• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teenager Clothes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penelope10

I totally understand teaching the daughter values, but I don't think the kid should have to use her allowance to purchase the clothes she wears. That would be mom and dad's job.

Now when my kiddo wanted a Coach purse, I certainly did make her save up and pay for that on her own.
LIL Bit would is a real tight wad. I can't imagine her asking for a Coach and I darn sure can't see her spending the money on one.(It's really out of our price range). She does not have a problem with her friends having those things, her attitude is to each their own. I think that's why she is so well liked.

Several years ago she went on a choir trip to New York. She bought a knock off Coach. One of the other girls went to the Coach Store and bought herself a $300 real Coach. Then she struggled and whined the rest of the trip regarding meals etc. because she was almost totally broke. LIL Bit was not very sympathetic--she thought she was foolish not to have budgeted well.

Now I will have to admit that one of the pairs of tennis shoes I bought for her were Coach. Converse tennies here have been in style for over a year. I offered to buy her pair and she didn't want me to because she felt they were too expensive. I got the Coach shoes at a real steal, found them during a big sale plus I had a frequent shopper discount card that made them less expensive them the Converse.(They are Converse style tennis shoes) As I said she was thrilled and so grateful. In fact, she said she felt bad about me spending the money and wanted to pay me back. (Which of course I refused).

This is the same child that offers to buy her own shampoo etc at the grocery store. She buys her makeup at Walmart and her toiletries there also at times.

Last edited:

sipa

Let me tell you. Forever XXI has some pretty dang cute clothes. I just about bought out the store a few weeks ago for ME. I love their halter tops that are loose and flowy but gathered around the hips. They work great with everything.:D
Hmmm I think you ladies just saved me some money, I think I better take the kids to Forever XXI especially if it gets me out of Aeropastal and American Eagle and Hollister.
I completely forgot about Delia's or however you spell it until you guys mentioned it here.

I already had the Plato's closet thing down after losing 76 lbs I shopped there to get my everyday clothes there.

God it's amazing what you learn here....kudo's now off to search that store name and see if there are any here in Jersey!

mommyof4

Hmmm I think you ladies just saved me some money, I think I better take the kids to Forever XXI especially if it gets me out of Aeropastal and American Eagle and Hollister.
I completely forgot about Delia's or however you spell it until you guys mentioned it here.

I already had the Plato's closet thing down after losing 76 lbs I shopped there to get my everyday clothes there.

God it's amazing what you learn here....kudo's now off to search that store name and see if there are any here in Jersey!

I was thrilled when my daughter decided she had enough hoodies and tees from Aero and AE. I was sick of looking at them. Now she has cute, appropriate girly clothes. Ahhhh, teenage girls.....nothing more aggravting or more fun.:p

penelope10

Whoops I didn't spell it right its- dELiAs (same caps etc)They are always running sales. T-shirts are big here and they do have the cutest t's on sale for like two for $12.00 all the time. Plus after your first time shopping on the web they'll send a 15% off entire purchase card. And they use punch cards in the stores there too.

Antigone*

Give this to hubby ~ penelope!!!

The Price of Children

This is just too good not to pass on to all. Here is something absolutely positive for a change. We've all repeatedly seen the breakdown of the cost of raising a child, but this is the first time I have seen the rewards listed this way. It's nice.

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about price shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140.00 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into:
* $8,896.66 a year,
* $741.38 a month,
* $171.08 a week..
* A mere $24.24 a day!
* Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice is: don't have children if you want to be 'rich.' Actually, it is just the opposite.

What do you get for your $160,140.00?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles and flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.

For $160,140.00, you never have to grow up. You get to:
* finger-paint,
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs,
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.

You have an excuse to:
* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
* watch Saturday morning cartoons,
* go to Disney movies, and
* wish on stars.

You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodlewreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.

For a mere $24.24 a day, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:
* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and
* coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice
cream regardless.

You get a front row seat in history to witness the:
* First step,
* First word,
* First date,
* First time behind the wheel.

You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great-grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match..

In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost. That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!

penelope10

The Price of Children

This is just too good not to pass on to all. Here is something absolutely positive for a change. We've all repeatedly seen the breakdown of the cost of raising a child, but this is the first time I have seen the rewards listed this way. It's nice.

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about price shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140.00 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into:
* $8,896.66 a year,
* $741.38 a month,
* $171.08 a week..
* A mere $24.24 a day!
* Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice is: don't have children if you want to be 'rich.' Actually, it is just the opposite.

What do you get for your $160,140.00?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles and flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.

For $160,140.00, you never have to grow up. You get to:
* finger-paint,
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs,
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.

You have an excuse to:
* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
* watch Saturday morning cartoons,
* go to Disney movies, and
* wish on stars.

You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodlewreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.

For a mere $24.24 a day, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:
* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and
* coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice
cream regardless.

You get a front row seat in history to witness the:
* First step,
* First word,
* First date,
* First time behind the wheel.

You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great-grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match..

In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost. That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!
Wonderful!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!:)

wileybunch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi gang--just having a small problem with Dad again and wanted to get your opinions.

Lil Bit goes and visits her Dad on Tue. and Thur and every other weekend. She brings from my house any clothes that she needs, plus what little makeup she wears, her flat iron etc. My house is on the way to school, so in the mornings during the week she drops her things off at my house.

Dad gives her an allowance which she is putting aside for college.

Dad has now informed her that going by my house is too big a hassle. (It's not even 1 minute out of the way). He wants her to buy clothes and makeup to keep at his home with the allowance he gives her. She has told me that she sees no reason why she needs to have double stuff at both homes. Plus if she forgets something she just does without while she is at Dad's.

The clothes go to his house clean, and if anything gets dirty that is needed, then she does her own laundry there. She also washes the clothes she brings back here.

Do you think that she is being out of line?
Honestly, the bolded part is where you would just need to listen to her without giving any advice or owning the problem. You're not her warrior or protector with regard to her dad so in one ear/out the other.

kimberlywrites

You know my kiddo used to be happy with WalMart and Target. I'm not sure what the heck happened. Do you think it has anything to do with her turning 10:eek:.

Penelope, get her some extra clothes to keep at dad's. You're Lil Bit should never have to use her allowance that way. Dad is a dork to even think that way.
I totally hear you! My daughter, also 10, came home and said all the fourth-graders were having an "Abercrombie and Fitch" shirt day. She does not have one of those t-shirts. She saved her money though and I took her to the mall, showed her she could get two shirts at THIS store, or ONE shirt at THAT store...she went for the one shirt. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">