referencing at all the OP, or that situation, but merely arguing that orally releasing grades infront of other students would still violate FERPA's disclosure statutes
You don't need to discuss general law issues -- unrelated to the OP's thread -- IN the OP's thread.

libellous said:
Unlike most people though, I do infact check my own opinions and happy to admit im wrong:
You're treading in dangerous waters with "most people" references. :rolleyes:

libellous said:
(Federal Register: http://www2.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/finrule/2008-4/120908a.pdf)

So it seems as though the key point in orally releasing grades is whether or not the grade has actually been recorded.

libellous

You don't need to discuss general law issues -- unrelated to the OP's thread -- IN the OP's thread.

You're treading in dangerous waters with "most people" references. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why I am being singled out considering I am replying to a general law issue someone else already started discussing which was unrelated. I also think you would be hard pressed to find a thead where general law issues outside of the OP's topics arent discussed.

Not sure what the "..." was for. I did more research and found I was partially wrong partially right. FERPA only protects grades from being orally disclosed if they were recorded as offical grades.

Last edited:

Humusluvr

One of the most misunderstood education laws is FERPA. People tend to try to make it say what they want it to say. FERPA is the disclosure of records - like a gradebook, confidential file, or other educational RECORDS. A test hasn't necessarily become a record until it is filed with all the other grades from the class. That's why disclosing every student's grades by posting all the test scores has become a no no in schools - but was commonplace at the time I was in school. .
Quoting myself - back in post #26 - I explained that the test wasn't a record until it was recorded.

HA! well this definitely blows my theory to bits. thanks (not sarcastic)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">